Book directly or through travel agent?

cmbx2mom

Earning My Ears
Just got a quote form a travel agent- same $$ as if I book myself online. Checked with AAA, they are a little cheaper but don't have the suite option we prefered, plus it sounded like the person I talked to didn't have much knowledge. I don't currently belong to AAA but was considering joining if it would save us a lot.

Anyone have any advice with/without travel agent?

You can book a AAA room rate directly through disney over the phone. We use AAA once but then just started booking our own as even I had to call when a better discount came out.

I am a travel agent, and I try to explain it like this...
If you book through Disney, you just book. If you book through a travel agent, you get the same price, and help planning/making dining reservations, etc. If the travel agent you spoke to doesn't have much knowledge... maybe try finding another one!
The reason it's the same price is because basically Disney pays the travel agent some commission to help plan. So instead of Disney making the additional commission, the travel agent does! Hope that helps!!
Good luck!

There isn't much benefit booking with AAA. I do my homework on Disney's website and either book online or call them. The CM's are very helpful and I think, make it a nice way to get your Disney trip under way!! I had to call to make this last reservation because the site was having a little problem. Booking with a travel agent might cost you more as they may charge you a fee to book through them. Enjoy the planning-it's an exciting part of the trip!! :)

What cbrown said. Lol. Seriously, though, there are tons of travel agents out there that specialize in Disney destinations. If you didn't feel comfortable with the knowledge level of the one you spoke with, I would definitely recommend consulting with another before making your final decision. Good luck! :)

ETA: I would NEVER pay a TA to help plan a Disney vacation. They are paid by Disney and there are absolutely wonderful ones out there who will work hard for you without charging you a dime extra.

Just got a quote form a travel agent- same $$ as if I book myself online. Checked with AAA, they are a little cheaper but don't have the suite option we prefered, plus it sounded like the person I talked to didn't have much knowledge. I don't currently belong to AAA but was considering joining if it would save us a lot.

Anyone have any advice with/without travel agent?

Everyone is different, but I prefer to book direct through Disney. I like being able to call anytime should I want to make a change, add a request, etc. instead of having to get ahold of someone else to do it. Using a TA is nice if you want someone else to do all of the leg work. It just depends on how much time you have and how much you want to do yourself.

Only book with a travel agent if they can give you a deal or perk you could not find yourself. Book yourself and you have full control.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yes.. I agree with cbrown.

I can totally book on my own. I have over 100 trips and totally could book on my own with my FL Res Discount. I choose to use my TA friend because A) she gets a commission that doesn't cost me B) she can take the burden of watching for cheaper rates, holding with Disney to make a payment or dining reservations and C) she knows before I do if discounts are coming out.

ETA - the other morning, I woke up and saw that discounts came out on my February trip..I sent her a text message to book me and she replied to check my email...she had already done it at 6am...Amazing! I love Lisa Reese and she is a Disney Cruise Bride like me!

I choose to use my TA friend because A) she gets a commission that doesn't cost me B) she can take the burden of watching for cheaper rates, holding with Disney to make a payment or dining reservations and C) she knows before I do if discounts are coming out.

I use my TA for the exact same reasons. And like you, she applied the latest RO discount to our reservation at 6:00 a.m. the day they became available! I don't get how some people give the excuse they won't use a TA because they like to "plan" their own trips ... my TA has never done that; I plan everything myself. Then let her take over for the reasons stated above. :thumbsup2

I use my TA for the exact same reasons. And like you, she applied the latest RO discount to our reservation at 6:00 a.m. the day they became available! I don't get how some people give the excuse they won't use a TA because they like to "plan" their own trips ... my TA has never done that; I plan everything myself. Then let her take over for the reasons stated above. :thumbsup2

yep.. I tell her where, when and what I want...she just does the heavy lifting..and by that I mean, waking up at 6am and holding with Disney for 2 hours (sometimes, that is the wait)

Just got a quote form a travel agent- same $$ as if I book myself online. Checked with AAA, they are a little cheaper but don't have the suite option we prefered, plus it sounded like the person I talked to didn't have much knowledge. I don't currently belong to AAA but was considering joining if it would save us a lot. Anyone have any advice with/without travel agent?

If you are a planner, like to have control, and are familiar with the DISboards I absolutely recommend booking it yourself. If you are not a big planner and don't know much about disney then I would suggest a TA.
I like to be in control and any question that I have or info that I need, I can always find on here. We booked with a TA for our November trip and I swear I will NEVER use one again. I have hated have to wait around for her to do stuff that I could have done sooner. Hope this helps!

I have been over 16 times and only paid rack rate the first time. I have always been able to get a code or pin or AP rates for rooms and packages as well. I prefer to make my own dinning reservations myself. The boards and mousesaver.com have provided my with a wealth of information.
If depends on your preference. I prefer to handle things myself.

I'm too much of a control freak to have someone else book for me. I also book for my coworkers and friends, so I'm like my very own travel agent :goodvibes

I am a travel agent, and I try to explain it like this...
If you book through Disney, you just book. If you book through a travel agent, you get the same price, and help planning/making dining reservations, etc. If the travel agent you spoke to doesn't have much knowledge... maybe try finding another one!
The reason it's the same price is because basically Disney pays the travel agent some commission to help plan. So instead of Disney making the additional commission, the travel agent does! Hope that helps!!
Good luck!

I've been wondering how this works. I didn't quite understand how you didn't have to pay the travel agent anything. Thanks for the explanation! :)

I have done both but at this point in time I prefer to do it myself as what I am after is not a "package".

I am a larger group so I need to stay offsite(costs), wifes work has a national program of tickets which are "special".

And most importantly I know what I want and don't have time to play phone tag with an agent. Best example would be airline tickets. By changing by times/dates ie going red eye I can save money or increase by a few dollars but increase park time. Tentatively looking now and for about $20 a person I can fly out 12 hours later. This means another day in the parks.

Its the little things like this that I know and can discuss with wife and book "instantly".

I have done it both ways. Our 1st trip, I felt the agent did a good job. I didn't feel confidant in my Disney knowledge. She also helped pick our dining plans.

While planning my second trip, I finally decided that I could do a better job myself. I found bits of information on the DIS that she was not familiar with. I also caught her making a few mistakes. She seemed to have to have a blanket set of recommendations that applied to some, but not to all. Plus, she had multiple clients. I would need to put an awful lot of trust in her to wake up at the crack of dawn to get 1st dibs on highly coveted dining reservations. Too risky for me.

If you like to plan and research, and read DIS boards....than I would recommend doing it yourself. If you are more hands off, a travel agent can be helpful.

I've used a travel agent twice to book WDW travel (same agent with a company that specializes in Disney). First time was a free dining package and after 10 minutes on the phone with her, she remarked that she wondered why I was using a travel agent as I seemed to know exactly what I wanted and I told her that I had never booked a package so wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Good (but not great) service. Everything delivered on time and clear communication, but she wasn't willing to call in my ADRs as the the CRT ADR would be early on a Sunday morning (outside of her working hours).

The second time was with elderly relatives, so we used her again. Unfortunately, in the information I sent her, I was one day off with the date and day of the week (sending her a departure date that couldn't exist because that date didn't fall on that day of the week....I was looking at previous year calendar when talking with her on the phone). She didn't catch that discrepency and I didn't look closely at the materials I received. So we arrive at PC to discover our reservation was booked for one day shorter than our plane tickets (which we booked ourselves). Luckily, the CM at reception was fantastic, getting us that extra night in our handicapped room during WDW marathon weekend.

You'd think a TA would notice a discrepency between day and date and would confirm the date before booking the package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter