Book suggestions for 2nd graders?

suzct

<font color=darkgreen>Obviously,I need simple inst
I am the mystery reader in my DD class this Friday. We need to bring 2 or 3 books to read to the class. I was thinking a Thanksgivig theme would be good , but also want something they'll really enjoy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks I appreciate the input.
SuzCT

If you specifically want Thanksgiving, 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving' by Dav Pilkey is fun as is 'A Turkey For Thanksgiving' by Eve Bunting.
There are also the SkippyJon Jones books. I'm fond of the original 'SkippyJon Jones' & 'SkippyJon Jones in Mummy Trouble'.

Any other suggestions? Good books for 2nd graders??
Thanks

Molly's Pilgrim (excellent book for 2nd graders)
Long Way to a New Land
Follow the Drinking Gourd (not the original but an I can read book)
A Turkey for Thanksgiving
The Great Turkey Race
the Great Turkey Rescue
thanksgiving with teh Tappletons
Non-Thanksgiving
any Kevin Henkes book (Chester's Way and Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse are our favorites)
Arthur books
Dragon books (Dav Pilkey)
Robert Munsch books

that is it off of the top of my head. if i think of more i will add

I read my second grader's class "How Big is a Million?" and the kids and the teacher loved it! It follows a little penguin in trying to find a million of something, and in a pocket at the end of the book is a huge poster with a million stars.

If you specifically want Thanksgiving, 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving' by Dav Pilkey is fun as is 'A Turkey For Thanksgiving' by Eve Bunting.
There are also the SkippyJon Jones books. I'm fond of the original 'SkippyJon Jones' & 'SkippyJon Jones in Mummy Trouble'.

"Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving" is what I was going to suggest! My third graders love it. Dav Pilkey is one of their favorite authors.

For non-Thanksgiving books, anything by William Steig. I have a DS7 and his favorites are The Amazing Bone and Dr DeSoto.

These are the two books I was going to suggest. I teach 2nd grade, and my students have always loved these books. 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving is really funny and A Turkey for Thanksgiving is heartwarming.

For a non-Thanksgiving book, I would suggest The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. (Another book my students LOVE!)

Thanks so much for all your great suggestions!
Suzct

I don't have any Thanksgiving suggestions but what about some of the Magic Tree house books?
My DS6 is in 1st grade and he loves them and I know when DD9 was in 2nd grade her teacher read some of those to them.

You're wanting one to read to them, right? So, a picture book, not a chapter book? My students (K and 3rd) LOVE Robert Munsch books. They are hilarious! Stephanie's Ponytail, We Share Everything, Alligator Baby, and I'm So Embarrassed are all wonderful. Plus, they are very fun to read aloud b/c there's so much expression in them.

I read Curious George to my son's 2nd grade class and they loved it. A lot of them had never heard of Curious George - always one of my favorites and was the first book I bought DS13.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter