Boma, Spoodles, Le Cellier & More... OOP & DDP UPDATE 7/21 w/Chefs De France

Great reviews. I was reluctantly doing Biergarten for DD and DH this fall but your review actually has me looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the review, Boma sounds great:goodvibes lokking forward to more:thumbsup2

I can't say enough good things about Boma! It's always been our favorite for not only the food but the atmosphere. AKL is also our favorite resort too!

Fantastic review!! Looking forward to more!
More coming...

I too enjoyed Boma's but all I had was a cranky family! (Some days I threaten to change our last name to the bickersons).

You have me rethinking my capemaycafe ressies.... :(

Some people do enjoy it.. we didn't though. DD isn't even interested in giving it another try in the future either.

Pools are so important to us on vacation.
Yes they are! We take long vacations and we do spend a lot of time at the resorts. BC's Storm-a-long bay is WONDERFUL! We spent loads of time in the lazy river part.. and had fun with their pool-side bingo and beach party! They also had campfires and made smoores on the beach.. and had movies on the beach too. I hope to go back there someday!

Thanks for the great Reviews. I have to agree with you about Boma. It is the only buffet that we really look forward to on each trip.
:thumbsup2

OK, officially getting nervous about Cape May Cafe. I have my ADR set in august for this. I am the only one in my family who really likes seafood. DD loves thes character meals, DH loves meat and potatoes. This was the only place for me in 6 days of Disney. Reviews are not looking too good...:confused3

Love your reviews and thankyou for taking the time !
:goodvibes

That's why we didn't book there originally. But since we were at the resort... and we certainly don't always agree with other people, I figured we'd try it. I'm glad we did.. so we know not to go out of our way to try it some other time..lol.

Enjoying your reviews - can't wait for more!
Thank you!

Thanks for sharing your great reviews!
More to come...

Great reviews! We are going to Boma's the first time in Dec. I can't wait.
Get there a little early so you can explore the resort.. It's wonderful!

Enjoyed the reviews. Too bad about Coral Reef--out of control kids seem more common at restaurants these days.
Don't get me started on this..lol. Even my dd will look at other kids and say.. what's with them?! How come their parents don't stop them..
:headache:

Thanks for the reviews, I really enjoyed reading them. We are going to Boma for the first time in September for my OH's birthday so I was really pleased to read great reviews.
Make sure he wears his Bday button! Let them know it's his bday too.. ya never know!

Thanks for the review on BOMA ....we are going to try it this trip. I am getting very excited about trying this new place. Thanks! :)
Like above.. get there early to see the rest of the resort!

Great reviews and pictures!:thumbsup2
Thanks!

Thanks for sharing:thumbsup2
You're welcome:)

Great reviews. I was reluctantly doing Biergarten for DD and DH this fall but your review actually has me looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing.
I found enough food I liked for me.. even though I'm not into the sausage, brat, kraut thing..lol. It's a fun place! If you have a small family, know you'll be seated with others. Hopefully you'll be as lucky as we have been and you'll meet some fun new people!
And.. get up and dance! Or get your DH to dance.. and YOU take pictures..lol.

I'm glad my reviews are helpful :) I'll be more than happy to eat anywhere at Disney in order to help people!! (or any reason at all)

Ohana
We only had to wait maybe 5 minutes to be seated. I was surprised because it was packed! The woman in front of me was asking how long the wait was, and they told her they weren't taking any more names for waiting. She was very disappointed and said she was willing to wait a long time, but they wouldn't take her name. So to be seated in only 5 minutes was great.
I requested the grill room and got a very nice table. Easy to look out the window towards MK, and easy to watch the fun around the room.

Our server was cousin Debbie.. she was great even though you could see she was overwhelmed (as were the other servers!). Every table was filled. Every seat taken.
I chose to have a drink that night since I wasn't driving (we walked to Epcot, took the monorail to the Poly.. and we planned on the boat/monorail to MK and the bus back to the BC.) I tried the Sunken Treasure... it was very good! My daughter wanted the Lapu Lapu (virgin of course). It's mixed fruit juices served in a huge pineapple, and of course an umbrella. Debbie didn't wind up charging us for DDs drink. She said she gets a drink on the DP and it was non-alcoholic. I thought that was really nice of her. My dd loved this drink.. and wanted to save the pineapple. I let her keep it 1 day..lol (no way I was bringing an old soggy pineapple carcass on the plane with us!).
LapuLapuRZ.jpg

So the food brigade started.

First the fried wontons & salad. I dipped the wonton in the sauces, except for the peanut one. I don't like peanuts. They were wonton-like. Good, no surprises. DD liked them, no sauce.. of course! The salad was good. I like salads and this one has a very nice dressing.. I don't know what it is, a little citrus-y I think. DD didn't have any.. she's not usually a big fan of green, and then there's the sauce/dressing...
Veggies were green too, I enjoyed them, DD thought they looked pretty from a distance I guess.
The wings and shrimp came. I only had one wing because I couldn't stop eating the shrimp. They were very good! I liked the wings too.. but, did I mention shrimp! DD thought they were great too. We both almost finished the bowl (big bowl).
I liked the potatoes.. dd not so much. See she likes potatoes, and cheese.. just not together. Same with her burgers.. she'll order a cheeseburger (plain of course), then take the cheese off and eat it separate :rolleyes:
So back to the food! The sausage came first. I don't know what kind of sausage it was, it was nice flavour but I'm not big on sausages. DD loved the sausage and she probably ate more of that than anything else. Next the pork and turkey came. I liked the pork a lot, very good!.. I thought the turkey a little dry. Not bad though. Then the steak came. I was getting pretty full by now.. but the steak was very tasty! A bit pink in the inside, tender. I would have liked it more rare, but that's a preference most people don't share and it's made for the masses. But I was happy with it. DD tried a tiny bit of every meat, she stuck to the sausage & steak.
There was so much food!
OhanaFood.jpg

They tried to give us more with all that food still on the table..lol. I had to shoo cousin Debbie away before they had to roll us out the door.

All the festivities were going on.. and my usually not too social daughter joins in on all of it! Coconut racing (they sweep the coconuts with a broom), hula dancing.. the limbo! It was a lot of fun. I love how Disney brings out the child in my child :)
OhanaLoapa.jpg

The chaos of the activities is nice when it's organized and it's at short periods at a time. You can still have nice semi-quiet, relaxing meal.

Almost forgot dessert... the bread pudding with the banana foster's sauce! YUMMY! This is sooo good! DD even loved the sauce! She ate most of it, but I made sure to get my share too :) Cousin Debbie came and asked if we wanted more. As good as it was it just wouldn't fit, so we sadly said no. Good thing she didn't just bring more to the table... I think I woulda tried!

We had a wonderful time. Good meal. We'll be back again next trip!

2 TS Credits
Bill Total $60.23

$6 extra tip

Garden Grill
This wasn't one of my original ADRs. I never had a strong desire to come here. We were in Epcot and I needed to use some TS credits, I called to see what was available for lunch NOW. I could have done Chefs de France, but we had an ADR for the next day, Coral Reef we had already been to. It was good enough but I wanted to do something different, so did DD. There were a couple of others, but we had already done, or had no desire to do them. So, we decided to try Garden Grill.
Our ADR was for 20 minutes away.. so we started over.
There were many people waiting so I thought that was a good sign. After about 15 minutes (only 5 minutes passed our ADR time) we were seated. For people who haven't been here, the restaurant rotates and you are able to see The Land attraction at one point. Well we did know this and it's why we choose it. What we didn't know was how incredibly SLOWLY it rotates! We didn't even realize it was moving at all at first. We were seated at the opposite end of the side that sees The Land, facing an unattractive wall. Then we were facing the pavilion for a while... a long while. We purposely ate VERY slowly so we could see The Land, and it wasn't easy taking our time...

So, to the food and review.
Our server was Sean. Sean came and took our drink orders.. he never explained the menu, which is customary for family style platter restaurants such as Ohanas and Whispering Canyon. After getting us our drinks he quickly left and came back shortly with our food. He put the food down and left.

My food: biscuits with Honey-Orange Blossom Butter. 2 small biscuits.. the butter tasted like normal butter.. I didn't notice a honey orange flavor. I ate half a biscuit, they were nothing special. Steak with Mushroom Cabernet au Jus. This was very tasty.. my dd took a little taste but just thought it was ok. Turkey with Cranberry Relish- we both liked this. Fried Catfish - Terrible! It was served in a bowl, just 2 pieces of fish, no attempt to even make it look appetizing, and it just tasted bad! Potato Casserole - this was pretty good too. It had cheese in it, dd didn't like them.
Let me say these are the smallest portions I've been served at Disney.. ever! There were 2 tiny slices of the steak, and one piece of turkey, also small. I didn't mind since this was a family platter and I could get more of anything, right?

DDs food: Chicken Strips. Macaroni and Cheese. French Fries. Vegetables. She ate it all except the fries. There were 2 small strips of chicken, about 3 tablespoons of mac&cheese, and 3 whole baby carrots.. yes, 3. But hey, we can get more right?

We nursed what we had and were waiting for our server to come back to ask for more... the restaurant was slllloooowwllly going round. Where was The Land! Where was our server??
I ate the other half of biscuit.. I was hungry.
During the meal dd had to use the bathroom.. outside the restaurant. This was the time we were facing the entryway so I let her go.. standing every so often so I could see the bathroom. Chip came to the table meanwhile so she missed him, but I saw her coming back and asked him to wait.. but he didn't. Ok, so she'd miss Chip. Just as she made it back to the table Dale came. I got some good pictures. A few minutes later a woman came and asked if we saw all of the Characters, I explained how dd missed Chip when she was in the rest room. Before I could say anything else she left, then Chip came right to the table. Good, more pics. The lady came back and asked if he came, I said yes, thank you.. we just need to see Mickey and Pluto. Well she looked angry. She said "you said you only missed Chip!"... whew.. calm down lady! I nicely explained how she left before I could say anything.. and she abruptly left again. Shortly after Mickey and Pluto came. The characters where fun.. Pluto danced with dd. I forgot about grumpy lady... but I was ready to send a search party out for our server!! Oh here he comes.. WITH DESSERT!??

If this post seems long, that's because we were there forever!! We're waiting for the darn place to turn.. waiting for characters.. waiting for the server. Geezz.. I asked dd if she wanted more food.. she said no. She wanted to go.. yea, me too. So we accepted dessert and the check, and I asked Sean for some coffee, which he repeated "coffee?"... I thought, yea coffee! Is that an unusual request? So off he went. My dessert was a puff pastry with berries. It was good.. but just good not great. Dds was a sundae.
So my coffee came. And I had my KTTW card out for the check. Sean seemed to have a good server twin that appeared at that moment. He was suddenly VERY accommodating, asking if I wanted more dessert.. asked if the coffee was good.. did I want more?... gave my dd a big smile. I just gave him a bit of a blank stare since the 1 1/2 hours we were there (really!) he barely said 2 words to us and I'm sure he would have thrown our food to us if I had a catcher's mitt on. I just said no thank you... and we got ready to go. He came back with the receipts again asking if everything was ok.. being very nice. I am never rude to servers, but I was borderline with this one. I pretty much dismissed him as he pretty much did to us. And we left. No extra tip for Sean, and if I was paying OOP I would have left a 15% tip.. which is my minimum for barely passable service. He was close to me asking for another server because it was like we didn't have one at all.
We did finally turn to see a bit of The Land.. but only about half of it.
Now.. what changed Sean's demeanor? The only thing I could think of is the gold color of my KTTW card because his attitude changed as soon as I took it out for the bill. I'm not sure what he thought would change by his 30 seconds of sudden kindness..

Summary... Food ok. Service TERRIBLE. Character interaction, very nice when they came. Character attendant.. YIKES! She scared me.

It's the first time we left a Disney meal thinking about where we would eat that night. Usually we're full and can't either fathom the thought of food.

Now this meal didn't ruin our day, but I can't help but thinking what a huge waste of an hour and a half that was, and a waste of TS credits.

At least we tried it, and know not to do it again!

2 TS Credits
Bill total $41.07

no extra tip

My dd just ordered the calamari at Spoodles it was awesome, very fresh, not tough, and very well done. Everyone at the table loved it.

We ate there July 6th

Thanks for the reports - I'm enjoying them!!!

I was about to change our Le Chef's ADR for Garden Grill, but I think I will stay as we are now!

My dd just ordered the calamari at Spoodles it was awesome, very fresh, not tough, and very well done. Everyone at the table loved it.

We ate there July 6th

We were there on June 17th.. not too long before you, ours was overdone :( we love Calamari.
It's easily done though, even 2 minutes makes a big difference.. I did enjoy the entree. Like I said we are willing to give this place another try.. just wasn't willing to this trip.
Now, Garden Grill. Because the food was just ok.. the service seriously lacking (that's only one server of course), but even the atmosphere wasn't what we'd thought.. we will not be giving that another try.

I know I mentioned that the person who brought our plates out was very nice at Spoodles.. well so were the hostess people (there were several).
We saw a couple of children with the glow cubes.. we were never told or offered them and my dd wanted one. We weren't sure if they were available there, or if those children (they were at the same table) brought them themselves from some place else. As I said our server never came back except to bring us the bill (he actually laid it on our table in passing!)...we didn't have the opportunity to ask him so I asked a hostess cm about them on the way out. She ran right back to get my dd one. She asked who my server was, and when I told her, it seemed to me like she expected to hear his name.

Now dessert... I had creme brulee at Le Chefs & Le Cellier also... NO contest. Spoodles lost. But it was ok.

I'm glad you enjoyed your meal there.. hopefully next time we both will too!

Thanks for the reports - I'm enjoying them!!!

I was about to change our Le Chef's ADR for Garden Grill, but I think I will stay as we are now!

Le Chef's will be my next review (and my last TS review)... Don't change it! We both loved it!

Enjoy:)

Great reviews! I'm disappointed to hear about Garden Grill. I was considering it for our next trip, but I've read several negative reviews lately.

You've definitely helped make up my mind about Boma. We HAVE to eat there next trip! Thanks again for the reviews!

Thank you for the great reviews! I have been thinking about cancelling our priority seating at Boma (picky family member) but now I am really looking forward to eating there.

Can't wait for Boma August 4th!

Sorry about Garden Grill. It is such a cool concept for a restaurant. They just need to do a food and service overhall. By the way what is a KTTW Card?

Thanks

Great reviews! I'm disappointed to hear about Garden Grill. I was considering it for our next trip, but I've read several negative reviews lately.

You've definitely helped make up my mind about Boma. We HAVE to eat there next trip! Thanks again for the reviews!

I'm sure you'll love Boma! The food there is really unique and good! And, if you're not adventerous, they have prime rib, potatoes, normal fare that would appeal to most anyone.
Have a great time

pixiedust:

Thank you for the great reviews! I have been thinking about cancelling our priority seating at Boma (picky family member) but now I am really looking forward to eating there.

Can't wait for Boma August 4th!

I can't wait to go back! I'm trying to get in a trip for Halloween time.. don't know if I can swing it, but if we do, Boma is the first place we'll eat.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Sorry about Garden Grill. It is such a cool concept for a restaurant. They just need to do a food and service overhall. By the way what is a KTTW Card?

Thanks

KTTW = Key To The World Card.
Basically it's your room key :) They call it KTTW because you can have charging privilages on it, and your park passes are on it too.. and of course you get into your room too. So, it's your key to the World.

Chefs De France

We got here just on time for our reservations and were seated right away.
Our server was Laetitia and was good.. but didn't seem too friendly.
Our order was taken and our appetizers were brought out in just minutes.
To start I ordered Assiette Campagnarde - rustic assortment of French pates, and charcuteries. I really enjoyed this! I like the meats, my dd just gave me an odd look when I wanted her to try them..lol. She really liked some of the pates though, she stole a couple from me. For an appetizer, it was enough for 2.
She got the cheese puff pastry (Friand au Fromage ), and didn't like it at all.. too busy eating mine! But I tried hers and found it not really very tasty.
For an entree I ordered Plat de Cote de boeuf au cabernet sur un lit de polenta -
beef short ribs briased in cabernet on a bed of polenta and baby carrots. Wow.. this dish was great! They give you a lot too! The beef was very tender, the polenta was wonderful and both were very flavourful with the cabernet from the beef. I MMMmmmed through the whole dish..what I could eat of it. I couldn't nearly finish and dd didn't have any. It had something that looked like "gravy" so she wouldn't try it of course.
DD ordered chicken strips with pasta which she loved. I tasted a piece of the chicken, it was very tender. Pasta is pasta to me, at least the way she eats it.. plain. But she liked it and that's what was important.
Dessert.. can you guess? I had Vanilla Crème Brule served with a Madeleine. Again.. very good. The madeleine was ok.. I tasted it and put it aside. The crème Brule was sooo good! And they practically give you a tureen full! It was a VERY generous serving.. enough for 2 I think.. but I ate it all. After being stuffed from dinner.. I ate all my dessert. Well, some things are just more important.
My dd had the sorbet, I think it was mango since I didn't try it (I'm allergic to mango). She loved it! Also a generous serving.. she really did like it but didn't finish it.

I was very happy with the food here.. I would definitely come back again!
The atmosphere is very nice. I love how you pass the desserts on the way over to the seating (at least our seating). It's such a pretty view outside and nice being able to see outside when you're at a TS restaurant.
The service was very prompt. Laetitia watched for when we needed the next course, or a refill. The food came out promptly and hot. The only thing is that she could have been more personable. She stayed on the side and talked with other servers until we needed something, or one of her other tables needed something. She gave a 'professional' smile..lol. No chit chat, no "enjoying your stay?", no "have you ever eaten here before".. but she was fast and did watch to be sure we had everything we needed. Can't complain about her service. She did get an extra tip besides what the DP gives her.

The bill total looked like she charged way too much for DD's food.. it had the exact same amount for my food - $38.85 each. But when I added what I had, and what dd had, my food came out to much higher.. dd's much lower, and the total was exactly the same. Can't figure that one out. It was the dp anyway so it was the same for me.

2 TS Credit
Total Bill was $77.77

Extra $5. tip

Getting excited about Chefs, we'll be trying it for the first time on our next trip!:banana:

Great reviews Thank you for sharing. I loved hearing about both of your Boma meals since we are trying it for the first time in September. We've got Spoodles, Le Cellier & Coral Reef in January.

I'm enjoying your dining report I'm glad you liked LeCellier I'm looking forward to eating there our first time. We enjoyed Cape May Cafe on our last trip in Sept 2005 so I hope it has'nt changed they did have very good food in our opinion then but the desserts were just ok, I did know the clams were small going in so I was'nt surprised but they were tasty at the time. I loved Bomas but DH wanted to try somewhere different this trip although he ate till he was ready to burst and then ate plenty of dessert he said he was'nt crazy about it :confused3 (could've fooled me). When you eat at Ohanas can you ask for more of something? My DS14 is picky and I know he's not going to eat all the things they bring over, so I was hoping he could get more of the food he does like. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks Linda

I'm enjoying your dining report I'm glad you liked LeCellier I'm looking forward to eating there our first time. We enjoyed Cape May Cafe on our last trip in Sept 2005 so I hope it has'nt changed they did have very good food in our opinion then but the desserts were just ok, I did know the clams were small going in so I was'nt surprised but they were tasty at the time. I loved Bomas but DH wanted to try somewhere different this trip although he ate till he was ready to burst and then ate plenty of dessert he said he was'nt crazy about it :confused3 (could've fooled me). When you eat at Ohanas can you ask for more of something? My DS14 is picky and I know he's not going to eat all the things they bring over, so I was hoping he could get more of the food he does like. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks Linda

Yes, you can get more of anything that you like. It's a family style "buffet". They come around continually with the different foods, and you just let them know if you would like more of something . Or, just ask your server you'd like more of something if it hasn't come around again yet. I know they offered my dd(9) chicken fingers or something else if she wanted.. but she liked the food they were serving fine and stuck to the couple of things she did like.

They have such a wide variety of food.. the wings, the peel and eat shrimp.. beef, pork, turkey, sausage... all pretty good! I'm sure he'll find something he'd like.

Hey.. maybe your DS will get up and hula?? Yes, I read that he's 14.hehe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter