Book now or wait? Airline question

OrangeJuice

DIS Veteran
Hey!
We are going to Disney for our honeymoon (Aug 13-19 plus or minus a few days). Right now WestJet and AirCanada are quoting 1600(taxes in) for two leaving Moncton. With a promo code for 15% from Air Canada I can get it for 1400$ for 2. What I'm wondering is if I should book now with the promo code or hope that the prices go down in the next months.

*Promo code needs to be used before Dec 31st.

OrangeJuice

I am probably stating the obvious .... but if you drive to Halifax, you could fly with those dates for $500 a person .... Or 370 a person from Portland Maine ...

$800 a person is hard for me to take ... I guess it all depends how important it is to (a) get those dates and (b) fly from Moncton and (c) avoid risk of price increases.

I am probably stating the obvious .... but if you drive to Halifax, you could fly with those dates for $500 a person .... Or 370 a person from Portland Maine ...

$800 a person is hard for me to take ... I guess it all depends how important it is to (a) get those dates and (b) fly from Moncton and (c) avoid risk of price increases.

Hey Ted,
I agree with you. We did just that last year and left from Halifax for less then 1000$ total. I priced a trip leaving from halifax for the same dates and right now it comes up as 1400$ so for us leaving from Moncton is worth more then saving 200$ (even less when you count for gas and parking at the airport).

Believe me I would love to change the dates to something more practical but that's what we can fit right now so we are taking it. Also because it's our honeymoon we like the peace of mind that comes from being able to have someone drop you off at the airport and pick you up and not have a 4 hour drive afterwards.

Anyways that being said, I'm not familiar with how prices fluctuate as you get closer to your date. So that's more what I'm curious about.

Halifax (YHZ) to Orlando (MCO) - Mon, Aug 13
American Halifax (YHZ) to New York (JFK) - Mon, Aug 13
American 4458 Dep: 6:30AM Arr: 7:40AM 2h 10m Embraer ERJ-140 Coach (Q)

OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE Layover in JFK 4h 20m

American New York (JFK) to Orlando (MCO) - Mon, Aug 13
American 1469 Dep: 12:00PM Arr: 2:35PM 2h 35m Boeing 737 Coach (Q)

Orlando (MCO) to Halifax (YHZ) - Sat, Aug 18
American Orlando (MCO) to New York (JFK) - Sat, Aug 18
American 630 Dep: 11:55AM Arr: 2:30PM 2h 35m Boeing 757 Coach (Q)

Layover in JFK 4h 25m

American New York (JFK) to Halifax (YHZ) - Sat, Aug 18
American 4472 Dep: 6:55PM Arr: 10:00PM 2h 5m Embraer ERJ-140 Coach (Q)

OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) CA$496.26
Total cost for 2 passengers CA$992.52

I see fares on aa.com now for around $500 for your dates ...

Thanks Ted. I feel stupid now I completely forgot to check other airlines then Air Canada. That's what christmas vacation does to ya haha.. Anyways thats good to know if we decide to leave from Halifax.

HI :goodvibes I faced the exact same dilemma, except we are flying from Edmnton, AB and there are 3 of us. I have had my eye on flights all yr. Long, and have not seen any movement with regards to seat sales. I have been seeing prices of $369 each way. Plus, add taxes on top of that.....so what I ended up doing was I took the AC pin code and booked our return leg so far....$950 for the three of us.....I looked at it as $300 for each of us.....not bad considering I had been seeing rates as high as $1350 per leg!, :scared1:

I am now keeping my eyes peeled for the West Jet tickets I want for our departure schedule....I am hoping that WJ may have a sale and I can get those tickets I want for around another $900 .....if so, I will feel relieved to have gotten 3 tickets for approx $1,800 in today's crazy economy. I thought about what the highest price I'd feel comfortable parting with would be, and if I could grab them within that price, I would....I am happy with the time and price of my return tickets....fingers crossed for good luck on our outbound leg!

I'd book if the price quoted is something you are comfortable with! OR been better, id take TED's advice and try to fly from a US airport....if I could do that, I'd even drive up to three hours each way to save that kind of money! Unfortunately, flying from Edmonton, I am kind of bound to WJ and AC....I refuse to fly United again if I can help it, and other airlines are not offering great schedules ( I want to get to WDW early and leave as late afternoon as we can).....so I am keeping my fingers crossed that WJ pulls through with a discount for next Fall!

I'm watching airline prices too. We are in WDW Sept. 29-Oct. 8. I'm not an experienced enough flyer to know how far in advance I would traditionally get the best prices. Anyone have any suggestions. I just check everyday anyway. I also have to book a one way ticket for my 14 yr old ds to go to Ontario. I want Westjet for that as he has only flown once and Westjet goes to Hamilton, which is a much smaller airport than Toronto.

I would prefer to stick with Westjet but am not adamant about that. I have a WJ Mastercard that I already have around $140 towards a flight on and I figure I might be around $200 by the time I book, so... well it would be cheaper. We will be leaving from HFX and we have no desire to drive somewhere in the states to fly out of, even though it might be cheaper. I don't think the extra drive time, gas is worth it.

OP, congratulations on your impending wedding. I hope it all goes perfectly for you.

Hi celidh :goodvibes we will be there the same time as you :) Sept 28-Oct 7 for us....but the 4,5,6 of Oct we head over to Universal for our last few days....we are staying at the BWI for our Disney days....CdN free dining pin. :goodvibes I like flying West jet too, have our return tickets bought through AC, but looking for a specific west jet flight out of Edmonton on the 29th of Sept. Fingers crossed those prices come down some for all of us :thumbsup2
Marie :flower3:

I'm watching airline prices too. We are in WDW Sept. 29-Oct. 8. I'm not an experienced enough flyer to know how far in advance I would traditionally get the best prices. Anyone have any suggestions. I just check everyday anyway. I also have to book a one way ticket for my 14 yr old ds to go to Ontario. I want Westjet for that as he has only flown once and Westjet goes to Hamilton, which is a much smaller airport than Toronto.

I would prefer to stick with Westjet but am not adamant about that. I have a WJ Mastercard that I already have around $140 towards a flight on and I figure I might be around $200 by the time I book, so... well it would be cheaper. We will be leaving from HFX and we have no desire to drive somewhere in the states to fly out of, even though it might be cheaper. I don't think the extra drive time, gas is worth it.

OP, congratulations on your impending wedding. I hope it all goes perfectly for you.

Hi celidh :goodvibes we will be there the same time as you :) Sept 28-Oct 7 for us....but the 4,5,6 of Oct we head over to Universal for our last few days....we are staying at the BWI for our Disney days....CdN free dining pin. :goodvibes I like flying West jet too, have our return tickets bought through AC, but looking for a specific west jet flight out of Edmonton on the 29th of Sept. Fingers crossed those prices come down some for all of us :thumbsup2
Marie :flower3:

We have fd too. We were hoping to go a bit later, either late October or preferably into November to see the Christmas decorations but this time works best both because of the fd and that is when my ex usually has time off from work so he can keep the kids (they live with me most of the time) while I'm gone. So we are checking in on the last possible day to get the fd promo.

Hope you have a great trip. Too bad it is so far away! ;)

HI :goodvibes I faced the exact same dilemma, except we are flying from Edmnton, AB and there are 3 of us. I have had my eye on flights all yr. Long, and have not seen any movement with regards to seat sales. I have been seeing prices of $369 each way. Plus, add taxes on top of that.....so what I ended up doing was I took the AC pin code and booked our return leg so far....$950 for the three of us.....I looked at it as $300 for each of us.....not bad considering I had been seeing rates as high as $1350 per leg!, :scared1:

I am now keeping my eyes peeled for the West Jet tickets I want for our departure schedule....I am hoping that WJ may have a sale and I can get those tickets I want for around another $900 .....if so, I will feel relieved to have gotten 3 tickets for approx $1,800 in today's crazy economy. I thought about what the highest price I'd feel comfortable parting with would be, and if I could grab them within that price, I would....I am happy with the time and price of my return tickets....fingers crossed for good luck on our outbound leg!

I'd book if the price quoted is something you are comfortable with! OR been better, id take TED's advice and try to fly from a US airport....if I could do that, I'd even drive up to three hours each way to save that kind of money! Unfortunately, flying from Edmonton, I am kind of bound to WJ and AC....I refuse to fly United again if I can help it, and other airlines are not offering great schedules ( I want to get to WDW early and leave as late afternoon as we can).....so I am keeping my fingers crossed that WJ pulls through with a discount for next Fall!

I am with you on hoping there are better deals for those dates! We are looking at doing DL sept 29 to oct 6th. Out of Edmonton.

GL in finding deals they do come up, and we are finding usually about 3 mths before they get better!

As convient as it is to fly from Moncton or for myself, Saint John. I always book our flights from Portland, ME. The drive can seem long but we usually head out the day before and take our time. Arriving in Portland around supper time which gives us time to eat and shop (over 7 days in the US and you're allowed 700.00/pp tax free - and it stays in our car so we don't have luggage issues) I've gotten flights for as low as 350 return for both of us. While we still end up paying for park and fly's it still seems like our vacation is longer and we have something else to do :)

we always go in September. Westjet does not fly from Hamilton to Orlando until late October when high season starts as far as I know. We always fly out of BUF because of that as I refuse to fly from Pearson. Last year I booked flights from BUF when the sale came out in the beginning of March. The year before it was the end of February. Right now SW is booking until Aug 10 so I'm assuming it will be fairly soon before they list flights for September. I find booking as soon as flights are listed is the way to go. If anything they go up I've found (at least out of US destinations).

We flew out of Halifax on Continental airlines 17-27 Dec rountrip five people, all taxes in for $2100. I find about 60 days before departure is the best time to book. It's what we do everytime we fly and get the best prices. That was booked 58 days before departure. Cost to park car at airport long term parking was $98. We are happy with the costs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter