• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book club January: The Wednesday Letters ( post #1 for BC info)

Well, I made the easy choice based on availability. From Baghdad with Love it is. I checked the availabilty of both in our library system, and Merle's Door is still too new. There were a bunch of holds on it, so we'll go with the other one. I think I'll have to discuss Merle's Door with a therapist, not a book club. :lmao:

Happy Reading!!!

Thanks Coopsmum,

Now you have me really intrigued about Merle's Door. :lmao:

I'll change all the info on page one and I'll make it for three weeks Monday. Does anyone prefer four weeks? I'll change it if the majority prefers four.

Lisa

Also,

Atonement is opening up the Venice Film Festival this week. I had no idea a movie was being made. It stars Keira Knightley. Briony I guess.

I also hear that they are filming Lovely Bones right now. It's difficult to picture a book one has read. Probably because I never got over the Clearys not having red or reddish hair in the adaption of The Thorn Birds. In the book it made Frank stand out. It's so funny what details one won't part with on screen.

Lisa

The trailer is being shown in the UK at the moment, Keira Knightley plays Cecilia and Briony is to be played several actresses to portray her age(kid, adult, elderly). I am not sure how well this book will transfer onto screen, I guess they will have to dramatise it a lot. It will be interesting to see if the movie will make the relationships more believable, as in the book I found it hard to believe that Robbie and Cecilia we really in love.

Keira Knightley plays Cecilia.

Interesting. Thanks wideeyes. That would make me think that there will be more of a focus on her than Briony, maybe. I saw Keira as the adult Briony in that she had the central storyline, besides Robbie of course, after the arrest. Should be something to see how they extend some storylines and cut others.

Do you have a reason why it was difficult to believe their love? Or just didn't. Curious.

Do you have a reason why it was difficult to believe their love? Or just didn't. Curious.

I don't feel as they was much insight into there feelings for each other, they did not seem like two people who were in love, I thought it seemed more like there relationship was lust rather than love, and that they shared an unfulfilled desire of each other in the letters that was sent due that the relationship was cut short when they had been the most passionate with each other.

Uh Oh. From Baghdad, With Love isn't even coming up in my library system. I put in title and author. And nada. My library system is huge. So strange because I do know it's a well received book.

Merle's Door is on order and not available either.

So I'll leave it for now. I will try to find it at a used bookstore if I'm the only one. I certainly don't want a change if it's no problem with everyone else.

So everyone else just let me know how it goes.....

I don't feel as they was much insight into there feelings for each other, they did not seem like two people who were in love, I thought it seemed more like there relationship was lust rather than love, and that they shared an unfulfilled desire of each other in the letters that was sent due that the relationship was cut short when they had been the most passionate with each other.

Thanks wideeyes. Interesting. I always say that when friends talk about "what could have been". A relationship cut off or in secret is a lot different than one that has to face real life and real life issues. I do agree that insight was missing. There was certainly an opportunity to go into more detail.

But I smiled with their sense of argumentative nature. I have experienced situations where love and annoyance in the beginning are intertwined.

Lisaviolet~I was able to request it from my library, and there were no holds on it.....are you sure you don't want "me" to check "your" library system for you....maybe you are doing something wrong! :lmao: Oh, and 3 weeks is good for me.

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that we are going to have the next person's selection due when we start discussions. For example, when we come back for discussion (I haven't checked the exact date yet, but it sounds like it will be in 3-weeks...I'll check page 1), that is when we would like to know our next selection. So....whoever is on the list (page1) after Coopsmum77, get ready to make your selection please...we would like it posted on or near day 1 of discussions for From Baghdad with Love...I hope I'm making sense to everyone. I'll PM the next person as a reminder! :thumbsup2

Lisaviolet~I was able to request it from my library, and there were no holds on it.....are you sure you don't want "me" to check "your" library system for you....maybe you are doing something wrong! :lmao: Oh, and 3 weeks is good for me.

Yes! I would love for you to check it Ms. smart one. Seriously, check. I've had a weird couple of days.

Irregardless, From Baghdad, With Love it is. I'll just have to hunt it down unless Vegasnative figures out that I've been a goofball somehow.

I've been away so here are some late thoughts on Atonement.

I'm another one who didn't finish the book. The start was very muddled and I wasn't sure who the main character was going to be but I found it very hard to become attached to any of them.

The author made fun of Briony picking words from a thesaurus but his own writing seemed to do the same - using 3 words when one would do. Maybe if he'd been more concise the plot would have moved along better.

Libby

PS Sorry this is so short and so late.

:scared1: Eek. I've been to the library today but they don't have a copy of this month's book. The assistant checked all libraries in the county but they don't seem to own a copy at all.

I may have to skip this month.

Libby

PS Sorry this is so short and so late.

First, we are a friend of "so late" here. We like it much better than "where the heck did everyone go?"

And as for short. Much better than my novels.

The author made fun of Briony picking words from a thesaurus but his own writing seemed to do the same - using 3 words when one would do. Maybe if he'd been more concise the plot would have moved along better.

I laughed and laughed when I read your thoughts. I spent the first part of Atonement yelling at the author and his onslaught of words. "Would you just shut up!" probably was the gentler version.

But then again for some reason the novel, writing style somewhat, really changed after the first third. And once one, in my opinion anyway, got through the first part it became a different novel.

It surprises me that an editor didn't see the frustration of that part of the novel. I know there are many that love the novel. And love the author. He did win the Booker Prize. However, it's not a coincidnce that all of us were frustrated with the same things.

Hi everyone,

I had to open early because I'm on vacation as of tomorrow. So have a great discussion and I'll edit for the new selection as soon as I return.

Well, I have to bow out of this discussion. :sad1: I was unable to find the book. As I posted earlier it wasn't available from my library system. And nada at my used bookstore. I didn't want to buy new. So unfortunately for me......no book club reading......

Well, I'm babbling as usual.:lmao:

But I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Vegasnative is going to introduce a new book selection format. Hopefully, it will mean less work for both of us at book selection time. And most importantly, the book selected will be posted earlier than in the past.

Lisa

First things first, the new book that we will be reading for next month is Adele Lang's Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber. This suggestion is courtesy of our fellow DIS'er, Alesia! I will PM Lisaviolet with the info so she can edit page 1 when when she returns from vacation.

I hope others were able to read From Baghdad with Love. I really enjoyed it! I thought it showed us a slightly different side to "the War" than what we see on TV. I enjoyed looking through the pictures.

I was sad to hear that these terrorists strap bombs to animals...and that they strapped a bomb to the Autistic boy. How disgusting, cruel and in-humane can anyone be? It made me sad to hear that they dig mass graves, or really just very large holes, knowing that they will be filled within the week.

I can understand the Marines position on not feeding or befriending the stray animals...but I suppose when someone sees so much despair day in and day out they are bound to let their emotions/feelings step in front...even if it is for only a few seconds.

I'm glad that Lava has a new home! This was a very heart warming story and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! I had never heard of it, I didn't know they were featured on TV. I wonder if I can find this footage anywhere on You Tube or somewhere else on the web, does anyone know?

I thought it was a great book. I actually read it over the summer on the USMC Camp Pendleton base - my fiance is a Marine. It definately showed the other side of the war than the news displays, but in the same aspect, it just made me more nervous for when he deploys this summer....

If you liked this book, another one to check out is Band of Sisters - it shows the female side of the war, and was really interesting as well.

I like to read all kinds of history books, but this is my favorite type. Just a personal experience, not a big recount of battles and players, etc. I thought it was a very easy read, not too philosophical, but just enough.

I disagree with the military's stance on not letting these soldiers adopt a mascot. For some of these guys, Lava was their tie to sanity. I couldn't imagine being that one squad that arranged their dogs transport out of Iraq to safety, only to have some jerk pull the dog off of them and shoot it. Unbelievable. For all that these guys have seen, coming back to their barracks to find a bubbly new life waiting for them must have been a big comfort.

There is video out there of Lava, just do a search for "lava dog iraq".

If you liked this book, you might want to give Flags of our Fathers a try as well. Very personal account as well, one of my favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter