• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book recommendations for 2nd grade?

tmarquez

DIS Veteran
Hi

My DD is in 2nd grade and I really need some book suggestions for her. She LOVES the Magic Tree House books but has read them all. She hates Junie B Jones (not sure why). I think she likes adventure type books...or as she calls them "boy books".

Any ideas? Thanks!

Depending on how strong of a reader she is...There is a really great series called the 39 Clues, very action-adventure oriented. (Brother and sister on a quest around the world...my DS has read a few of them.) But they are quite a bit harder than MTH or Junie B.

For not girly reading a touch easier...My Weird School(easiest) or My Weird School Daze (slightly harder)--set in a school, wacky teachers, etc. What about the Judy Moody books--or the ones about her little brother, Stink? Geronimo Stilton are fun/funny too--a little bit silly, and lots of pictures, it's about a mouse who is the editor of a newspaper and has all sorts of adventures.

Oh...thought of another series...If she likes history ( since a lot of the MTH books are based on historical events) , there is a series where every book starts with the words "You wouldn't want to..." and they cover topics ranging from ancient egypt, to america, and a lot of stuff in between. My DS's current favorites are YWWT Sail on the Titanic and YWWT be a Civil War Soldier. Lots of cartoony pictures, but good information in there too. I'd put the reading at a touch harder than MTH, but not much.

Fun topic, hope I gave you a few ideas. Happy Reading!

I was at Borders the other day and they had The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. I was so excited. I remember reading those. Funny...my DD7 is really into Junie B. and I can't stand her. I read it with her and have to tell her that such and such is not a real word constantly. She said, "I know...it is just the way she talks." But...I also hear her laughing out loud when she is reading and it is so cute. She also likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid. She also loves horses so we have the Misty and Stormy books about Chincoteague.

My dd loves Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew. Also, Judy Blume's The Pain and the Great One series.

I hate Junie B. The language is a turnoff...wishing the school didn't read to the kids.

What about the A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy? He also does the Capitol Mysteries set. My DS 6 loves them.

What about the Pippi Longstocking books, they have a female lead but they're very adventurous, maybe she'd appreciate stories that show that girls can be adventurers too. :thumbsup2

Or is she ready for some classic adventures? Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz?

Or what about some of those great Roald Dahl books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or The BFG: Big Friendly Giant (my personal favorite)? :yay:

What about the A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy? He also does the Capitol Mysteries set. My DS 6 loves them.

I was just going to suggest those too. My oldest loves those books and can read 1 a day since they aren't that big. He also loves Magic Tree House and finally started reading The 39 Clues. (Been trying all summer and now that he returned to school and someone else mentioned they like them he is all into them.)

What about the Sisters Grimm series? Might be a little harder since it is a pretty long book but it does a great job putting a twist on the fairy tales we grew up with and mixing in mystery.

My DD loved the Animal Ark series at that age. Also Encyclopedia Brown, A to Z Mysteries, the Disney Fairies books, Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, and the Ramona books.

Box Car Children books are good for that age. The Romona books are good as well. So depends on her reading level. Maybe charlotte's web?

My dd just started 4th grade and also loved the Magic Tree House books and was totally not interested in Junie B. June.

I have to second the Geronimo Stilton books...also the Thea Stilton line (has girls as the main characters).

You may want to look at the Rainbow Fairy books. There is a LARGE collection of them and they are published in groups (color fairies, music fairies, seasonal fairies, sports fairies, etc). I would say they are on about the same level or just a smidge higher than the MTH and JBJ books.

Dd is currently 3/4 of the way through the Sister's Grimm series. They are definitely MUCH more difficult than 2nd grade, but great to keep in mind for the future.

Dd also likes some of the graphic novel series' that are available like Bone and Bad Kitty.

DS likes Dragon Slayer Academy books and the Dragonology Chronicles. DD loves the Disney Faires series. Also as others have mentioned 39 Clues and Stink

A to Z mysteries, boxcar children, bobsy twins (got these used don't know if you can still purchase them), and Cam Jansen have all been favs at our house at that age. I know you said 'boy' books, but have you looked at American Girl books? Some are pretty girlie I guess but not others. The Kaya series specifically didn't feel girlie to me.

Try checking out the non-fiction section. My children both loved reading from there - My daughter biographies and Historical stuff; My son science - anything about animals. They loved reading about other places. There are 3 books in a series about Koko the Gorilla that my son loved. Another series is A Picture Book of _____. Fill in the blank with names like Abraham Lincoln, Benjamin Franklin, George Washingtonh

ooh forgot another couple of authors -

bill myers - humorous series "my life as Dinosaur Dental floss" and others; he writes childrens to adults

Jesse Haas - If you can still get ahold of anything by her, we loved it all; there were very low level series of books all the way through middle school books. The low level books are rated for 2nd grade, but are more of a picture book. Picture book or not, my 6th grader and my 4th grader both pick them up occasionally and flip through them again and again. I can't remember if she does chapter books for that age.

I don't necessarily know the appropriate age levels for these suggested books - my dd was a very advanced reader; and my son a very low level reader.

Parent Read alouds:
A Long Way from Chicago & A Year Down Yonder
both by Richard Peck.
Very very funny books!!!:rotfl:
Probably easier to read than Hardy Boys and on the same level with
Boxcar kids.

Little House in the Big Woods
Little House on the Prairie

and all the rest of that series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Total classics! :goodvibes

You could try The Secrets of Droon series they are a little like magic tree house but a little bit harder, my oldest really liked those.. They are adventure books with 2 boys and 2 girls.
More of a girl series but Ivy and Bean are good aswell as Judy Moody. They are really funny.
Gordan Korman books, there are trilogies and books on their own

I have twin boys in third grade this year. Here's a few favorites they've read in the past year:

Stink and Judy Moody Series by Megan McDonald
Diary of a Wimpy Kid series - they've read these several times
Flat Stanley Series by Jeff Brown
Freckle Juice - Judy Bloom
Dinosaur Cove series - Rex Stone
Sideways Stories from the Wayside School - Louis Sachaa
Phineas & Ferb chapter books

I also agree with previous poster's suggestion of non-fiction. I've found some good age-appropriate non fiction in the Level 3 and 4 "Easy Readers". Some examples:
Thomas Jefferson's Feast by Frank Murphy
Tut's Mummy by Judy Donnelly
The Titanic by Judy Donnelly
A Horse Named Seabiscuit by Cathy East Dubowski
The First Thanksgiving by Linda Howard

OP here. Thank you so much everyone! We'll be heading to the library and the bookstore this weekend.

DD is an above grade level reader, but when she reads for "fun" she likes to read a little easier books (like the Magic Tree House books). She really needs new books for her required school reading because they only go to the school library once a week and can only check out 1 book, it's just not enough.

One of ds7's recent favorites was the "My Father's Dragon" trilogy. He also loves Captain Underpants :( He's another one who is an advanced reader, but prefers easier stuff to read for pleasure.

My dd is entering first, but reads on a 3rd grade level. She is into Cam Jansen these days... says they are fun and easy to read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter