• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book club January: The Wednesday Letters ( post #1 for BC info)

Well. I hate starting. But here I go.

At first I really struggled with the writing style. In that I felt that the abundance of description made it difficult, for me, to get hooked. But at some point all of that changed. I don't know whether something grabbed me or I got used to the style. Probably was the sex. Well, pre-rape scene I'm referring of course.

I don't know. It was something miniscule that really grabbed me. Briony's need for complete approval at work (before the onslaught of victims of war). I didn't think that she was the Briony of her youth. And without a lot of thought I judged that and the writing. As in the character had no continuity. Early on I thought, "What? I read Briony as an intense individual that bowed to no one and here she is reliant on the minute by minute reaction of someone else". And then suddenly it occured to me that the need for forgiveness and guilt could change anyone's character or core personality, couldn't it? It was a hit on the head that that is the novel in essence. That guilt can change everything for some people. And that the author was successful, smart, in cutting us off from Briony's years right after that night.

I obviously have more to say but I don't want to write a novel. So I'll leave it at that for now.

I had a hard time with the style of writing also. I had been wanting to read one of his books, does anyone know if this is his typical style? Anyway, I have to bow out of this one, I tried, really I did, but I had a trip to Vegas & Disneyland looming and I just wasn't in the mood for this book for some reason. I'm in for sure for the next though, can't wait to see what it will be!

I finished the book and had mixed thoughts on it, I managed to read it and quite enjoyed it however when I finished it, I no longer cared for it, Parts of the book that should have been moving (The War) I felt detached from.

The style of writing reminded me of The Hours, the narrative concentrates so much on the characters thoughts rather than the actual events, you learn about events from the character's thoughts rather than a narrator which makes the novel unreliable.

I too really struggled to read this. I kept thinking "what is the action?" At first, I really didn't like Briony. She came off to me as a spoiled and selfish girl. She did however grow on me.

Particularly in the beginning of the book I found all the characters selfish. Very much involved in what was going on in their own heads. I cared so little about what happened to these people that it was a struggle to read the book.

Particularly in the beginning of the book I found all the characters selfish. Very much involved in what was going on in their own heads. I cared so little about what happened to these people that it was a struggle to read the book.

There you go again. Said perfectly and so concisely!:lmao:

You know, at the beginning of the book, I thought a lot about The Kite Runner. Characters and writing style. And I suppose, for me, it was because it was a shock to go from the selflessness of Hassan to this clan. They all seemed so aloof.

bbangel:

I read an article about the strike this weekend. It seems like the librarians are going to hold out on their side, eh? The article said that they start at 27,000. It's crazy to think that someone can live on that in Vancouver. Any movement?

I read an article about the strike this weekend. It seems like the librarians are going to hold out on their side, eh? The article said that they start at 27,000. It's crazy to think that someone can live on that in Vancouver. Any movement?

We thought they were close to a deal but so far nada. You can live on that if you don't drive a car. Or have kids.
The outside workers is the stickiest one and they estimate 40% of them have gone to other jobs.

Unfortunately I just could not get into this book. I read about 1/4 of the way through and then put it down as I just couldn't get into it. Hopefully I will do better with next months selection.

Okay,

I'll wait a few days to see if anyone checks in. I'm not going to PM anyone for the next selection. This time I'll just go down the list until one of our names comes up. I can't be bothered to recheck the status each time.

Lisa

Umm... so... how do we find out what the next book is?

Umm... so... how do we find out what the next book is?

Right now we are just waiting to see if there are anymore comments about Atonement and also waiting to see if the next person on the list to pick (which is found on the first page) comes forward and wants to suggest a book. Hopefully, soon, I'm anxious for another pick!!

I just sent a PM to Coopsmum77 as a reminder that they are up for our next pick...so hopefully, we should have something by today or tomorrow.

Ok! Cool, thanks, just a little confused there. I understand now... kinda ;)

Thanks Vegasnative....

Yes, I was waiting a few days to see if any others are coming on about Atonement. One being Monte Cristo who picked the book. Where you Monsieur Cristo?;) And also waiting for those next on the list to jump on.

So this is how it all works. We discuss the book until it naturally stops. Then the next person, from the list on post #1, suggests the next book. This all happens within the week of returning. Sometimes, this is a natural smooth transaction and sometimes it takes a little work on my part.

I don't know how to say this in a nicer way but I've finished being responsible for others. But then again none of us here needs to hear that! :lmao: The list is always there on post #1. There is a head's up the month before. And I guess I expect if one is bowing out just come on the thread and say so. I don't have issue with bowing out or skipping a book or life taking over or a combination. That's life. I just don't want to go searching most months. Doesn't make sense to me. Just frustrated and venting. I'll get over it. ;) Quickly. As in now!!!:lmao:

Hi Folks,

I posted a few weeks back to see if anyone was interested in "From Baghdad with Love", or "Merle's Door". If not, let me know and I'll pick something else.

Hi Folks,

I posted a few weeks back to see if anyone was interested in "From Baghdad with Love", or "Merle's Door". If not, let me know and I'll pick something else.

Hey Coopsmum77~This is your pick...we are at your mercy...I think the only thing we ask is that the selection is available at libraries.....pick away. :thumbsup2

Hi Folks,

Hi Coopsmum,

As Vegasnative already said...your choice is your choice. We have just found that it's easier that way. So either is absolutely fine.

Thanks,

Lisa

I did see your two choices Coopsmum. I'm just in a foul mood. ;) And have been trying to find people on our list most months. Before you joined.

For those of us requesting stuff from our libraries, I will put my choice out there so you can get it ordered. But I want you guys to help out. I have picked two books, but don't want to make someone read one particular one if they don't want to.

Choices: From Baghdad with Love or Merle's Door

I don't want to put anyone into reading about the war if they don't want to. Both are dog stories, with an extra bit of life mixed in, and are both well reviewed. Just let me know.

I just looked them both up and either sounds good to me....they both sound like a nice change of pace, and again something/style/genre we have not read yet. Both also got good reviews from readers at Barnes & Noble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter