Bonnet creek vs Disney resort question on transportation to parks and more

tami82

DIS Veteran
i am debating whether or not to stay at poly in August 2016 or go with Bonnet Creek and do something totally different. I'm afraid being in one room and being in queen sized beds don't work for our family of 4'anymore based on our last vacation a week ago. My main concern is the transportation to the parks. I'm thinking this time go for a waterpark and more option as we have never done the water parks before due to cost if we decide on staying at Bonnet Creek and if so how far of a,drive are the two water parks from the condos, how much is it for parking as we will have our own car. How,far is it to the other Disney parks as well and is there a lot of traffic in the mornings to get to the parks. We aren't rope droppers so being late isn't an issue. I know BC has a shuttle, how good are they do they run hourly and is the 6.00 charge per person per day good for many round trips per day or just one?

Is the changeover worth it in the long run even though we won't have Disney transportation. Moneywise and bigger living space is great though.

You might want to post this on the Disney Resorts board to get some other viewpoints. Most of us here (me included) are big fans of offsite rental condos (the value especially if you do an owner rental is exceptional - quality for price, and offsite resorts are really nice). I love having my own kitchen -- even if it's just for breakfast and snacks. My teen is always eating. I love having a balcony without having to pay Disney Deluxe prices. A big hangout area in the LV/DR is wonderful too. And if I have a condo, I pack lighter, as it's so easy to throw in a load of laundry once or twice. I've also done a comparison of renting Disney points from an owner for Disney condo vs. offsite condo rental from an owner, and when I've crunched the numbers, I've found Disney condos to be triple my offsite price and it's never been worth it to me to pay that much more. I've never stayed at Bonnet Creek, but have stayed at other offsite timeshare properties that are in the same general area, but a little farther away -- Cypress Pointe and the Sheraton Vistana Resort. I'm thinking you'll get quite a few responses from people who have actually stayed at Bonnet Creek too on this forum too.

Anyway back to your questions. With the exception of the downtown Disney hotels, shuttles typically have very limited schedules making driving your own car the way to go. I find that it's pretty easy to drive around Disney and driving my own car is faster than waiting for a shuttle even when I'm off property and farther away than you would be. It's not as convenient as the monorail from the POLY to the MK, though, that's for sure. Parking at the parks is $17 a day and if you hop from one to another, etc. you only pay once. Also there is no fee for parking at Disney water parks. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/directions-parking/parking-costs/. With teens though who might be going places on their own, I can see that more frequent shuttles would be nice, and that's something you would be giving up. If you're going to be going most places together that's not as big a deal.

The POLY is absolutely lovely, but very pricey. I do love the grounds and vibe there, and if you go offsite you aren't going to get the same kind of theming as you get there. It's just going to be a lovely generic resort, so you have to decide if that would be acceptable to you. Personally, I think it would be worth it to try offsite and see what you think. So many of us after doing this never go back to onsite again. Some people like to switch it up onsite and offsite. And there are others who say never again to offsite.

The people most thrilled with offsite, though, tend I think to have when onsite stayed at moderates and values, and the offsite resorts are IMHO much nicer with way more amenities than those plus they cost less. That makes the offsite choice a no brainer. You're not giving up much. Disney deluxe resorts have IMHO incredible theming and convenient locations that the offsite resorts don't have. I do love that theming, but not for the price and choose offsite. But I could see you missing that if going offsite.

Disney does have their condos too. And there is the option of renting Disney points and staying at a Disney condo at one of the deluxe property locations. If you want the space that option and offsite are probably your best comparisons. And then the choice becomes am I willing to pay three times as much to be in a better themed resort, closer location, with the Disney transportation or do I want to try offsite (give up that and go for the incredible value that many offsite visitors rave about).

Oh and early morning traffic -- It's just not there. Road are pretty empty in the mornings. People sleep in on vacation.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Kathy formthe information! I will post on the other board and see what they say but I'm guessing they would favor Disney.

Stayed at WBC a few times and heading back in October.
- Parking at WBC is free, Disney main parks $17 (includes hopping), water parks Free, Downtown Disney Free
- Distance to Waterparks, TL maybe 5 minutes and BB maybe 10 minutes
- Distance to main parks, DHS under 10 minutes, AK 10 minutes, Epcot 10 minutes and to MK toll booth 10+ minutes so add the travel across the bay.
- Honestly you will be to any park just as fast or faster than using Disney transportation from a resort that is not AT at park, like Poly to MK.
- Great location to everything, even off site.

Last edited:
i am debating whether or not to stay at poly in August 2016 or go with Bonnet Creek and do something totally different. I'm afraid being in one room and being in queen sized beds don't work for our family of 4'anymore based on our last vacation a week ago. My main concern is the transportation to the parks. I'm thinking this time go for a waterpark and more option as we have never done the water parks before due to cost if we decide on staying at Bonnet Creek and if so how far of a,drive are the two water parks from the condos, how much is it for parking as we will have our own car. How,far is it to the other Disney parks as well and is there a lot of traffic in the mornings to get to the parks. We aren't rope droppers so being late isn't an issue. I know BC has a shuttle, how good are they do they run hourly and is the 6.00 charge per person per day good for many round trips per day or just one?

Is the changeover worth it in the long run even though we won't have Disney transportation. Moneywise and bigger living space is great though.

The WBC shuttle is now $7 a day, so it would be $28 a day for a family of four. You are required to make reservations for the shuttle as it runs on a limited schedule.

While you do have to pay to park at the theme parks, its free at the water parks, downtown disney and the disney resorts.

Thanks! Is it for only one round trip per day or unlimited.

From their website - I interpret it as per round trip so if you did a park, then came back to swim then went to a park you would be paying twice. I would be driving.

"The resort offers scheduled transportation to the Disney Theme Parks. Guests at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $7 per person per round trip including children. Additionally, Our on-site Disney Planning Center is staffed with Disney Cast Members who can assist you with a full array of Walt Disney World® Tickets, Disney Dining Reservations, and insider tips for visiting the parks."

From their website - I interpret it as per round trip so if you did a park, then came back to swim then went to a park you would be paying twice. I would be driving.

"The resort offers scheduled transportation to the Disney Theme Parks. Guests at Wyndham Bonnet Creek utilizing the transportation shuttle to a Disney theme park or Downtown Disney will need a ticket to board the bus. Tickets will be sold at the resort for $7 per person per round trip including children. Additionally, Our on-site Disney Planning Center is staffed with Disney Cast Members who can assist you with a full array of Walt Disney World® Tickets, Disney Dining Reservations, and insider tips for visiting the parks."

Interesting, for a family of 5 to go to the parks in the morning, take a break in the afternoon, then return in the evening it would cost $70 a day. Ouch!

Driving is easy and quick. Go when you want, come back to the resort whenever you are ready, as opposed to waiting for the next scheduled bus.

In addition, driving opens up the whole menu of offsite stuff. Even if all you do is eat offsite, you'll be ahead of the game. We didn't use the WBC buses when they were free (or Disney buses when staying onsite), just because driving was so much more convenient.

Driving is easy and quick. Go when you want, come back to the resort whenever you are ready, as opposed to waiting for the next scheduled bus.

In addition, driving opens up the whole menu of offsite stuff. Even if all you do is eat offsite, you'll be ahead of the game. We didn't use the WBC buses when they were free (or Disney buses when staying onsite), just because driving was so much more convenient.

Agree. Offsite = car. I don't care if they have a free shuttle or not, I don't want to be tied to the what-ifs and be stuck anywhere.

We are at Wyndam bonnet creek now and we have been using UBer this whole vacation and it's been fantastic and very cheap compared to there shuttle, no waiting in bus lines and go at your own time. So far these are my charges... Some ended up free because there's another adult in my group so I referred her...
8.72 from Animal Kingdom (1st ride free for signing up)
5.10 to pop century
8.41 from Poly
4.61 to Hollywood Studios (free for Referral after there first ride)
6.40 from Hollywood studios (surge pricing)

We are at Wyndam bonnet creek now and we have been using UBer this whole vacation and it's been fantastic and very cheap compared to there shuttle, no waiting in bus lines and go at your own time. So far these are my charges... Some ended up free because there's another adult in my group so I referred her...
8.72 from Animal Kingdom (1st ride free for signing up)
5.10 to pop century
8.41 from Poly
4.61 to Hollywood Studios (free for Referral after there first ride)
6.40 from Hollywood studios (surge pricing)
I would also check Lyft, which doesn't use "surge pricing" during busy periods. We used them in Chicago this spring with very good service and cheap transportation. They also have new account and referral bonuses/discounts.

We LOVE Bonnet Creek and have stayed several times. We have tried many Disney resorts including deluxe and villas and find Bonnet Creek is as nice and in most cases nicer. The pools are fantastic, the lake beautiful, and the condos are amazing. We do rent a car so can not give any advice on the Shuttle. I will say driving to the parks is easy, fast, and for us a much nicer experience than crowding on a bus. My dh absolutely refused to take a disney shuttle when we stayed on. Nothing upset him more then counting 3 shuttles to Pop as we waited for ours to Poly. Considering the price difference between the two resorts, it just felt wrong. (sorry, off subject) If we decided to take Bonnet Creek shuttle, adding 70.00 a night for the shuttle still makes BC a bargain by Disney standards. Parking is free for disney passholders so we've never paid to park but adding the price of parking each day, it will still come out a better deal. You get a deluxe property for the price of a value room. Have a grey tie

Its been 3 years and I'm finally able to plan another trip- our Disney Do-Over!
We're staying at Bonnet Creek again. As far as the shuttle- you cant walk over to the Hilton and take the bus from there?

Ha! just saw my info- "Wishing and hoping for Nov-Dec 2016" >> we're doing it! :D

We're staying at Bonnet Creek again. As far as the shuttle- you cant walk over to the Hilton and take the bus from there?

The Hilton Shuttle appears to be every 30 minutes most of the day. It's free (or included in resort fee) for guests of the Hilton and Waldorf. Are you asking if they check for ID? Are you asking if guests can pay and take advantage of the better schedule?

One of the things people give up when they rent a timesshare condo facility as an owner is daily maid service and free shuttle service to the parks.

People who stay offsite, Bonnet Creek is offsite, generally need to plan on driving. Some offsite properties are close. Uber might be an acceptable alternative.

No, you can't take the Hilton shuttle if you're staying at the Wyndham. The Hilton shuttle is for guests of the Hilton and Waldorf only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter