Book recommendations?...

The Diana Gabaldon about Lord Jim was just okay...I've read the Outlander series, and while I enjoyed them I think Anya Seton's Katherine, Green Darkness, and The Winthrop Woman are much better historical romances. Also, if you like a good mystery try Elizabeth George...Playing for the Ashes, Well Schooled in Murder, and In the Presence of the Enemy are my favorites. The Mitford series by Jan Karon are wonderful, as are the novels by Fannie Flagg, most of the Oprah books, and Charmed Lives by Micheal Korda.

"Suzannes Diary for Nicholas", AWESOME BOOK, but took me about an hour to read (yes, I read very fast, and I couldn't put it down.) "Lovely Bones", blah very disappointing. Anything by James Patterson, John Grisham, Robin Cooke, would be great for a cruise. If your looking for timely romance novels, Jude Deveraux would be my personal favorite. Also if your into Stephen King at all, his books are so complex and so filled with characters, that you have to read it slowly SO one of his books should last at least as long as your cruise!

Had to add my two cents. I am mainly a "Fantasy" genre person, so some of these might be too "fantasy" for some - but they are my favorites, and I've read alot of Fantasy.

Mercedes Lackey - already mentioned I think, but I think her best work is the "Last Herald Mage" series
Anne Bishop - Black Jewels Trilogy
David Eddings - The Belgariad series (and pretty much anything else by him)
Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon (this is more Arthurian than Fantasy, and very enjoyable)
David Gemmel - Rigante series, can't thinkof the title of some others - Ravenheart maybe?
George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones/A Clash of Kings and the third in the series which I can't remember the name of - it might be up to four now, but I can't see spending the $$ on hardcover!
Raymond E Feist - Riftwar Saga, other books are good too
Tad Williams - can't think of the name of the series, but includes The DRagonbone Chair, To Green Angel Tower (Parts 1 & 2)

Thats all I can think of right now - enjoy your reading, I know I am looking forward to it when we finally get our cruise (Feb '05) as long as DS likes the Kids Club!

Dana Gabaldon fans....I thought I was the only one with a thing for Jamie...lol

Thanks for the great book list. I've been reading Nora Roberts and I find her books very easy reading, romance with a twist of supernatural.

Happy cruisng.

One of my new favorites is Life of Pi, which must be doubly interesting on a cruise! Everyone who I've talked with who has read it comes out fascinated and with more questions than answers!

What an amazing book list! I have read first 2 in the
Gabledon series...oooh Jamie :-)
I will be checking out the list at Borders tomorrow! We are taking a train to Orlando, so will have about 2 and a half days of travel time. The kids and I play card and word games, but you better believe I will find plenty of reading time!
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!
NSwift
:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter