Boma vs. Jiko ..... Recommendation?

bianca

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for recommendations in choosing between Boma and Jiko for our upcoming trip. The menus seem sort of similar, and with the exception of the "buffet vs. sit-down" thing, we are having a hard time deciding which one to try. Any pluses or minuses? Our tastes tend to lean toward quiet dining though, so we'd like input about the activity level/noise of the individual restaurants. Any thoughts?

jiko is one of our favorites! as you said, it is a quiet leisurely dining experience. we have not had dinner at boma, only breakfast. i would return to jiko in a minute. the times when we were at jiko, it was busy in boma. not neccessarily noisy, just busy. :earboy2: :wave:

Hmmmm...this is difficult for me, as I am crazy about BOTH of these restaurants. It really does boil down to whether you want a fine dining experience of casual. I am leaning towards suggesting Boma, because the food is SO UNIQUE at both places, and at Boma you can have small tastes of EVERYTHING, where as at Jiko you will order off the menu, so you may have to "play it safe" and order what you are sure you will like.

Boma is busy...more hustle and bustle around you. Jiko is quiet, intimate...*sigh* you really have me missing the AKL right now! :( Don't forget to start your evening with a cocktail at Victoria Falls...the AKL lounge!

We LOVE AKL and we LOVE Jiko. Wonderful feel to the whole place, and the food is top of the line. You won't be disappointed here. Beatiful, quiet environment.

Boma is not for us, because of the noise level (very loud, open space, people milling around everywhere). The food is on the buffet, and sometimes not that appetizing. Boma's desserts, however, are super! But we won't be going back.

Great points already made here, you can't go wrong with either one. They are both on our "must every trip" list!!! But, if I could only choose one of them, I would have to say Jiko... :goodvibes

wildernesslodgelover said:
Hmmmm...this is difficult for me, as I am crazy about BOTH of these restaurants. It really does boil down to whether you want a fine dining experience of casual. I am leaning towards suggesting Boma, because the food is SO UNIQUE at both places, and at Boma you can have small tastes of EVERYTHING, where as at Jiko you will order off the menu, so you may have to "play it safe" and order what you are sure you will like.

Boma is busy...more hustle and bustle around you. Jiko is quiet, intimate...*sigh* you really have me missing the AKL right now! :( Don't forget to start your evening with a cocktail at Victoria Falls...the AKL lounge!

Bingo, my thoughts exactly.

Also, I don't think the menus are all that similar. I find the food at Boma quite a bit more on the unique side than Jiko. (Unique good, not unique bad). Jiko is more african-inspired than traditional African and is a true "fine dining" type of experience.

Solotraveler :earsboy:

We love Boma and Jiko. But for a quieter, more relaxing meal, I would suggest Jiko. You won't be disappointed.

I love Jiko and like Boma a lot.

If you have young kids, I would probably recommend Boma because there is also American fare on the buffet (chicken tenders, etc). The kids typically like having a chance to sample the other foods but can stay with their staples.

Jiko is just plain yummy. DH and I really love the food served there. It's only downside is the price in my opinion :)h

They had a kids menu at Jiko too - my son ordered pizza and refused to even try anything else - while my daughter was more interested in our food than hers :sunny:

Wow! You all did a great job of giving me what I needed for input. The decision is made ..... Jiko. Although I like the idea of "sampling" more at Boma, the family (DH, Myself, 17 and 15 yoD's) does prefer the quieter "sit-down" experience. I appreciate the suggestion about Victoria Falls ..... that is a "must-do" now! The worst part now is waiting until Nov. 8. Thanks for the help! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter