• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bonine twice a day, too much?

quidam

Mouseketeer
When we cruised on the Wonder last August, I took Bonine every day starting the day before the cruise and still felt very sick the first nite (I know, it's the worst...) I also had to take Prevacid, eat crackers, chew gum and wear Sea-Bands to find some relief.

Wearing the Patch is out of the question for me. It made me VERY SICK on my first cruise (I spent the first three days in my cabin... yerk!).

Should I take Bonine twice a day this time around? (we're going again in March) What would be the best time to take it? I asked my pharmacist, but he wasn't really helpful.

Sorry for the long post... Thanks in advance for your tips!

I took bonine twice the day we were in Cozumel. I had been taking it daily up til then, but when we went deep sea fishing I got terribly sick. Once we were back in our cabin, I took another Bonine. I didn't really feel better until the next day. I don't think 2 a day is going to hurt you. As I recall the dosage was one or two every 24 hours. I'd put in a call to your dr to be on the safe side.

Yes, I think only your doctor should answer that question if you're talking about a dosage different than the package instructs.

I believe that the package indicates that you can take it twice daily. I only need it once daily.

vicki

Just bought a box. It says take 1-2 daily.

How sleepy does it make everyone? I've never taken it before. My parents used to give me Dramamine as a kid....I slept through a lot of long car trips with that stuff! But, it was better than the alternative!

I use bonine regularly for flights and have also used it on cruises. It will not make you drowsy at all.

Hi All!
Dave from the DCLTribute asked me to help out! We sailed on the 5/26/01 Magic! (Sooo long ago, but what memories!):D

You may take Bonine (Meclizine) twice daily if necessary. It is best to start taking it the night BEFORE you cruise and continue to take it in the evening daily. If you do suffer from any drowsy side effects it will be closer to bedtime (at least for some!!)
You can take the 2nd tablet at any time during that day if needed. Some may need to take a 2 tab dose to produce motion sickness relief!

Most of the side effects will decrease as you continue to take it. It can also help for that "day after ocean motion" you can feel for a couple of days after you get off the ship, if it bothers you!

Hate to say it, but our next ocean venture will be on the Carnival Pride on 5/24/03! Of course, the Magic will also be in Port Canaveral that day and will have to "wistfully" watch her as we leave that day!:( (Oh, I DO hope we get to hear the horn!!)

But the cost of using Hilton Grand Vacation Club Points and just a little over $900 out of pocket for four of us makes it worth it!:bounce:

Happy Cruzin Ya'll!!

Jacquelyn:teeth:

I have a BIG problem with motion sickness. I've been very seasick to somewhat seasick on all of my cruises except this last one. I took Claritin (it is now available over the counter) daily for my recently diagnosed allergies during my cruise last week and the best bonus was that I was never seasick! Check with your physician and the packaging for potential side effects. Good luck and happy sailing!

Edit: Jacquelyn11 is absolutely correct (see following post); thank you for clarifying the different classes of drugs. I should have said that while Claritin is not recommended for motion sickness, that it worked for me (while the other meds have not). People have different reactions to different meds. Read the packaging, follow the recommended dosages and don't be afraid to ask your physician or pharmacist questions. Thanks again Jacquelyn11.

Sorry, couldn't help seeing the post just after mine and clarifying!!

Bonine (Meclizine) is a a piperazine-derivative antihistamine, while Claritin (Loratadine) a derivative of azatadine, is a second generation antihistamine.

While both are anit-histamines, their mechanism of action is very different! If you look on your box of OTC Claritin, MOTION SICKNESS will NOT be a indication!!!!:earseek:

ALWAYS check the info on the OTC box or better yet, With your Pharmacist, to make sure the meds you take are the RIGHT ones for what you want to treat!! Also check with your pharmacist for any drug interations that might occur with your current medication PRIOR to your cruise! Also, trying a dose on "DRY LAND" is not a bad idea either! (a P.S.A!)

I had a post about 2 years ago that explained ALL the motion sickness remidies available, but the board dosen't go back that far! I do know Mickey's Magical Cruise guide has some of the info I posted at that time! If I find it again, I'll re-post it!

Just needed a professional two cent's worth!

Happy Cruzin' Ya'll!

FOUND IT!! http://wdwig.com/cruise/cruise.shtml
Look under 13.11 Seasickness

Thanks to everyone and especially to Dave and Jacquelyn! I'll most probably take two Bonine on the first day!

Can't wait to cruise... only 23 days left before we go!

I get motion sickness very easy. For our first cruise I was so sure I would get sick I used the sea bands and 2 meclizine (1 in the morning and 1 at night.) It was only a three day cruise, The first day I felt great and was not sick at all. The second day half way through the day I took off the sea bands and still did not feel sick but was very very tired. I stopped the meclizine and felt great for the rest of the trip.
Can the meclizine make some people tired?
I had more of a problem after we were off the ship. It took me 2 or 3 days to get my legs back.
Packing the sea bands and meclizine again for our next cruise just in case.

We are just back from our first cruise and I suffer from very bad motion sickness, so I was very worried about the cruise (my husband couldn't believe I had planned one because of it). I took a Bonine around lunch time and again an hour before sailing. I did feel the motion of the ship (we were zipping along and it was impossible not to feel it), but I tried really hard to let it not bother me and it didn't! Do not look our the portholes or over the railings to watch the movement of the water is my advice.

The following days, we were docked and I only took one Bonine an hour before sailing and I was fine. The ship seemed to go at a much slower pace and that helped. I also drank wine in the evenings. Didn't feel too tired until almost midnight and then I slept great!

I also took a Bonine the day before we sailed, as we were driving to Florida, just to get it in my system.

I am (finally!) recovering from a bad stomach virus. One day I was violently dizzy, spinning and nauseous. My DH went and got me the wrist bands and Bonine. Within 1 1/2 hours it stopped. I was still sick, but that dizzy, motion sickness feeling was gone. It WORKS!!! I am so relieved as this was a major fear for my trip.

Donna,

I noticed that you're going on a cruise in 22 days... On which cruise/boat are you going? I will be on the Wonder on March 2... Will you be on the same cruise?

Have you thought about or ever tried ginger? Everyone in my family swears by Ginger. You can get ginger root capsules in with viatamins etc. I'll be taking ginger snaps for my DD1 to snack on as well as drink gingerale.

First of all I hope you don't mind me answering quidam's question for ya DopeyRN. Quidam: Her family is going on the 3/01 magic cruise. DopeyRN see you on the ship!
Matt

you have to take the capsules 3 to 4 times daily. For some that's just "too much to remember" while on vacation! Since the ocean's motion is constant while at sea, something longer acting is more helpful for prevention.

My tried and true recomendation is still Chewable Bonine!:wave:

How many mg of meclizine are in the bonine tablets you are taking???? I know the bonine I took (while pregnant for morning sickness at advice of my ob/gyn) was only 12.5 mg...worked great until the last cruise (on the carnival spirit) that was a week long and then I was really sick too. I ran out of the bonine and meclizine so I went to Walmart to buy some more (we use it for upset stomachs at theme parks, car sickness everything to do with tummy probs at recommendation of doctor) before our Disney cruise in November last year but they (walmart) gave me 100 tablets of meclizine that were 25 mg and so only taking one helped alot. The bottle of meclizine from Geneva of meclizine tablets is 25 mg and it says on the bottle you can take 1-2 tablets once daily but I would assume if you could take 2 tablets you could take them 12 hours apart and be ok. Check with YOUR doctor however....they will be able to help you the most even though all of us have the best of intentions your doctor who knows you the best can help you answer that question the best. Or at the very least check with your pharmacist. Also Meclizine is the active ingredient in Bonine and MUCH cheaper and can be bought from a pharmacy behind the counter (at least here) without a prescription!

Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter