• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bonnet Creek v. Windsor Hills

amyy

<font color=royalblue> I do pat them out on a flou
Just trying to decide between the two. The biggest difference seems that Bonnet Creek is on Disney while Windsor Hills is cheaper.

Are there other bigger differences?

thanks

I'd vote for BC. Even though WH is a short drive, BC is really right there, surrounded on 3 sides by Disney property. It's really the closest 'offsite' accomodations. We've toured the outside on our own when we had some time to kill one trip and the pool/lazy river area looked great. To have a condo type room so close is just perfect and it's not outrageously priced.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am leaning towards BC too. I contacted Ken Price and I can't believe how prompt he was in getting back to me. In a way it is good that Disney isn't doing deals for our timeframe because I would never have looked at BC. Now knowing the price looking at a Disney room will be tough.

I've stayed at quite a few different houses and condos in Orlando. I absolutely LOVE Bonnet Creek. We recently returned from a stay at Sunset Lake. The house was great, and the price was excellent, but I never would have considered anywhere but BC if it hadn't been for my son-in-law who wanted to fish.

Be sure to check out ebay as well. I've gotten excellent deals there too. :thumbsup2

We've done Windsor Hills a few times...a condo once and a 5 bedroom house with a private pool once. The accomodations were wonderful BUT....I think their community pool leaves much to be desired. In the summer it's crowded and it's not near as big as they make it look in the pictures on the website. And the slide is really rickety. My kids were pretty dissapointed. Pools are a big part of our vacations!

Bonnet Creek has multiple pools, slides, lazy river,hot tubs,etc. The resort itself has much more to offer. And the free shuttles are also a perk...Windsor Hills charges for theirs.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am leaning towards BC too. I contacted Dave someone that people on here mention and I can't believe how prompt he was in getting back to me. In a way it is good that Disney isn't doing deals for our timeframe because I would never have looked at BC. Now knowing the price looking at a Disney room will be tough.

A lot of people recommended Ken Price too. I talked to him but we were only going for a long weekend, 3 nts, and he admitted that with fees and weekend only rates, he couldn't get me a great price for my stay but if we were staying a whole week, it wouldn't be much more than the 3 nt price.

ken@vacationupgrades.com

I double checked me email and it was Ken Price I emailed. I was so impressed with how quickly he got back to be.

Windsor Hills is like having an uncle with a very nice house, in a very nice subdivision, that happens to be a stone's throw to WDW. Especially if you choose a home that backs up onto a conservation area, it's very quiet, private. You can park right outside your door. The community amenities are nice, but there really isn't a place to grab a bite or a drink, other than your own kitchen of course.

Bonnet Creek is more densely populated, more "active", and has a bit more of a resort vibe. You won't have as much privacy, and you won't park right outside the building most of the time. But there are a couple of places to get a sandwich, a slice of pizza, or a cocktail, and you're a moderate walk from the restaurants in the Hilton and Waldorf, across the way. When the Wyndham hotel opens, the restaurant situation will be even better.

BC feels like a "more Disney" location, but WH is possibly an easier drive to the parks, because Buena Vista has several traffic lights.

We happen to prefer the slightly more active/resort-y feel of Bonnet, and while it is a bit more expensive than Windsor, in absolute terms it is still pretty cheap. But it would be hard to go wrong either way.

I have stayed at both. WH feels like you are staying in a housing development that could be anywhere (well, except for the palm trees). While I thought it was nice, it didn't have a vacation feel to me and I agree with the person who said that the slide at the main pool does shake a lot. Bonnet Creek has more of a resort feel to it and when I'm on vacation, that's what I want.

I have stayed at both. WH feels like you are staying in a housing development that could be anywhere (well, except for the palm trees). While I thought it was nice, it didn't have a vacation feel to me and I agree with the person who said that the slide at the main pool does shake a lot. Bonnet Creek has more of a resort feel to it and when I'm on vacation, that's what I want.

Exactly the way we feel. We don't want to be "home" on vacation - we want to be in a resort type setting with plenty of on site services. Nothing against WH but the experience is one of staying at someones house (nice, but you're kinda on your own with nothing special about the place) vs a true resort with parties, other visiting guests and a special trip "look & feel". We don't get that resort vacation feel at any rental home including WH.

I agree about the resort feel. I haven't stayed at Bonnet Creek before but we were considering it. From now on we are trying to go at least twice a year. We are planning on alternating between offsite and onsite. For spring break we are renting a house, and then at the beg of June we are looking to stay onsite. I love the resort feel, but when I get the resort feel I start spending money like I am on vacation. Staying at a house feels more like a "staycation" where you are cooking and eating and cleaning almost like normal, but then going on fun outings during the day. The kids can stay closer to their normal routines with their own space and that helps tremendously. Even the adults stay closer to normal routines, but with more time for fun than at home. You just need a different mindset to stay in a home vs resort.

Staying at a house feels more like a "staycation" where you are cooking and eating and cleaning almost like normal, but then going on fun outings during the day.
Interestingly, we don't really eat any differently on a Disney trip, whether we are at a home in Windsor Hills, at a condo at Bonnet Creek, or at a DVC Villa. Breakfast is always "in"---usually cereal, toaster waffles, pre-cooked bacon, and I will sometimes scramble eggs. Lunch and dinner are almost always "out", but we often will take one evening off with delivery from Giordano's.

And, as for cleaning---other than tossing dishes in the dishwasher, I'm only there for a week. I don't feel the need to clean during that time. ;)

Good thread.

We've only stayed at WH. We loved it. DW wants to buy a condo unit there.

It is interesting to see that BC gets a lot of positive comparative reviews.

I will note that I have ZERO complaints about WH. And the oft-mentioned slide was very popular with my 8, 9 and 11 y/o kids

Interestingly, we don't really eat any differently on a Disney trip, whether we are at a home in Windsor Hills, at a condo at Bonnet Creek, or at a DVC Villa. Breakfast is always "in"---usually cereal, toaster waffles, pre-cooked bacon, and I will sometimes scramble eggs. Lunch and dinner are almost always "out", but we often will take one evening off with delivery from Giordano's.

And, as for cleaning---other than tossing dishes in the dishwasher, I'm only there for a week. I don't feel the need to clean during that time. ;)

I meant more like picking up after rotten stinking kids and husbands who can't find the laundry basket/garbage can/dishwasher:rolleyes1

That's us. I just pitch in a load of clothes and/or towels now and then (which means I don't have to take home dirty clothes, and I don't have to bring as many clothes as I normally would). :)

I meant more like picking up after rotten stinking kids and husbands who can't find the laundry basket/garbage can/dishwasher:rolleyes1

:rotfl2: Now, that's a whole other thread! :rotfl:

I meant more like picking up after rotten stinking kids and husbands who can't find the laundry basket/garbage can/dishwasher.

Unfortunately, that happens at Bonnet Creek too. :scared1:

Yeah if we could stop it from happening at home I wouldn't feel like I deserve so many vacations!

We stayed at a Windsor Hills townhome during our last WDW visit (May 2008) and loved it. We considered WH again for our upcoming April trip but after reading the boards decided to give Bonnet Creek a try. I misssed the "resort feel" during our WH stay but didn't want to pay Disney prices this time. I just booked Bonnet Creek through Ken Price and am super excited to stay there. They had me at lazy river :thumbsup2

Does Bonnet Creek have any houses? We need space for 9 (at least 4 bedrooms, ideally 5) and we want to all stay in the same house. We were looking into WH b/c it seems to be the closest while still having larger accommodations. We would also be interested in BC if they have places large enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter