Book it. Buy it. BELIEVE it! - TR is started! link posted 8/11

Honestly, sometimes I think following your trip planning is like reading a comprehension exam. :rotfl:

...."first we did this and then the other thing happened and then we changed to that, but would we stay the same oo go back to plan A? Or would plan B have to be modified to make room for this addition? "

:rotfl2: It's so funny because its probably my ADD but I always have to read your trip evolutions a couple times until I get them. You are an uber planner extraordinare. Love it!

I am so going on the 4 night Dream cruise in October of 2013. I have totally decided its a go. Nick has no interest in a summer graduation cruise (and for the life of me I can't understand why), so it will just be me and Denny!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your plans!

I'm tired just reading your different options. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

It's hard enough planning for me and DH, let alone six people. :scared1: But I do remember those days of trying to go around camps, tournaments, etc. We finally gave up and started going by ourselves.

I can tell you from experience that an inside stateroom is claustrophobic. A number of years ago Judy earned a Royal Caribbean cruise from PChef, which was for 2, but we bought-in the kids. Judy and the girls stayed in the room she earned with the trip, and it was an outside room so they had a window. But James and I stayed in a cheaper ('cause we paid for it ;)), inside stateroom, and as soon as we got dressed in the morning we went to their room so that we could at least look out the window and see what was going on. I decided that if we ever cruised again we'd need to spring for a window.

Trip planning like that is like a house of cards. You get that house 3 stories up and someone comes along and pulls a card out from underneath. :eek:

I think you did great with the first story of your house, the foundation. Good and strong.

I can't wait to hear how the rest of the planning goes. :surfweb:

Honestly, sometimes I think following your trip planning is like reading a comprehension exam. :rotfl:

Where is the tag fairy when you need her? :rotfl2: I think that was exactly Magdalene's point!

...."first we did this and then the other thing happened and then we changed to that, but would we stay the same oo go back to plan A? Or would plan B have to be modified to make room for this addition? "

Hey, Geometry...and Logic were a couple of my favorite subjects. :rotfl: it's all about the possibilities...and if I think hard enough and long enough I can figure out a possibility that works for everyone.

That and I over think everything to death. News flash I know.

:rotfl2: It's so funny because its probably my ADD but I always have to read your trip evolutions a couple times until I get them. You are an uber planner extraordinare. Love it!

Jeff does too (have to hear it a few times). Actually I think he ignores most of the detail and just wants to cut to the chase. Even when he does want the detail...he forgets it right after I tell him.

I am so going on the 4 night Dream cruise in October of 2013. I have totally decided its a go. Nick has no interest in a summer graduation cruise (and for the life of me I can't understand why), so it will just be me and Denny!

Can't wait to read about the rest of your plans!

Will you tie it into food and wine? That would be a wonderful couples trip!

I'm tired just reading your different options. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah, me too! My head starts spinning at times!

It's hard enough planning for me and DH, let alone six people. :scared1: But I do remember those days of trying to go around camps, tournaments, etc. We finally gave up and started going by ourselves.
Us too, that's how we ended up on a cruise for 4 last year. Most likely it's the last year of hair pulling with our kids but the next big trip is multiple families so it will be like this...on steroids. :rotfl:

I can tell you from experience that an inside stateroom is claustrophobic. A number of years ago Judy earned a Royal Caribbean cruise from PChef, which was for 2, but we bought-in the kids. Judy and the girls stayed in the room she earned with the trip, and it was an outside room so they had a window. But James and I stayed in a cheaper ('cause we paid for it ;)), inside stateroom, and as soon as we got dressed in the morning we went to their room so that we could at least look out the window and see what was going on. I decided that if we ever cruised again we'd need to spring for a window.

I stayed in an inside state room many moons ago (pre-Evan) with my Ex and it was, literally, just a place to sleep. Zero interest in ever doing that again. We felt oceanview would just be a tease! We tend to live on our lanai, balcony or verandah wherever we go so it was a must have. Those virtual portholes are very cool though, the thing I like about them versus the ocean view is they don't get dirty!! :rotfl:

We've stayed in an inside once for a 3 day WITH the girls and it was a good thing we weren't in the room much. Too crowded! I like to have a view at least.

On the Alaskan cruise - we are going back and forth about a balcony. I read someone said that they were warmer on their balcony than up on deck (windy), so I'm trying to use that argument to spend a couple more $$$. But, if it comes down to going with an ocean view or not going, I'm taking that porthole!!

Cynthia when you went, did you wish you had warmer clothes, like a heavier winter coat? Or did you think that layers and a lighter jacket/fleece were good? Not that I need to worry about this yet, but... Was the weather when you went typical for that time of year? I know you just mentioned something about the weather that summer...Honestly, my brain is not working on all cylinders this week, or I'd just go back and look!

Will you tie it into food and wine? That would be a wonderful couples trip!

Totally tied in to Food & Wine. I am looking at the October 20th cruise and then over to F&W. Talked to the Denster about it tonight and he is totally agreeable to the cruise in cash and then a week at Disney!! :cool1:

So - a little letter came to Denny and I today about the Raecker family and he said, "Who Is the Raecker family?" I thought I was going to die laughing and fall off my stool because we had just conquered the "who is Cynthia?" question.:rotfl: I'm sorry. I had to post it here because I am still laughing.

Trip planning like that is like a house of cards. You get that house 3 stories up and someone comes along and pulls a card out from underneath. :eek:

I think you did great with the first story of your house, the foundation. Good and strong.

Well we had some temporary bracing there for a while but I think the slab is ok now. I'm hoping we are past the card pulling stage but there is a long way to go so you never know!

I can't wait to hear how the rest of the planning goes. :surfweb:

:goodvibes

Totally tied in to Food & Wine. I am looking at the October 20th cruise and then over to F&W. Talked to the Denster about it tonight and he is totally agreeable to the cruise in cash and then a week at Disney!! :cool1:

That sounds like SOOOO much fun!

So - a little letter came to Denny and I today about the Raecker family and he said, "Who Is the Raecker family?" I thought I was going to die laughing and fall off my stool because we had just conquered the "who is Cynthia?" question.:rotfl: I'm sorry. I had to post it here because I am still laughing.

:rotfl2:

That's cool the letter showed up, I got a special email myself today!

Cynthia said:
I knew that rebooking on board would be a very very smart thing to do, even if I had no idea when we’d actually cruise again. Or IF we’d actually cruise again for that matter. I had looked up some possible future options prior to embarking so I’d know what to at least try to book. I’d also priced it and checked availability so I had a pretty good idea of what I’d be looking at for a deposit. I explained the concept of a “dummy” booking to Jeff.
OK... can you explain a dummy booking to me? I think I know but what am I missing?

Book a future cruise on the ship to get a discounted rate... When you do this how much of a discount do you receive? Do you just book as far in advance as you can for the most flexibility? Do you have to know who is traveling with you in advance? Can you change ships & itineraries with no penalty?

Sorry for the questions... I'm learning! :lmao:

I love Key West! I haven't been there but I want to head there someday. Sorry your cruise isn't bringing you there... or is it? :scratchin

Thanks for the PM, Cynthia! I am finally here -- we won't even mention the page number. :laughing:

A summer cruise with a stop in Key West will be super fun!!! I am so excited to be along with you on all the planning excitement.

I can't believe your kids are getting so old! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Connor is in the sixth grade and Chelsea is in the ninth grade now. Can you believe she will be getting her learner's permit this summer! :eek: Where is the time going???

I'm sure if I had to plan around that many things, I'd throw my hands up and walk away. Nah...probably not, but I bet it would involve a lot more temper tantrums. I know what you mean about planning and looking at all of the options, though. I make crazy spreadsheets and lists and then could care less if I leave them at home. Its the planning that entertains me and I get to move forward with a least a passing notion of what we'll do.

Loved the line from Jeff about his definition of perfect. Sounds like Mark. He just says yes and then when I try and talk details he just says, "Yes, but you'll change it a million times anyway." :lmao: So true.

Your pictures from Key West look like the place is just fantastic and it certainly sounds like you had a great trip. My mom went many years ago and still talks about wanting to go back. We are going to Florida together again, just not Key West. ;)

I love hearing all the cruise lingo...like Tim, I'm just trying to figure it all out.

...and why do I think you still have something suprising coming up? :goodvibes

Seriously!!!! Exactly what I was thinking when I finished reading. I hope we won't be penalized for not remembering if you even booked or not. :rotfl2:

I never thought too much about it but yeah it must really be a pain/challenging finding rooms etc for a larger family. :headache:

Tracy

Seriously!!!! Exactly what I was thinking when I finished reading. I hope we won't be penalized for not remembering if you even booked or not. :rotfl2:

Tracy

And never try to read Cynthia's planning escapades first thing in the morning without a cup of coffee or late at night after a couple adult beverages. :faint:

Okay, I am going to just cut to the chase because your photo ticker suggests that you are going to be spending some time on the beach, and I THINK I know which beach, but then again I guess you might not have fixed your ticker banner if you changed your trip, and then, well, maybe you are going to go on the Fantasy after all, not sure, and so all of this musing on my part would be a total waste of time. But, it was fun. :rotfl:

ANYHOW, nice intro, just waiting for the itinerary!!!! LOL! We looked at the 2013 cruises too! The Med cruise itineraries are not really exciting us, because we have been to those locations, well, most of them, and I just can't go to Rome for a day. Or Venice. But there is another excellent cruise line that has a FABULOUS itinerary with Turkey, and that is where we want to go. So no Disney in the Med, but we are SERIOUSLY looking at a 5 night that goes out of Miami... in Feb 2013 vs. what we usually do, or a 7 night on the Fantasy... kids coming. Maybe. They have winter cruises going to Key West.. so that is worth looking at too! :thumbsup2

popcorn::

We've stayed in an inside once for a 3 day WITH the girls and it was a good thing we weren't in the room much. Too crowded! I like to have a view at least.

On the Alaskan cruise - we are going back and forth about a balcony. I read someone said that they were warmer on their balcony than up on deck (windy), so I'm trying to use that argument to spend a couple more $$$. But, if it comes down to going with an ocean view or not going, I'm taking that porthole!!

Cynthia when you went, did you wish you had warmer clothes, like a heavier winter coat? Or did you think that layers and a lighter jacket/fleece were good? Not that I need to worry about this yet, but... Was the weather when you went typical for that time of year? I know you just mentioned something about the weather that summer...Honestly, my brain is not working on all cylinders this week, or I'd just go back and look!

The verandah is much more protected from the wind so yes, at times it was definitely a bit warmer. There were people who brought parkas. For me, upper 40's and low 50's if you had the layers really didn't need a parka. Tracy Arm was the coldest day as you are sailing close to the glacier. In August, there is less floating ice in the water than say in May..so May would be a bit colder especially there. On TA day I had a long sleeve shirt, a base layer type long sleeve running shirt over that, a light hoodie and then a fleece lined shell. So that is a few layers. For me much more multipurpose than the one parka which would have taken up more space since I'd use all those layers throughout the week in different ways. I did however, have some lined tech pants on that were the bomb and made a huge difference in how warm I was, they are kind of a winter hiking pant. The only thing I'd have done differently was to bring a good glove. I had some knit ones with me, one fell behind my suitcase and so I didn't bother digging for it and didn't wear any. They wouldn't have helped much and I'd have taken them off for the picture taking but a fitted tech/running or ski glove liner would have been really nice.

In general it was 40-upper 50's all week, mostly mid 50's during the day and low at night. If you were from a very warm climate that might be tough but for us it really wasn't a big deal, about how it is outside right now here actually! Which is a lovely February day in our opinion.

OK... can you explain a dummy booking to me? I think I know but what am I missing?

Book a future cruise on the ship to get a discounted rate... When you do this how much of a discount do you receive? Do you just book as far in advance as you can for the most flexibility? Do you have to know who is traveling with you in advance? Can you change ships & itineraries with no penalty?

Sorry for the questions... I'm learning! :lmao:

You do this any time while you are on the ship. There is a rebooking desk where you can do it, or you can fill out a card with the quote you'd like, drop it in the box near the rebooking desk and it will show up back at your stateroom with info. You can then call the number on the card and book the quote that way, it will have a quote "number" tied to it. the desk isn't always open and there can be quite a line. I went the card/call route but on a 2 day I'd want to do it early as I can picture it being a bit nutty!

You get 10% off and then the deposit is only 10% down. You can change ships and passengers with no penalty, and even do it online so you can compare the changes. The only caveat is that if you book it, when you make the change, you still have to be on the booking. So you couldn't book it for say the 4 of you, and then change it to 4 totally different people. If you do know what you think you want, it's best to book that as prices go up. But if you don't, booking something really far out for just 1-2 people is what a lot of folks do if they know they won't be using it other than as a placeholder.

I love Key West! I haven't been there but I want to head there someday. Sorry your cruise isn't bringing you there... or is it? :scratchin

:laughing:

It is a ton of fun, we've been dying to go back since we left.

Thanks for the PM, Cynthia! I am finally here -- we won't even mention the page number. :laughing:

:welcome: Jackie's here!

A summer cruise with a stop in Key West will be super fun!!! I am so excited to be along with you on all the planning excitement.

Sadly, Key West is only on the spring routes so it looks like that may be out for this trip, at least from the ship.

I can't believe your kids are getting so old! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Connor is in the sixth grade and Chelsea is in the ninth grade now. Can you believe she will be getting her learner's permit this summer! :eek: Where is the time going???

I know, it's crazy! Kendall too. Technically I think she could get it now although she is in NO rush to drive which makes us happy, one less stress to deal with. It is weird having a college student!

I'm sure if I had to plan around that many things, I'd throw my hands up and walk away. Nah...probably not, but I bet it would involve a lot more temper tantrums. I know what you mean about planning and looking at all of the options, though. I make crazy spreadsheets and lists and then could care less if I leave them at home. Its the planning that entertains me and I get to move forward with a least a passing notion of what we'll do.

Exactly! I have a spreadsheets coming out my you know what. Typically budget related but I've done touring plans on them, packing lists you name it. Heck I have a grocery list one.

Loved the line from Jeff about his definition of perfect. Sounds like Mark. He just says yes and then when I try and talk details he just says, "Yes, but you'll change it a million times anyway." :lmao: So true.

The funny thing is I don't actually change that much once I actually book things, but when I do, they tend to be rather huge changes. It's pretty cute though, Jeff just planned a 4 day get away for us and the boys and did the entire thing himself (for President's weekend...in 2 weeks!:thumbsup2). You can tell he's not used to booking things but bless his heart, he did it all. Of course we are at 3 different hotels in 3 nights so I think I'm not the only touring plan monster in the house!

Your pictures from Key West look like the place is just fantastic and it certainly sounds like you had a great trip. My mom went many years ago and still talks about wanting to go back. We are going to Florida together again, just not Key West. ;)

I love hearing all the cruise lingo...like Tim, I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Key West definitely has it's own vibe.

...and why do I think you still have something suprising coming up? :goodvibes

I can't imagine why you'd think that! :rotfl:

So many choices!
I can't wait to see what you finally decided on.

Too many choices, that's always the problem isn't it! I'm very very excited with how it's playing out.

So many choices!
I can't wait to see what you finally decided on.

Well we will see how "final" anything really is but we are pretty excited with what it's starting to look like!

There will be a quiz, with bonus points in the form of slushie credits.

:rotfl:

I never thought too much about it but yeah it must really be a pain/challenging finding rooms etc for a larger family. :headache:

Tracy

It is really sad that it is SO much easier to travel as 4, than as 5 or 6.

And never try to read Cynthia's planning escapades first thing in the morning without a cup of coffee or late at night after a couple adult beverages. :faint:

:surfweb:

Hey! I might make more sense with the 2nd version.

You should have seen Jeff last night trying to book our spur of the moment President's weekend getaway last night...all on his own. I think I've warped him, he's in touring plan mode! We are at 3 different hotels for a 4 day trip! :love:

Okay, I am going to just cut to the chase because your photo ticker suggests that you are going to be spending some time on the beach, and I THINK I know which beach, but then again I guess you might not have fixed your ticker banner if you changed your trip, and then, well, maybe you are going to go on the Fantasy after all, not sure, and so all of this musing on my part would be a total waste of time. But, it was fun. :rotfl:

Yes, potentially to all of the above.

:lmao:

I do need to make a change to the ticker. What that change is...remains to be seen!

ANYHOW, nice intro, just waiting for the itinerary!!!! LOL! We looked at the 2013 cruises too! The Med cruise itineraries are not really exciting us, because we have been to those locations, well, most of them, and I just can't go to Rome for a day. Or Venice. But there is another excellent cruise line that has a FABULOUS itinerary with Turkey, and that is where we want to go. So no Disney in the Med, but we are SERIOUSLY looking at a 5 night that goes out of Miami... in Feb 2013 vs. what we usually do, or a 7 night on the Fantasy... kids coming. Maybe. They have winter cruises going to Key West.. so that is worth looking at too! :thumbsup2

popcorn::

I hear you on the only 1 day issue. I've been to a lot of those locations as well, as have Jeff for the Italy ones but the rest would be new to everyone. It's going to be a 2014 or 15 option anyway, 12 and 13 are taken! I did see the winter ones out of Key West and will definitely be looking to see what they announce for Magic/Wonder post August 2013 as that isn't out yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter