• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book Series Recommendations

Also, if your DD hasn't read them yet, the Flat Stanley books are good. .

There are 3 or so new ones in the Flat Stanley series...flat stanley around the world, or something like that. One is about a trip to Mt. Rushmore, which my DS loved because he went there with his dad this summer. One of the other ones is about Egypt and the pyramids.

Dh and I both read and loved the Hobbit at this age. It is a great adventure story, and and he is reading it now with DD5. Phillip Pullman is good when they are a little oolder, I would say 9-10. I think she could handle the first couple of Harry Potter books. #3 would be a judgement call, and I would not let her read #4 untill about 9-10. I will have to look at the other young adult ficton we have when I get home for recommendations. WE are a big adventure story family, so that is mostly what we read.

My DD7 reads the Disney Fairies books, and she really likes the Rainbow Magic Books - they have multiple series of different types of fairies. There's some Weather Fairy ones (each book is always named "so-&-so the snow fairy" etc.

Some kids are just late bloomers. I despaired for my niece, who was an excellent reader but didn't read for fun at the same ages I had. Suddenly she started reading for pleasure at around age 9 and now at 11 pretty much has a book with her at all times.

Books I've personally read and would suggest:

Secret of Castle Cant (Bath, K.P.) decent-sized, but written to a lower age
Historical House Series -- 6 books that tell the stories of 6 different girls...the link? They live in the same house at different points in history
Cressida Cowell's "How to Be" books (How To be a Pirate, etc...)
Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo
Carole Marsh Mysteries
Fog Mound series (3 books so far), Susan Schade -- a mix between comic and normal novel...fun & entertaining
Runt the Brave (and sequel Runt the Hunted), Daniel Schwabauer
Series of Unfortunate Events (as previously mentioned)

There's other GREAT reads I could mention, but that might be at a slightly higher level.

My daughter read some books with a character named "Emily Windsnap". She really liked them, I think there were three books and the name was in the title. And she always enjoyed the American Girl series, I think she has read all the historical books.

Twilight!!!

My DD was 10 when she got Twilight (1) and New Moon (2) and just finished recently...now 11. She won't read unless she's forced to. She read a few chapters in school, and at home. She really enjoyed Twilight. She has New Moon and Eclipse. She needs to have Breaking Dawn and...Midnight Sun...? i Think she said. It's 400 something pages...:confused3

~Jen

While these books are a bit easy for her now, she still loves to get the new ones as soon as they come out. I will also put in a vote for the Judy Moody and Katie Kazoo books.

For what it's worth neither of my girls liked Junie B. Jones or the Magic Treehouse books.

ITA here. My dd loved Judy Moody and Katie Kazoo around that age. They're chapter books that are fairly short (especially Katie Kazoo), about 3rd graders. She could really relate to them. The Katie Kazoo books are great for teaching empathy.

My dd also didn't like Junie B Jones, but she did like Magic Treehouse.

Also, look at some of the books by Kate DiCamillo. At 12, my dd still wants to read new ones that she publishes (except the Tiger one, stay away).

For reading together, aloud, the best book ever was "the Penderwicks, a tale of 4 sisters, 2 rabbits a dog and a boy." Our all time favorite laugh out loud book.

Hiya,

my girls 7 and 8 both loved the Rainbow Magic series - and another vote for Franny-k-stein. Also any Enid Blyton series - Famous 5 in particular. Little Women is also being read by my 8 year old (and cried over - Beth) The children's classic Anne of Green Gables books are also popular - and The Worst Witch series.

I am lucky that I also have 2 little bookworms - they are never bored when there is access to a book.

Tessa

I second Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Little House, American Girl. Take her to a library or bookstore and let her wander around and find things, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter