Bonehead Kitchen Mishaps

First, you must post the recipe, please!!!

I'm generally a forgetter. Forgot I made chicken broth and find it on the stove in the morning. Forgot to turn off the grill. Generally, I have mishaps, but I don't remember too many of them. :rotfl:

I have another good one. I had a Glade oil candle burning on the counter in the kitchen. I was downstairs doing school work on the computer. DD comes in the house, washes her hands, gets a paper towel and sets the roll down next to the candle.

I had told her not to bother me "unless the house was on fire". Well, guess what...that roll of towels went up in flames and she comes down the stairs screaming "THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE". I ran upstairs and went at it with the spray nozzle from the sink. The only thing permanently damaged was the paper towel holder, but I don't use those Glade oil candles anymore!

Going to bake cookies. Go to open a new box of wax paper. Put finger under lid to slide across to open. Did not realize saggy cutter pat was on the outside lid of box. Slit my finger open to the bone. Go to hospital to get 6 stitches while doctor says you really did that by opening box of wax paper. Result emergency room bill, daughter crying mommy please don't die, no moe baked cookies at are household. :confused3

I have 2 that really stick out to me.

I was hand washing dishes one night Dishwasher broke down) and I found a stray glass from the living room. I was annoyed anyway for having to hand wash the dishes and i stuck me hand in this class with a dish rag and strated to swirl my hand to get the bottom. Wall the glass broke just as I started swirling and sliced a HUGE chunk of the top of my hand by my thumb.:scared: My husbands calm reaction "get in the car" off to the ER we go. 9 stiches later and an ER bill and a nasty scar is what I got out of that. Needless to say my DH called the repair man the next day. LOL

When my middle son was approx 3 yro or so I was in the kitchen cooking supper. This is the child that has to challenge everything I say. Still does. Anyway I took the spaghetti noodles off the stove to drain. Josh was in there with me and I told him Do not touch the stove. It's hot I wasn't even to the sink yet with the noodles and he goes over and lays his hand right on the burner. OMG!:scared1: Poor kid had the rings of the electric stove seared on his palm. Off to the ER we go. The whole time I'm on my way I was scared to death they would think I did this to him. Luckily for me he was a talker and told EVERYONE that he did it and mommy told him not to. Thank goodness.:headache:

Last July, on a really warm day, I came home from work. The house smelled really bad. Emptied in the trash upstairs and down. Ran the garbage disposal. Checked the dishwasher. Checked for cat 'accidents.' Then, checked the refrigerator. Found my box of breakfast cereal on the top shelf of the fridge. Yep, that gave it away.
Found the milk in the pantry where the cereal should have been ... it had been there all day!

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

I was frying a hotdog in a pan and I did what everyone tells you not to do-I left the pan unattended. It was only for about five minutes, but by the time I got back it was flaming. So, I remembered not to put water on it and I remembered to pick it up with a oven mitt--but here I am holding a burning pan with no idea what to do with it. Was going to put it in sink but was afraid the curtains might catch fire. Consequently, I did the only thing I could think of. I opened the front door and put the burning pan down on the front porch (which is cement). I can only imagine what people driving down the street thought as the saw a woman standing in front of her house watching a pan fire-lol.

One winter day I was cooking a very large pot of spaghetti while wearing a sweatshirt with dangling hood strings. I leaned down towards the pot to check if the pasta was cooked, tested it, yep, ready. While carrying the filled pot from the stove to the sink to drain, I smelled something burning. I was wondering how the heck I could have burned the pasta considering it was submerged in water, when I suddenly started feeling really warm. I looked down, and my sweatshirt was on fire! Apparently one of the sweatshirt strings must have dropped into the gas flame and ignited when I leaned over the pasta pot.

I put the fire out by squashing the large pot of hot pasta and water against my chest. Luckily it was a thick sweatshirt made of some kind of flame resistant material, so the outside only got a little singed. and the thickness prevented my chest from being burned by the pasta pot. The string was a goner though.

New kitchen rule: no shirt strings allowed!

My mom for some reason put a steak on a paper plate and put it in the oven..

I was making cookies, preheated the oven, and mixed the dough. I go to put the cookies in, open the oven..GIANT FIRE!
I scream, my dad jumps up from the living room, I can't figure out how to get the fire extinguisher off the hook, dad had pulled something in his leg from jumping up so fast, so we pour water onto it.

We now look in the oven before heating it and mom knows to stop putting stuff in the oven.

When my middle son was approx 3 yro or so I was in the kitchen cooking supper. This is the child that has to challenge everything I say. Still does. Anyway I took the spaghetti noodles off the stove to drain. Josh was in there with me and I told him Do not touch the stove. It's hot I wasn't even to the sink yet with the noodles and he goes over and lays his hand right on the burner. OMG!:scared1: Poor kid had the rings of the electric stove seared on his palm. Off to the ER we go. The whole time I'm on my way I was scared to death they would think I did this to him. Luckily for me he was a talker and told EVERYONE that he did it and mommy told him not to. Thank goodness.:headache:

My son did the exact thing at what possibly may be the exact same age. I didn't take him to the ER though - I made a call to the doctor emergency line and ended up getting numbing burn spray at the pharmacy.

I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one who had a child that did that!! Only difference is that I was not making spaghetti, but fajitas.

It was a horrible mommy moment.
:(

*Every* time I grate ginger I lose a thumbnail :sad2:

When my DD was an infant (she's 32 now!) I would keep a large soup pot on the stove where I would place the empty bottles as she finished them during the day. After supper when she was asleep, I would wash, sterilize and fill the bottles for the next day. My MIL was visiting and she could not figure out my stove - it was electric and she had gas and the little boxes with the circles indicating what burner confused her incredibly. She was a tea drinker and was going to make herself a cup. I told her which burner to turn on for the kettle. A few minutes, I could smell something burning and sure enough, she had turned on the burner under the pot with the plastic bottles. I had these adorable bottles - puppy, bear, cat shaped that were now a melted mess.

Worst of all, she never even offered to replace them.

Glad to know there are other klutzes out there...

Thanksgiving 2011. I had joined Weight Watchers and decided to host Thanksgiving for the first time so that I could control what was on the table. I'm horribly Type A, so I had a master list with recipes of everything I was making, what was already done, what time stuff needed to go in the oven, etc. Well, it paid off.

My DH ran to the store for some ice, my parents went for a walk around the block, and DH's family wasn't here yet. I decided to start on the skinny scalloped potatoes. I was using my mandoline on the potatoes. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my kitten walk into the kitchen and thought to myself "she's a booger. I'd better shoo her away before she trips me or something and I get hurt." I used my foot to move her away and when I brought it back down, I slipped in some water. My left (dominant) hand shot forward and cut a huge chunk out of my palm below the thumb. I was calling all over creation trying to find someone to take me to the ER since I was home alone. At the ER, they glued it closed and put probably 20 steri-strips on it. While we were at the ER, mine and DH's dads found my list and finished Thanksgiving dinner, so at least we got to eat real food that night.

I followed up with my doctor who was horrified at the repair. He said it should have been stitched and that I would probably need a skin graft. Well, thankfully I avoided that but I couldn't use my dominant hand for about 8 weeks, or take a shower alone for that time. Never again!

I've done something similar.

My BF was cutting cabbage on Friday or Saturday and cut her left thumb "to the bone". Now if anyone knew my BF, you would know that she is exaggerating somewhat. She had 4 stitches and then proceeds to say that she will need help teaching dance class this week because of her thumb. :confused: Don't know how a cut thumb will prevent her from teaching, but with her who knows.

I teach dance class every Monday night, the only time I've called in sick was when I had a horrible cold and couldn't talk.......

Going to bake cookies. Go to open a new box of wax paper. Put finger under lid to slide across to open. Did not realize saggy cutter pat was on the outside lid of box. Slit my finger open to the bone. Go to hospital to get 6 stitches while doctor says you really did that by opening box of wax paper. Result emergency room bill, daughter crying mommy please don't die, no moe baked cookies at are household. :confused3

OMG that really just skeeved me out big time......I have the shivers now. yikes!! :scared1:

I've had a few, most cutting myself with a knife, nothing major enough to need a visit to the ER tho. A friend of mine was making Thanksgiving dinner one year, we walked in their house just as she and her DH were leaving, we asked where they were going and they said ER, and pointed at the bloody towel on her hand, she had opened a can and left the lid attached just folded up, well the can was too close to the counter so it started to fall off, she grabbed for it and grabbed the can lid, sliced her hand open so she had to go get stitched back up. Needless to say we didn't eat whatever she had opened. LOL And needless to say I NEVER leave the can lid on my cans anymore, not after that. My DD24 cut her thumb to the bone with a knife, she was pitting an avocado and was doing it the "wrong" way and the knife slipped, she doesn't do that anymore either. lol
Oh, our crock pot randomly caught on fire, we have no idea how. It was sitting on the stove top (which was OFF) and the cord started burning, we put it out but it was still scary. My DD15 put a plastic plate on a hot burner on our stove top once as well, we have a glass stove top and it was a melted mess, that was not fun to clean! I just thought of one....I was making cookies, they called for melted oil so I melted the oil and then poured it into a plastic bowl.......LOL Luckily Mom forgave me for that one.

When I was a teenager I had a friend who's family had a deep fryer. They had THE BEST french fries. So I decide to try making some at home myself even though we didn't have a deep fryer. I put a large pot of oil on the burner and waited for it to - I don't know what, boil? get really hot somehow? - while non-chalantly talking to the friend on the corded phone across the room. After a while, she says "It's probably ready now, go ahead and throw the [frozen] fries in". I did, and whoa, flash fire! I grabbed the flaming pan, threw it in the sink, and turned the water on. All I remember is it being something like the Wizard of Oz ("Man Behind the Curtain" fire): The whole area - double sink, double window, shelving and curtains - went up. :scared1: But what went through my mind wasn't, "call the Fire Dept before the whole house goes up"; it was "Shoot, my parents are going to kill me". :rolleyes1 Thankfully somehow it fizzled out but the nylon curtains were melted like sticks and there was fire damage to the wood and ceiling. That was the first and last time I ever deep fried anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of that corded phone, I used to sit at or on the kitchen table talking to my friends on it. One day while sitting there, I had a key in my hand and, without really thinking, stuck it in the electrical outlet next to the table. That hurt. :laughing:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thought I was done but thought of another that happened just recently.

DD14 made herself a fried egg sandwich one morning. I was happy she'd cleaned up her mess and washed the pan, etc, didn't notice anything else out of place. We went out for several hours, and when we came back I saw the gas burner to the stove had been left on all day. She saw it and started to cry, she felt badly and is afraid of fire. Hopefully lesson learned. (My mother once went away for the weekend and came home to find her electric dryer had been on the whole time, clothes in tatters but thankfully no fire.)

This just happened to me last weekend. I was making meringue cookies in my KitchenAid mixer. I lifted the mixer arm up since it was done then got sidetracked by my daughter and for some reason I turned the mixer on! If you have ever made meringue cookies you know the batter is STICKY! It's all egg whites and sugar. It got everywhere, it my eyes, my hair, the floor, the cabinets, the counters, the fridge, everywhere. I got it all cleaned up then went and sat in the living room. When I got up there was meringue all over my couch! I didn't realize that it was also on the back of my leg, I have no idea how. As I walked to the kitchen to get something to clean it I saw little footprints of meringue on my carpet. The cat stepped in it! What a mess.

Here's one more for you. We were in the process of remodeling the kitchen so a lot of my things were packed up. I made some pasta but I didn't have a strainer so when I had to test a piece to see if it was done I took it out of the pan with a spoon and put it into the cover of the pan then ran it under cold water so I could taste it. Well, the cover was glass. It actually exploded. Glass everywhere! That was a couple of months ago and I'm still finding pieces of glass every now and then.

lets see what haven't i done.... :rolleyes1

I made cookies a while ago, and pulled the sheet out of the oven. My father came home right when i was doing this, startling me, and i dropped the whole sheet onto my arm. No idea how i did it, but got a nice big nasty third degree burn that looked a lot like that simba drawing Rafiki did.....

I also got a third degree burn across my stomach when I accidentally tipped over a tea kettle of boiling water while i was leaning against a counter trying to grab something.

I turned my mixer on too high and sent brownie mix flying all over the kitchen....

and my roommates senior year of college almost set an empty pot on fire when they turned the wrong burner on for tea. I'm the only one who noticed the smoke.

I also set a bag of instant rice and another time microwave popcorn on fire....

Cut my finger very badly on an aluminum foil box... and i think thats it, so far...

so you are not alone. I'm the biggest klutz, and i haven't learned my lesson to stay out of the kitchen. I burn myself so much I don't even notice anymore.. its kinda sad.

I was frying a hotdog in a pan and I did what everyone tells you not to do-I left the pan unattended. It was only for about five minutes, but by the time I got back it was flaming. So, I remembered not to put water on it and I remembered to pick it up with a oven mitt--but here I am holding a burning pan with no idea what to do with it. Was going to put it in sink but was afraid the curtains might catch fire. Consequently, I did the only thing I could think of. I opened the front door and put the burning pan down on the front porch (which is cement). I can only imagine what people driving down the street thought as the saw a woman standing in front of her house watching a pan fire-lol.

I know it doesn't help much now but if you should ever have something catch fire in the future putting a lid on the pot will put out the fire.

First, you must post the recipe, please!!!

I'm generally a forgetter. Forgot I made chicken broth and find it on the stove in the morning. Forgot to turn off the grill. Generally, I have mishaps, but I don't remember too many of them. :rotfl:

Here's the recipe! It is a winner. :thumbsup2 My sister who doesn't even like Ranch dressing likes this. :) And I have served this for many of kids and they gobbled it up. LMK what you think if you try it!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rosemary-Ranch-Chicken-Kabobs/Detail.aspx

I altered it a little: I only use 1/3 cup of olive oil to 1/2 cup of Ranch.
I half the salt and only add a pinch of sugar.

(FYI, the marinade is an odd color but please don't let that deter you.)

Also, I usually reserve a cup of the marinade for use afterwards. I serve the chicken over rice, and the marinade is delicious over it.

My veggie of choice is with this is sauteed green beans.

I love this meal. Enjoy!!

Wowee! Tons o' fun in the kitchen I see. :rolleyes: $38,000 in damage for frying foods, numerous fires, melted plastic, grill left on for a weekend, sliced fingers & hands, glass shards/eggs/brownie mix/meringue still being discovered . . . OH MY!! :eek:

But the one that just broke my heart...

I put too much salt in the potatoes once.

:laughing: Smart ***.... :laughing: Just be careful now -- if I were you I'd be knocking on wood everytime I entered the kitchen from here on out! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter