Bone Island Shuttle in Key West?

UMTerp

DIS Veteran
Has anyone recently used the Bone Island Shuttle to get around in Key West? How was the wait for the shuttle? Were you able to get on the first shuttle or did you have to wait for another one? That type of thing. I was planning to give it a try on our next trip on 4/9.

TIA!

UMTerp

We were on the 2/11/06 Western and we had planned to use the Bone Island Shuttle to get around. Unfortunately we discovered that as of three days prior to our arrival they had changed their services and were only going to be providing private group charters. It's too bad as it seemed like a really nice way for individuals to get around town without having to rent a cart or use the trolley.

Thank you so much Mary! I was afraid it might be something like that!
I guess we'll have to figure out something else. It helps to know ahead of time!

Thanks again!

UMTerp

My son and his friends just got back from a week in Key West this week and they said they used the Bone Island Shuttle all week with no problem. They obviously were not a chartered group....but were able to use the shuttle.

The shuttle is worth going on. Go on the Key West web site .It should tell you everything. :sail: :ccat:

I was having trouble with their web site so that's why I posted my question. Interesting. I guess I'll just have to wait and see once we get there.

Thank you so much for all of the information!

UMTerp

The website is still not working. Anyone know if they are still operating?

Is there a phone number to call for more information? If there is, please post it and I'll call!

That's a good idea. I'm at work and can't call but one number I found online is
(305) 293-8710

Thanks!

UMTerp

Well, I called and got some less-than-good news.

The Bone Island Shuttle no longer offers the $8 all day fare. They now only offer 2 stops, the Welcome Center and Mallory Square (which is close to the pier). The tickets are $8 round trip, but can only be purchased at the Welcome Center, which is no where near the pier. In the words of the woman at Bone Island, "Our service won't be of any use for those coming in on the cruise ships."

DRAT.

Oh My! Thank you so much Enna! I was planning to use them to get to the Southernmost point a week from Sunday! I guess we'll have to play it by ear to see if it will be too hot for the long walk. I really appreciate you making the call and checking it out for all of us!

Have a great day!

UMTerp

Thanks for checking on this! We had hoped to use them on our upcoming cruise, but now I guess it's back to the trolley!

I think the trolley might be better anyways. The stops seem to be more oriented to day tourists rather than the more hotel-based stops on the Bone Island. Plus, if the trolley is anything like the trolleys the same company runs in DC, the narration is usually fun and interesting.

5 more weeks to go!!! :cool1:

Wanted to add that I asked Bone Island if the cruiseline people could mail-order tickets to get on the trolly at the stop near the pier. I was given an absolute no, and expressed my disappointment that a service which has been such a benefit to the cruise tourists is no longer available.

You are all welcome to the info. My DH insists on having the unlimited long distance plan, and I like to make use of it. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter