Book for 2016 or wait for 2017?

adr2.8i

Back from the magic....and now hooked!
Hi everyone. In a bit of a titwas at the moment and im sure theres a few people who are also in the same predicament as i am.

The wife and kids all want to go back to DLP next year, so i do i obviously, but im worried about the extent of refurbs that are planned over the next few years. I have had a reasonable price for Whitsun 2016 and the wife wants to book it now, but id hate to book it and then get there and half the park is closed or hidden behind those great big fences.

We visited for the 20th celebrations and the park looked amazing and i think only Phantom manor was closed for those 5 days we were there. Everything was up and running and we had a fantastic time.

the sensible side of me says to keep an eye out on the refurbs and closures that disney will announce over the next year or so and then wait till 2017 to visit, but thats 2 years away!! I dont think the kids can wait that long!!

Are there any members here who visited the parks the year or so before the 20th anniversary? Was a lot of the parks closed for refurbs or hidden away behind the fences? did that spoil things for you??
For me that would spoil quite a lot of the magic as im an old fashioned man who loves to wonder the parks admiring the decor and the beauty of the place .....

thanks in advance

Think a lot of regulars will avoid next year, its my 50th next March and we've always planned for a family trip staying at the DLH, its not going to happen, too many closures for my liking esp.BTM and I read that some people think they'll do PM too and close off most of Frontierland. So I have to stay at 49 for another year. Not saying we won't go but it'll be off site with APs.
Theres a tentative list here:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/disney-and-more-final-article-all-about.html

I'd be going before end of October this year or after October next year unless you are doing the off site route for cheap.

What with attractions being closed and hotels being renovated it's going to be fun early 2016.

I'm in the same boat, was hoping for a DLH visit to celebrate my 40th next year but really don't know now as we love BTM too much! Although I think for us this summer would be worse with IASW closed from late July. Will be interesting to see how the closure of such a high-capacity ride will affect other queues.

We're thinking the same. We just miss btm when we go this year in nov and I'd only just plucked up the courage to go on it last year. So we're going to give 2016 a miss and save for DLH in 2017.

When in 2017 will the celebrations start?

We're hoping to go to WDW in the April so I'm hoping it'll be like all other DLRP "birthdays" and extend into 2018 so we don't miss it.

I'm not planning on going back until 2017 now - was half-hoping for a trip last autumn which wasn't possible in the end and this year's a definite no no so rather than go next year we're definitely going to wait until 2017 and enjoy the 25th in all its glory. Let's hope it is an extended celebration too so that lots of people get to enjoy it into 2018 as well.

Thanks for the replies.

It's going to be so hard to wait until 2017 for our next disney experience but I think that's the most sensible decision.

Well we were going to wait for the 25th Anniversary, but that didn't happen! We're visiting family in Southern France this whitsun week, so are slipping in a quick one day visit on the way down.

But, because our local school Easter holidays in 2016 seem to be different to everyone elses, we've booked a really cheap week in HNY with the 2 days/nights free offer, with our friend coming too, next March! I'm aware some things will be closed, but it's not as if it's our first visit. Plus we'll have a 7 month old with us too, so a leisurely holiday will be great, and our daughter will be 6, will thoroughly enjoy herself anyway, and is still free!

When we go for the 25th, we're hoping the celebrations will run at LEAST from April 2017 - April 2018 and are planning a 'big' visitsometime around the Christmas season. Children will be 7 or 8 (depending on the date we go - birthday in December!) and just under 2 1/2 ish. So that will be the important trip, and a good year and a half since the last time we went (time to save!).

We just couldn't resist March 2016 - taking DD out of school 'legally' yet still keeping the cheaper costs..... it was a non brainer really!

C x

After or next trip we're waiting until 2017 :( :( Its dh and I "big birthdays" next year too and the plan was to stay at the DLH but with all the renovations we're putting it off a year.

Unless we get another "deal of the century" huh adr????!!!!!

After or next trip we're waiting until 2017 :( :( Its dh and I "big birthdays" next year too and the plan was to stay at the DLH but with all the renovations we're putting it off a year.

Unless we get another "deal of the century" huh adr????!!!!!

Another Deal of the Century would be fantastic for sure!!! What a deal that was!!!

We are going to give it a miss this year and next year and hopefully we can save up some extra funds so we can stay in one of the better disney hotels next time, maybe the SL or NY for the 25th anniversary celebrations! :-)

Also hitting a big birthday next year!
We are booked for January - form an orderly queue to offer sympathy please!!!
I had also booked for my birthday in May but managed to change around my bookings and make January longer as I couldn't face into two trips to see DLP's green fences. I am gutted!
If I didn't stand to loose such a chunk of money I wouldn't visit at all next year!
But it is what you make of it and the kids are already excited to be adventurous and find a new favourite while BTM is down for its big overhaul.

This is an interesting and important question:

I am planning our next trip to bring Hannah back to DLP after our chaos trip some weeks ago.

My plan was to go back next March because its our school holiday in Germany and the prices at DLP are very good for us.

But if you look at this

CCfRxPZWYAATd5w.jpg:large

you will find that a lot of our favourite rides ares closed !

BTM, Peter Pan and Star Tours

So my thoughts are now: Going in October and miss 2016 complete.

This leads to the important question:

Do you plan your visit after you have checked which rides are open or do you think that is not important ?

I think that we all love to ride BTM and Peter Pan but this are only 2 rides among a lot of others.

Will you skip 2017 because of BTM is closed ??

Would be great to hear your oppinion but I do not want to make another thread (so I jumped on this one).

Thorsten

...you will find that a lot of our favourite rides ares closed !

BTM, Peter Pan and Star Tours

So my thoughts are now: Going in October and miss 2016 complete.

This leads to the important question:

Do you plan your visit after you have checked which rides are open or do you think that is not important ?

I think that we all love to ride BTM and Peter Pan but this are only 2 rides among a lot of others.

Will you skip 2017 because of BTM is closed ??

Would be great to hear your oppinion but I do not want to make another thread (so I jumped on this one).

Thorsten

In our situation, March 2016 was too good to miss coz we could experience a higher level hotel for a brilliant price, not worry about taking DD out of school (weird Easter holiday dates!), and our friend is coming with us.

Like you, those three rides are closed and are important in different ways - but this is my reasoning. We've been to DLP quite often, and although we like Peter Pan, it's not ever been one of our top rides. Star Tours is a shame because it's DD's current favourite, so we're making the most of our one day visit this May to go on that. Likewise, BTM is one of my favourites, but I HAVE been on it plenty, and although DD is getting braver she HAS been on it and was more concerned by the noise than the ride itself, so although that one is a shame as I reckon she'd be up for trying it again, it's not the be all and end all. There's plenty of other rides she especially loves that will still be open. Plus, we're definitely planning on returning around Christmas time in the 25th Anniversary (late 2017) for a 'special' trip as it'll be new baby's first PROPER trip that he should be able to remember it (being around 2 1/2).

It's weighing up why you're going I suppose! For us it's definitely the great easter holiday opportunity, higher hotel, and our friend joining us.

I'm rambling a little, sorry, but hopefully that makes sense!

C x

The minute my boyfriend agreed to going to Disneyland I booked (Feb. 2016). Obviously I'm pretty upset that Big Thunder Mountain and Peter Pan are closed, as those were two of my favourites when I last went and I think it's a shame my bf won't get to go on them. It's also a bit of a shame that the railroad is closed but overall I still think our trip will be good as many other rides I enjoy will be open - the price makes it all worth it!

Thanks for posting that chart above, really good to see it as a snapshot. I definitely think we're out until 2017 - my favourite is Peter Pan and I cannot wait to see this redone, hopefully it will be a much smoother ride too. And my DS loves BTM, DD loves IASM and DH loves SM. So its March 2017 at the earliest, DS will be in year 6 so definitely will need to keep to school holidays too :(

Anyone know when 2017 will be released lol!

Disney will never close so many rides for refurbishment that your trip should be any less enjoyable. I just came from Disneyland where a whole host of headliner attractions were closed for the 60th anniversary and had no problems at all (and it was my first trip to Disneyland in 18 years). If any one or a few attractions being closed will "ruin" your trip, you're doing something wrong.

Disney will never close so many rides for refurbishment that your trip should be any less enjoyable. I just came from Disneyland where a whole host of headliner attractions were closed for the 60th anniversary and had no problems at all (and it was my first trip to Disneyland in 18 years). If any one or a few attractions being closed will "ruin" your trip, you're doing something wrong.

I second this! I'm 100% sure that we'll definitely be having so much fun elsewhere that we won't even notice that certain rides will be closed.

A little off topic but does anyone know if the car stunt show is still going on? I think the Lion King and Tarzan shows have ended now, haven't they? I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that Disney Dreams will still be on in feb 2016.

I will wait till 2017. Unless a very very good deal comes up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter