Boma

Jennifer124

Mouseketeer
I just booked a spur-of-the-moment reservation at Boma because what we had planned (T-Rex) wasn't available. I don't know anything about it - I just grabbed it b/c the time I wanted was available, and we are going to be at Animal Kingdom that day anyway. Anybody have any thoughts? I see where Passporter readers give it a 9.

It is by far my favorite Buffet. There are flavors for every taste in food and you get to sample many ethnic dishes. You can't go wrong.

If you get there near dusk you can go outside and get nightvision goggles to view the animals with. It is amazing.

I've been there a couple of times over the years. There is definitely a reason people keep going back. You can try new dishes as well as traditional buffet foods. I especially love the salads and desserts.
The atmosphere of the Animal Kingdom Lodge is incredible also, so it is great to walk around before or after dinner. Plus as said before, you can go and watch the animals at night.

Enjoy!

Boma is one our favorite buffets!! Every time we go to Disney World we always make sure we get a reservation there. Love all the different salads, different variety of side to go with the meat dishes. I give it a 10..and Make sure you try the watermelon rind salad it really yummy. Enjoy!!

we are going to be at Animal Kingdom that day anyway. Anybody have any thoughts? I see where Passporter readers give it a 9.

just to be clear, Boma is at animal Kingdom Lodge and not Animal Kingdom park. and the two don't connect. You'll have to take transportation.

but it is a really good restaurant, and a great resort to see.

Another vote for Boma - one of our greatest must - dos :thumbsup2

It's just a very short bus ride from AK to the AKL. We go there tomorrow night.

Agree....great Buffet......especially if you like to try new things...

It a great way to see the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Get there a little early or walk around after dinner. You can go outside and see the animals.

If you are staying on property just take a bus from any park to the AKL.:thumbsup2

I don't think I can express in words how much I would recommend Boma over T-Rex. There is no comparison in my book - food or atmosphere.

Have a great time!

Our Ratings of Boma - Dinner: (rev 3/23/2013)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: A
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: D
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Boma's an outstanding buffet for breakfast. For dinner it's below
average and worth passing by. African and Middle Eastern foods are
typically spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cardamom, etc, which
can make food appear sweet to the taste buds. If doing dinner, go for
the soups. There are fifteen different soups at five per night. Leave the
meats, salads, the desserts - except for the Zebra Domes - for others.
FYI: bring the ear plugs, as it does get REALLY noisy; we think AKL was
a good location, as it sounds like a herd of elephants coming throuh.

Boma is the only buffet we'll do (subject to change when grandchildren are old enough to go to character buffets).

We really enjoy it, I'm a foodie, the rest of my group are picky eaters but everyone leaves happy. I know soup doesn't sound like the most enticing thing, but as Rusty says, the soups are probably the highlight. If all else fails, we're talking AYCE desserts. What's not to like?:earsboy:

TheRustyScupper said:
Our Ratings of Boma - Dinner: (rev 3/23/2013)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: A
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: D
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Boma's an outstanding buffet for breakfast. For dinner it's below
average and worth passing by. African and Middle Eastern foods are
typically spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cardamom, etc, which
can make food appear sweet to the taste buds. If doing dinner, go for
the soups. There are fifteen different soups at five per night. Leave the
meats, salads, the desserts - except for the Zebra Domes - for others.
FYI: bring the ear plugs, as it does get REALLY noisy; we think AKL was
a good location, as it sounds like a herd of elephants coming throuh.

You gave Boma a "C" for food selection??? Bwa ha ha!!! I thought this was a serious post until I read that!

Hubby and i think Boma is a CANT MISS. My parents did not like it at all, and prefer more traditional fare. Depends on your taste i guess!

TheRustyScuppers review is one opinion. While I agree that some main dishes lean towards a sweet taste there are plenty that don't. If you don't like exotic flavors then maybe it is not for you. You should stick with bland tasting food. Otherwise Boma is one of the best buffets at WDW with food flavor and variety.

Did you try calling T-Rex directly?
You can probably get in by doing that.

My DH and I really enjoyed Boma, but my more traditional American food loving ILs preferred T-Rex. No one went hungry at Boma but it is a pricey meal if an adult is going to eat mostly the kiddie items and dessert (and yes my FIL found the meat flavor off putting). Boma was still okay because we were staying at AKL and on the dining plan. If we had paid OOP or gone out of our way, FIL probably would have complained.

I disagree with previous posters. On our trip in Nov 2011, we ate at Boma, (party of two, walk in, seated immediately). Now, granted my BF and I are closet "foodies" and the buffet option allowed us to indulge our tastebuds. We still talk about how wonderful the food was to anyone who will listen. It was a little more costly than some of our dining choices at WDW but I would never give the food anything less than a grade of B. Do try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

PS...We are originally from MN where Ketchup is considered a little too spicy. We have learned in our adult lives to give spice a chance and now attempt to re-create dishes we love from all over the world with reasonable success.

We also learned on our trip that a party of two can be accommodated easily without a reservation. Since we didn't make any. That was great.

I REALLY appreciate all this great feedback. We are on the dining plan so I am not worried about the cost. Since AK closes at 5 & our AKL dinner res is not til 6:30, I look forward to checking out the place & hopefully seeing some animals. Thanks everybody!

Boma is an excellent choice - fabulous food of all kinds, including a ton of choices for picky eaters! And looking around the AKL is nice too :)

We really like Boma! We go pretty much every trip and have found a great selection of food each time. If you really wanted T-Rex though, I would call the restaurant directly if no times show up that you really wanted.

I REALLY appreciate all this great feedback. We are on the dining plan so I am not worried about the cost. Since AK closes at 5 & our AKL dinner res is not til 6:30, I look forward to checking out the place & hopefully seeing some animals. Thanks everybody!

Sounds like a perfect plan! Boma is the one-and-only "must have" dining experience for DH and I!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter