Boneheads getting on rides

A similar thing happened to my sister and I when we were teenagers. We were getting on BTMRR at DL and next thing we know, there is a middle aged, rather pooh sized man sitting right next to us. I don't know if the CM put him there or if the guy couldn't wait for the next train, but it was the most uncomfortable ride ever!

I've had really uncomfortable rides on the Great Movie Ride too. I understand the rows are supposed to hold more than one family (generally) but I really don't think there's room for, like, ten adults! Honestly, if I'm physically touching the person next to me, that's just too close for comfort.

This one time!!!! I was on a ride!!!! And someone sat next to me!!! And for the next three minute we were nearly touching!@!! I ALMOST DIED.

On the boat rides they often fill up the rows so for IASW, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, those boats are filled to capacity. Same with the train...if its really full there might be more than one group in a row (of course there you are picking out where you sit on your own).

It would never occur to me on the long bench seating to think that I would have the row to myself or to just myself and husband.

Liz

Totally.

And sometimes the CMs really DO mean for you to sit with others! DS was with our cousins on Peter Pan, and DH and I went to ride Small World. The seating CM pointed us to the line where there was already a couple standing. But he didn't use the wording that indicates you are on the next ride, and he certainly could have put us in a different boat if he'd intended us to go on the NEXT ride.

I went back to him, to clarify, and he said that yes the four of us were to ride together.

I didn't want to make a scene, but it sure was uncomfortable!

The most dangerous words on the Internet "I think.."

I think the kid was confused and thought you should all load at once.
I think that if it bothered you or your kids, you had every right to speak up and ask to be on the next train or that the boy be asked to ride the next train, particularly if there wasn't much of a line.
I think that on rides with individual seats, this wouldn't have bothered me, but with a bench seat, it would have.
I think 3 people on BTMRR is a lot for 1 bench.
I think the CM should have realized what was going on or if they had sent this boy into your line and told him to load with you, they should have said something to you first.
I think that there's a way to bring this kind of thing to a CM or employee's attention without making a huge scene or being mean about it. You could have easily raised your hand and waved the CM over or loudly said Excuse Me and then quietly explained the problem. Sure some people would have overheard, and if the boy did understand English he might have been a little offended but so what?
I think it someone's truly ill at ease with a situation, they have the right to change it...but not if they're just being picky.
I think some people may argue that you are being over protective and/or prude.
I think as a parent, it's natural to be concerned.
I think while, yes, Americans are less comfortable with other people being that close, that you should suddenly have to "deal with it" because you're around someone who may not uncomfortable with that.
I think it's not something worth dwelling over, it happened, and lesson learned.

As a single rider, I would not assume to sit alone. I would assume I would be put with a stranger to fill out a row and get more people on the ride. :confused3 Sometimes, due to logistics, my DD needs to ride along. I always ask before I put her in a row or ride with someone else.

I would have sat next to someone else too if I were by myself. He might have felt more comfortable sitting with kids closer to his own age. If I had a problem, I would have asked him to move or called over a CM and asked him to sit next to me rather then the kids.

Thats definetly wierd. You should have told him to get his butt up . Im a single mom so when I go toDisney my dd has to ride alone and she's like 5 so if some random guy sat next to her i'd definetly cause a scene and make him get up. If it's a young person than that's fine but no grown man is gonna be sitting next to my dd ! She LOVES Splash Mountain and likes to ride it over and over again and because were a party of three I always have her sit in front of us . On one occasion a cm sat a man next to dd. He was in his 20's and didn't look creepy so I didn't say anything . I was also sitting in back of them so I know he wouldn't have been bold enough to try anything cause I would've knocked his head clear off his shoulders .

Ok, when I last looked a 'tween' was 12 and under. How old was this boy? I just wonder because the poor guy probably felt more comfortable sitting with people nearer his own age rather than a grown-up and now the words 'weird' and 'perv' are being thrown around.

I am betting the little dweeb simply wanted to be in the last row and he took it upon himself to maneuver there. Thunder is 2 people to a seat unless a family wants to squish together. He wasnt a 5 yr old..so he needed to go sit elsewhere or wait his turn

You don't have time to just call a CM over to help before the coaster train or safari truck is dispatched on its way. So you have to yell and make a scene, or just put up with it.

When getting in, the last person should sit close to the entrance or jump in point so it is harder for a stranger to jump in.

Thats definetly wierd. You should have told him to get his butt up . Im a single mom so when I go toDisney my dd has to ride alone and she's like 5 so if some random guy sat next to her i'd definetly cause a scene and make him get up. If it's a young person than that's fine but no grown man is gonna be sitting next to my dd ! She LOVES Splash Mountain and likes to ride it over and over again and because were a party of three I always have her sit in front of us . On one occasion a cm sat a man next to dd. He was in his 20's and didn't look creepy so I didn't say anything . I was also sitting in back of them so I know he wouldn't have been bold enough to try anything cause I would've knocked his head clear off his shoulders .

You said single mom and then only mentioned yourself and your DD. Who is the third in this scenario? Is it another child or you and another adult? Either way, if it is another child...the two children sit together with you behind them and if it is you and another adult...your DD sits with you and the other adult sits in front or in back of you. Problem solved and you can then stop speculating that everyone else in the park is some kind of pervert. Geez!

Ok, I'm not a crazy person. Obviously I'm fine with sharing seats on TT or POTC or the monorail or a bench on Main Street. The point is NOT that someone else might accidentally brush my arm if they're sitting by me.

I will not apologize for expressing discomfort about being a single woman in a HM car (so basically alone in the dark for several minutes) with a man I don't know, just so the line is quicker for those of you who travel in packs divisible by two. I'm in the habit of not putting myself in iffy situations & that doesn't go away just because I'm in a theme park and I logically know that its not likely that something bad will happen.

That's all I was saying. I was responding to the specific poster who seemed to think that solo riders should somehow mill around in lines until they can echo-locate each other and pair up so families are not inconvenienced by our rows not leaving at maximum capacity.

Haha! I don't know what else to call them. I've had a few experiences like this over the years. It's really not a HUGE deal, so don't flame too hard... it's just conversation....

My 2 oldest girls (8,9) and I were going on BTMR and we got the last 2 rows on the train. It was late in the day and there was practically no line. My daughters always sit together, and I'm by myself. They get in the very last row, and I'm right in front of them. After I sat down and pulled down the lap bar I turn around with a smile about to make a comment or joke or what have you, and there is some bonehead sitting with them! Yea, so there's my 2 daughters and a tween boy (3 altogether) in the back row, and I'm by myself.

Now, I would have not been pleased if he were to sit next to me, but it would make more sense than sitting in a row with 2 people in it already? Like, what the hell?

I would have asked him to move but I do understand that sometimes people are not to sharp.....I would NOT want anyone sitting with my 2 sons....

LockShockBarrel said:
The most dangerous words on the Internet "I think.."
Too bad, I'm going to use them again :teeth:. I think the posters in this thread never or rarely use crowded public transit, such as subways or really popular bus routes during rush hour. If y'all did, being hip- and shoulder-checked periodically by a stranger during the few minutes on a thrill ride would be no big deal.

I had that happen to me on Buzz Lightyear. I was a little miffed at first but the kid just wanted to sit with someone. I made the best of it and rode it again later ;) Perhaps we are all a little too comfy being on the internet and not interacting with people. I'd like to think I'm socialized enough to make it through a five minute Disney World ride with a stranger.

I'm solo at the parks almost every time. The cast member will always place me in my own row alone, unless it is one of the few rides that fill in empty spots with single riders. If a stranger has hopped into the seat with you at a ride that does not have a single rider line, then the other guest has probably made a mistake.

To be honest I kind of take exception to the idea that, as a single woman, I should be ready & willing to be assigned to a ride car with a strange man under conditions that could have us pressed up against each other or out of sight of others in the dark for minutes on end, just for the convenience of other people in line so that they can move through more quickly. I'm not buying into that particular "take one for the team" line of thinking.

If my car doesn't pull out of the loading area at maximum capacity, so be it. Disney would never ask me to double up with a stranger unless I've volunteered by going through a single rider line.

Gosh, I wonder how many people I offended during my (mostly solo) trip in October? I was touring the parks alone for a week. Practically every ride I ended up sitting with someone. I'd smile, ask if I can sit with you, and plop myself down.

I met the best families that way. Shared a car on Pooh. Shared a car on Expedition Everest. (The gentleman said he was grateful I was there, because it was his first ride - he was really sweet!) Shared on practically everything, to the point that I thought it was a little strange and lonely the few times the CM stuck me in my own car (Haunted Mansion). I'd have rather shared.

Mostly people were chatty and friendly so I like to think I wasn't bothering anyone.

I do agree the young man on BTMRR was likely confused. I mean, I know those are 2 passenger cars, but maybe it was his first ride. No harm would've been done asking the CM to stop and unload him, but c'est la vie.

Ok lets see if I follow this. The kid saw free space in the seat. Kid sat in seat. Kid according to Ops speculation likely did not speak english and did not totally understand what he was supposed to do. No one knows if the kid was with a group and he was the unfortunate odd number that not only had to ride in seperate seat but perhaps even seperate car. Perhaps kid needed to meet his family and was barely squeezing the clock to be able to ride this attraction. In the end from what the OP said this Kid did not act in any inappropriate fashion to the Ops daughters. Ride ended and everyone went their own way.

....And yet there have been thoughts that the person was a perv or evil doer.... what ever happened to looking for the good in people rather than jumping to extreme conclusions?

Also have you considered that this person could have been from Brazil or another non-USA culture where their actions were entirely appropriate?

halfempty.jpg

Gosh, I wonder how many people I offended during my (mostly solo) trip in October? I was touring the parks alone for a week. Practically every ride I ended up sitting with someone. I'd smile, ask if I can sit with you, and plop myself down.

I met the best families that way. Shared a car on Pooh. Shared a car on Expedition Everest. (The gentleman said he was grateful I was there, because it was his first ride - he was really sweet!) Shared on practically everything, to the point that I thought it was a little strange and lonely the few times the CM stuck me in my own car (Haunted Mansion). I'd have rather shared.

Mostly people were chatty and friendly so I like to think I wasn't bothering anyone.

I do agree the young man on BTMRR was likely confused. I mean, I know those are 2 passenger cars, but maybe it was his first ride. No harm would've been done asking the CM to stop and unload him, but c'est la vie.

I sympathize with the PP's desire to sit alone if the CMs allow it. Perhaps she, like me, is a bit of an introvert in person and doesn't possess the outgoing bubbly personality that you seem to. I mean this in all seriousness, by the way.

I give you props for asking the other party if it was okay, but if they're anything like me, they might've made the snap decision to say "yes"--but more out of a desire to not appear rude rather than an actual desire to share. Some of us are just made that way. ;) :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter