Book banning - how much does it matter to you?

How disturbed would you be if Sarah Palin did seek to ban books?

• I am a Democrat - it would really disturb me.

• I am a Democrat - it is much ado about nothing

• I am Republican - it would really disturb me

• I am Republican - it is much ado about nothing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh for crying out loud people. Here's an idea for the next Palin Poll: "IF Sarah Palin liked to crush kittens with her bare hands, would that bother you?
- Yes, I'm a animal lover!
- No, I'm more of a 'dog person'!" :rolleyes:

Let's look at what's been found out about this supposed Nazi book burning mayor:Hmmmm... No record of any attempts to ban books, no mention of any titles, no panicked phone calls from a librarian, no nothing. There is a supposed list floating around the 'Net of books Palin supposedly tried to ban, but it's bogus and is a dead-giveaway as it contains titles not even yet published when this supposedly happened. Palin's "banned book list" is an exact copy of this list of "books banned at one time or another in the US".

Hmmm... so what about those "other repercussions"? So did Palin try and fire Emmons because of the book thing? Well, she wasn't fired, the resignation requests were sent out before the "infamous" exchange at the city council meeting, the letters went to a number of other department heads that were hired by the previous mayor too, and Emmons publicly supported Palin's opponent in the election. By the way, it's not uncommon for government appointees to be asked for resignations when a new government head takes office. The head then will reject the letters from employees that they wish to continue in their service... that's the "loyalty test". Palin confirmed her desire to see Emmons continue as the city librarian, not once, but twice.

You know, I'm just not seeing a lot that would make you think that Palin actually wanted to ban books, or that she tried to fire the librarian because of the issue.

Oh please! This is a SMEAR campaign, we don't want any FACTS interjected into the mix, thanks.:thumbsup2

:rotfl2:

I would have picked "other" no matter what party I vote for, I do not agree with book banning in any way!!!!!!!!!!

An Independent here so I couldn't vote, but I'm against banning books in public libraries and I would be unhappy with Palin if it came out that she did that. I'm guessing there's nothing to it, though.

If she banned book it would not change my life. I would still read them and encourage others to read them. I did not vote since I do not have a strongl opinion either way. I would have voted in the middle.

Perhaps if she really was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party she just wanted to get a jumpstart on secession by rejecting pesky American values like Freedom of Speech. Americans don't even inquire about banning books.

If she banned book it would not change my life. I would still read them and encourage others to read them. I did not vote since I do not have a strongl opinion either way. I would have voted in the middle.

So you would not feel strongly if books were banned from a public library?

I do not believe in banning books. It is wrong no matter what your political affiliation.

I do not believe in banning books. It is wrong no matter what your political affiliation.

::yes::

I would hope that no one would approve of book banning. In regard to Palin, I haven't really paid close attention to the matter to comment. So many scandals, so little time...

Book banning is huge annoyance of mine. However, we have a system that can usually put a stop to that. Assuming this is true, 100 people stopped Sarah Palin from letting this happen. Therefore, I probably won't let that stop me from voting for the McCain ticket. Neither side is right on all issues.

OK, so it's perfectly fine to ask librarians how they would feel about anything other than total and complete access to the materials they as professionals have selected for the collection, as long as later on you call them "rhetorical".

And it's perfectly fine to ask a department head to resign, as long as you call it a "loyalty test", because that doesn't in any way imply that you have power over their job and that the answer to their "rhetorical" question wasn't the one you wanted to hear.

Jeez, louise - as a former Librarian this is chilling to me. It's like taking everything I worked so hard for my entire career and held dear and grinding it out with your shoe. Sickening...

OK, so it's perfectly fine to ask librarians how they would feel about anything other than total and complete access to the materials they as professionals have selected for the collection, as long as later on you call them "rhetorical".

And it's perfectly fine to ask a department head to resign, as long as you call it a "loyalty test", because that doesn't in any way imply that you have power over their job and that the answer to their "rhetorical" question wasn't the one you wanted to hear.

Jeez, louise - as a former Librarian this is chilling to me. It's like taking everything I worked so hard for my entire career and held dear and grinding it out with your shoe. Sickening...

I wish I knew the truth of the matter. I want to believe she would not have even entertained the idea.

I found this letter where a long time rsident speaks of Palin, and speaks some about the library issue, I wish snopes would take the time to disprove or prove the points in the letter.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/kilkenny.asp

I don't think it matters what party you are.

Book banning really bothers me.

I wish I knew the truth of the matter. I want to believe she would not have even entertained the idea.

I found this letter where a long time rsident speaks of Palin, and speaks some about the library issue, I wish snopes would take the time to disprove or prove the points in the letter.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/kilkenny.asp

Snopes did prove the letter existed. The update happened yesterday.

We have had a number of votes from people who are not disturbed by banning books. I wish y'all would elaborate.:confused3

Well, in my case it was because I was half asleep and read the poll wrong. You can add another person to the "I am a Democrat - it would really disturb me" camp.

If anyone has ever heard the term "push polling" and wondered what it is, the title of this thread is a textbook example. Use a false accusation, and rather than saying it's true — because it's not — ask those polled "If this were true, how would you feel…." It gets the false allegation out there, but the pollster has "plausible deniability" and can claim "I didn't say it was true, I said if it was true…" And those being polled simply assume it's true, or why would a pollster be asking it?

For the record, the "list" of books Gov. Palin supposedly wanted banned in 1996 is posted on the community blog of Barack Obama's official web site. It's a cut-and-paste from a website of books that have been banned at one time or another throughout the US. It hasn't a thing to do with Sarah Palin. And, the list includes Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets — published in 1999. Yup, that's our Sarah, banning books that are still three years away from being published. Hmmmmm. I guess she's that good.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/markbrickman/gG5rK5/commentary

Thanks for the push polling example, though. Hey, OP, are you a democrat pollster?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter