• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Book a room only and then add dinning later?

fmelchor88

Mouseketeer
I have a question. Can I book a room only and then add dinning later if we decide that we want dinning? Do I have to add tickets to the package?:confused3

Yes. The DDP is easy to add. I think you can do it up to 48 hours before you arrive, but check with CRO.

And you can add tickets at anytime. You don't need tickets to have the dining plan.

I don't know the offical answer but I can't see why not. They don't know that you have or don't have an annual pass or are just going to buy tickets when you get there. It seems like this should not be a problem.

Unless you have an AP or are DVC, if you want dining you need to add tickets.It then becomes a Package and subject to pkg rules.The dining plan needs to be added no later than 72 HRS PRIOR to check in .

You DO need tickets for the dining plan if you do not have an annual pass or are eligible for the military room discount.

Adding dining to a room only reservation is possible only if you convert it to a package reservation. A package must include at least a one-day ticket for each party member age 3 or over unless you fall into one of the above exceptions (or you are a DVC member staying on points).

You are then subject to the deposit, payment and cancellation rules applicable to MYW packages, not those applicable to room only reservations. Packages require at least a $200 deposit, must be paid in full no later than 45 days before arrival, and there are penalties for cancelling or downgrading a package reservation within 45 days of arrival. (Even if you have an annual pass and are adding just dining and no tickets, you are subject to the package rules. The reservation is still a package, although it is a ticketless package. You don't need to have an annual pass when you book the ticketless package, but you must show one at check-in. A child's annual will not be accepted for room reservations, at least one adult in your party must have an annual pass for this.)

You can add a dining plan to your reservation up to 72 hours prior to your arrival date. At that time, you must pay in full for your reservation if you are within 45 days of arrival, including the dining plan and any tickets you had to add.

If you are a DVC member staying on points, you may add a dining plan to your reservation through Member Services anytime up to 48 hours before check-in. You do not need to purchase tickets. Currently you pay for the plan at check-in, but that is changing; when the system does change over it appears you will have to pay for the plan when you add it to your reservation.

Thanks for clarifying. We have APs and been told on countless occasions that we can add the DDP at anytime. A CM once told me that it was the same way with all reservations. I guess I should know by now to not always trust CMs....

Sorry for the miscommunication, fmelchor88. Hope you read further and get the right answer to your question.

I have a question. Can I book a room only and then add dinning later if we decide that we want dinning? Do I have to add tickets to the package?:confused3

Room only reservations must be cancelled to rebook as a package. So.. booking now guarantees you nothing. Peace of mind if you like knowing you have something booked, but that reservation technically is not converted but cancelled and rebooked.

Because your cancelled room does not immediately drop back into inventory.. in the event your room category / resort was sold out.. you may have to be flexible on the room category or resort choice to convert to a package.

Complicated, I know.. But we've seen it all before. :)

Room only reservations must be cancelled to rebook as a package. So.. booking now guarantees you nothing. Peace of mind if you like knowing you have something booked, but that reservation technically is not converted but cancelled and rebooked.

Because your cancelled room does not immediately drop back into inventory.. in the event your room category / resort was sold out.. you may have to be flexible on the room category or resort choice to convert to a package.

Complicated, I know.. But we've seen it all before. :)

If you are booked on a room only then it does guarantee you the room availability to change it to a package for that offer only. The CM will check availability for the room first and if they can do it, they cancel and rebook it. However, if when they check it it is not in inventory, procedure is for them to call Guest Services and "overbook" the room. Once they cancel the room only, that will drop back in anyway.

The key thing above is "for that offer only". So if you have a room only booked and then you want to switch to a package because Free Dining came out, or because a pin offer came out and now you want to apply the offer and convert to a package, then it needs to be checked from that inventory.

If you have an AP room only or a military room only and then up to 72 hours prior, if you want the package, then no worries. You already have that discount, so it can be done. The process from a room only to a package is always a cancel/rebook. As for the payments, unless it is paid by a check, the money can't be transferred. It will have to be refunded and then repaid.

So.. to convert from a room only (which can't be booked with free dining) to a free dining reservation as a package..

You cancel the original reservation?

And those are two separate inventories.. Right?

So.. to convert from a room only (which can't be booked with free dining) to a free dining reservation as a package..

You cancel the original reservation?

And those are two separate inventories.. Right?

Correct. These are two separate offers. Rack rate vs Free Dining. So inventory for Free Dining would have to be checked. Now, compare that to AP room only vs AP with dining and if the guest decided to switch, they are guaranteed that availability because they are already on an AP rate. In either case, cancel/rebook is necessary.

If you are booked on a room only then it does guarantee you the room availability to change it to a package for that offer only. The CM will check availability for the room first and if they can do it, they cancel and rebook it. However, if when they check it it is not in inventory, procedure is for them to call Guest Services and "overbook" the room. Once they cancel the room only, that will drop back in anyway.

The key thing above is "for that offer only". So if you have a room only booked and then you want to switch to a package because Free Dining came out, or because a pin offer came out and now you want to apply the offer and convert to a package, then it needs to be checked from that inventory.

If you have an AP room only or a military room only and then up to 72 hours prior, if you want the package, then no worries. You already have that discount, so it can be done. The process from a room only to a package is always a cancel/rebook. As for the payments, unless it is paid by a check, the money can't be transferred. It will have to be refunded and then repaid.
Well for my families trip in August 2009 we originally had booked a room only Contemporary Atrium Club - Magic Kingdom View. However when we switched to the 4/3 deal we were told under that package the Atrium Club - Magic Kingdom View was not apart of it, so we had to take the Atrium Club - Bay Lake View in order to still stay Club Level.

Well for my families trip in August 2009 we originally had booked a room only Contemporary Atrium Club - Magic Kingdom View. However when we switched to the 4/3 deal we were told under that package the Atrium Club - Magic Kingdom View was not apart of it, so we had to take the Atrium Club - Bay Lake View in order to still stay Club Level.

Right, which is what I stated previously. If you're going from one offer to another, inventory is rechecked (in this case it was Rack Rate to 7F4 deal). In your case, it's not that the Theme Park View - Atrium Club Level room wasn't part of that promotion, it's that there are only about 20 of those rooms in the resort. So there are a limited number of rooms at that promotion.

What the OP was inquiring about was going from a room only to a package. If the same "offer" is kept - that being a room only rack rate to a package rack rate, then regardless of whether inventory is gone, that booking you made guarantees you the availability.

Ok, the more I read on this, the more I am confusing myself. So here's our situation:

-we currently have a 2BR at BLT (room only) booked with the 45% off public discount. I am considering adding tickets and the dining package. If I choose to do this and convert it over to a package, would I lose the 45% off discount???

Thanks!

Ok, the more I read on this, the more I am confusing myself. So here's our situation:

-we currently have a 2BR at BLT (room only) booked with the 45% off public discount. I am considering adding tickets and the dining package. If I choose to do this and convert it over to a package, would I lose the 45% off discount???

Thanks!

You might. You need to ask Disney Reservation Center.

Thanks!

No you will not because you are keeping the same discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter