• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bonine or Dramamine

Good to know! I’m in Canada so I’m not sure if that makes a difference or if they even have the same thing available!

I know you were asking about the patch but just in case, meclizine is not sold in Canada any more, oddly ... I ordered mine from Amazon.ca, it's a generic 25 mg Meclizine HCl product. Bonine/meclizine is what works for me, it does not make me drowsy (on a cruise I usually take it at night, but at home I sometimes take it in the am if I'm using public transit to get somewhere as I get a bit sick doing that, and still no drowsiness)

I start taking bonine the night before the cruise. I then take it each night before bed. That was the drowsiness I feel doesn't matter. It worked great for me.

Tried the transderm scop patch for our first cruise, but it made me kind of dizzy. My seasickness/nausea went away after that first night leaving port canaveral, and all was well afterwards. Have tried sea bands with some success. And I do fairly well with bonine too. Going to try ginger on our next cruise.

I know you were asking about the patch but just in case, meclizine is not sold in Canada any more, oddly ... I ordered mine from Amazon.ca, it's a generic 25 mg Meclizine HCl product. Bonine/meclizine is what works for me, it does not make me drowsy (on a cruise I usually take it at night, but at home I sometimes take it in the am if I'm using public transit to get somewhere as I get a bit sick doing that, and still no drowsiness)
Thanks! That’s good to know! How do any of these compare to Gravol? I’m not sure that I’ve ever taken that either.

Thanks! That’s good to know! How do any of these compare to Gravol? I’m not sure that I’ve ever taken that either.

In Canada, you usually won't find the brand Dramamine, it is indeed marketed as Gravol here. For me, Gravol/Dramamine make me drowsy.

Good to know! I didn’t realize they were the same thing - clearly I’ve never taken either! Lol! What about non-drowsy Gravol? Is that the same as Bonnie?

I have never seen non-drowsy Gravol, except for Gravol Ginger, which would be the same as non-drowsy Dramamine, which is to say it's just ginger based. Gravol doesn't have a product with meclizine in it, at least not in Canada, b/c meclizine isn't sold in Canada.

Are the patches a prescription?
Yes, and an expensive one! Unfortunately, they quit making the generic, so you have to purchase the name-brand Trans-Derm Scop. I ask my doctor to make a prescription for 90 days (30 patches). The pharmacist sometimes balks, but it allows me to purchase a bunch at the best price I can get. Last week it cost me $200 for 30 patches at CVS. Would have been $600+ using GoodRx coupon.

I have never seen non-drowsy Gravol, except for Gravol Ginger, which would be the same as non-drowsy Dramamine, which is to say it's just ginger based. Gravol doesn't have a product with meclizine in it, at least not in Canada, b/c meclizine isn't sold in Canada.
I swear I’ve seen non- drowsy Gravol!! I’ll have to check again next time I go to Shoppers!!

Yes, and an expensive one! Unfortunately, they quit making the generic, so you have to purchase the name-brand Trans-Derm Scop. I ask my doctor to make a prescription for 90 days (30 patches). The pharmacist sometimes balks, but it allows me to purchase a bunch at the best price I can get. Last week it cost me $200 for 30 patches at CVS. Would have been $600+ using GoodRx coupon.
Our doctor must be more conservative. She won't prescribe any more than is needed for a given cruise. We usually only get three patches each. However, this doesn't always work out, because sometimes they fall off early.

Scopolamine patches for us. No drowsiness. No forgetting to take a dose.
I am going to ask my doctor for this next week. I've never taken it, but have read a lot about it.

Do you experience any side effects? The drowsiness? Dry mouth? Dizzy?

Can you have any alcohol on it? I'd like the ability to order a drink with a meal, but don't want to chance it if it will compound any side effects.

There is a local carnival near us a couple weeks before we leave, so my plan is to try it out there.

Also, I know you change it every three days, but if they trip is over "mid session" can you take it off, or do you need to have it run out the three days?

I will of course address these issues with my doctor too, but looking for first hand info.

Thanks!

I am going to ask my doctor for this next week. I've never taken it, but have read a lot about it.

Do you experience any side effects? The drowsiness? Dry mouth? Dizzy?

Can you have any alcohol on it? I'd like the ability to order a drink with a meal, but don't want to chance it if it will compound any side effects.

There is a local carnival near us a couple weeks before we leave, so my plan is to try it out there.

Also, I know you change it every three days, but if they trip is over "mid session" can you take it off, or do you need to have it run out the three days?

I will of course address these issues with my doctor too, but looking for first hand info.

Thanks!
For me, no dizziness or drowsiness, but you will almost certainly get dry mouth. (That's actually one of its intended purposes -- scopolamine is given to patients before surgery to dry up secretions as well as to reduce nausea.)

I've never had any issue with alcohol and the scopolamine patches.

You can remove them at any time.

For me, no dizziness or drowsiness, but you will almost certainly get dry mouth. (That's actually one of its intended purposes -- scopolamine is given to patients before surgery to dry up secretions as well as to reduce nausea.)

I've never had any issue with alcohol and the scopolamine patches.

You can remove them at any time.
This is us. Very dry mouth - especially in the evening/night - so we bring biotene spray to moisten our mouths. Another note....you need to be VERY careful to wash your hands thoroughly after applying the patch - and NOT touch your eyes until you do - because Scopolomine can cause vision problems if it gets in your eyes.

We prefer Bonine but I have a really hard time finding it. I buy meclizine at our pharmacy (kaiser). I get about 100 tabs for $10 or so.

We like Bonine because it really is nondrowsy for us. Even the less drowsy dramamine makes us sleepy and it's pretty pricey because i've only seen the brand name, 8 tablets at a time.

I've tried the patch but not for sea sickness and I couldn't read for about a week. One of my favorite things to do on vacation is read.

I took Dramamine on my first ever cruise and I had a terrible time staying awake in the theaters, dinner, anywhere I was sitting. I didn't think cruising was for me if it was going to be like that. Husband talked me into trying a second cruise, took Bonine and had no side effects. It has been perfect for me. I start taking it a full day before we get on board to adjust. Getting ready for cruise #8 in a few weeks and have never had an issue with being sick since cruise #1. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter