Book a room I wouldn't pay rack rate for? Any advice?

sdms06

Earning My Ears
I am planning an April 2016 trip and my family really wants to stay at BC. Well, for a variety of dates for when we can travel, there is no standard OR garden view available. Crazy! Which leaves pool/lagoon view only. I don't want to pay rack rate for this room, but I know I want to be at some Disney resort during these dates.

I am thinking of booking it and hoping for a discount (which may not be likely, given that the resort seems to already be filling up!). Should no discount come for this room, I am willing to switch resorts to something less expensive, but sadly, as we really want BC.

Anyone do this? Is there any downside to this I am missing? I don't want to wait for the discount, as these spring discounts typically aren't released until Dec/Jan and I want to be booked somewhere for ADRs in Oct. Thanks for any opinions!

Only downside is every room booked at rack rate is one less they feel a need to offer at a discount.
Have you considered YC? Maybe there are more rooms there

There are actually LESS at YC! I'm not sure what is going on at YC/BC in April/May.

I am planning an April 2016 trip and my family really wants to stay at BC. Well, for a variety of dates for when we can travel, there is no standard OR garden view available. Crazy! Which leaves pool/lagoon view only. I don't want to pay rack rate for this room, but I know I want to be at some Disney resort during these dates.

I am thinking of booking it and hoping for a discount (which may not be likely, given that the resort seems to already be filling up!). Should no discount come for this room, I am willing to switch resorts to something less expensive, but sadly, as we really want BC.

Anyone do this? Is there any downside to this I am missing? I don't want to wait for the discount, as these spring discounts typically aren't released until Dec/Jan and I want to be booked somewhere for ADRs in Oct. Thanks for any opinions!

If you will only stay at the BC with a discount, I wouldn't book now. Disney offers discounts to fill rooms, so booking now in hopes of getting a discount can actually work against you sometimes. If a resort is at or near capacity, Disney will not see a need to offer a discount on that particular resort and/or room type (or a discount might be offered, but at a lower percentage). With that said, if there is a resort you are willing to pay rack rate for, I'd book that and make changes later if/when a discount is released for your dates.

If you will only stay at the BC with a discount, I wouldn't book now. Disney offers discounts to fill rooms, so booking now in hopes of getting a discount can actually work against you sometimes. If a resort is at or near capacity, Disney will not see a need to offer a discount on that particular resort and/or room type (or a discount might be offered, but at a lower percentage). With that said, if there is a resort you are willing to pay rack rate for, I'd book that and make changes later if/when a discount is released for your dates.

This is a good approach. Thank you!

Me and the gf are booked for a BC stay in october 16' and we're hoping a discount comes out next year but even if it doesn't we've got over a year to pay it off. Hope you get a discount on your stay

I agree with Mickeynut. Book the resort you can afford now. If an when a discount comes out that you can use at BC, then call and make the necessary changes.

One thing to note - BC/YC is a convention facility. Blocks of rooms will be set aside for the conventions, but unused rooms are released back into the inventory at intervals. So keep checking.

We always book where we can afford to stay if those dates are solid for us. If a code is released I call and make the changes, and so far so good for us.

Lately we are usually discount driven, so unless there is a discount that is offered that works for my family, we don't book, and honestly, if it is free dining, I check that there are plenty of options we want before I commit that $200 deposit. I think that all those folks who booked rooms in anticipation of discounts for the Fall actually contributed to that fiasco when the FD codes were released. There was not much available and all those folks were vying for the limited rooms and dates. Once they dropped their reservations more opened up and I have been inundated with mailings offering me special package deals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter