• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boma questions

waffocopter

Mouseketeer
Hey, I have an ADR for Boma on our last full day of our trip in November. I would like to try new foods and heard good things about Boma so I'm happy with my choice but I'm kind of worried about my boyfriend, who's fairly picky. He'll eat veggies if they're seasoned enough so he can't taste them. He doesn't eat pork (unless it's bacon) or seafood. Do you think he'll still be able to be happy with the food there? Are there any more normal food that will fill him up?

And another question. If I go for dinner, can I still try the juice?

The beef and the chicken are very good and they have mac and cheese.

When we where there they had chocolate bread pudding pretty darn good (better then zebra domes)

Yes there will be plenty for him.They have carved meats, and he can get it without the sauce or have the sauce on the side. There are lots of veggies, as well as several soups and different kinds of starch (potatoes, rice, etc.).
Remember this is Disney, they cater to everyone.

You'll be ok. But if he's that picky, there will be a lot that he won't eat. It may not be worth the cost.

I say find a new boyfriend. :rotfl2:

Seriously, he should be fine. There are plenty of items there such as the carved meats and vegetables as others have suggested. Also, many a picky person do not have a problem with Boma; but then again, others do... Sorry that didn't help. LOL. Sure there are some different dishes there, but most of them are pretty tamed down.

The buffet at Boma is extensive enough that even eating half of it will be more than plenty of food. I could make an entire meal out of just the soups and salads.

One tip I always give to first-timers is that there isn't a single line that starts at the carving station. If you want food from a particular pod, just go to that pod. And my other critical tip - *small* portions the first time through, so you have room to try lots of stuff. If you really like something, you can always go back. (My typical meal at Boma has me going to the buffet probably six or seven times, if not more. There's no shortage of plates.)

Thanks, guys. I think I'll give it a try. How about the juice that I hear is served at Ohana, Boma and Tusker House breakfast? I don't see it on the menu but can I request it?

You'll be ok. But if he's that picky, there will be a lot that he won't eat. It may not be worth the cost.

We'll be on the Dining plan and wanted a close, early dinner (as opposed to my 9:35pm dinner at Ohana another day...). All the other restaurants for our stay will work with him so he'll just have a liiiitle less variety for one meal if I stick with the ADR.

I say find a new boyfriend. :rotfl2:

Seriously, he should be fine. There are plenty of items there such as the carved meats and vegetables as others have suggested. Also, many a picky person do not have a problem with Boma; but then again, others do... Sorry that didn't help. LOL. Sure there are some different dishes there, but most of them are pretty tamed down.

People always joke about me dating a guy who can't eat seafood and his family teases him for dating a girl who loves seafood. We make it work and wouldn't change a thing, even if I can't eat steamed clams in his presence. I think that he'll at least be able to eat the meat and starches, then. Maybe, since it'll be near the end of the trip by then, he'll be a little more adventurous by then, even.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll give it a try. How about the juice that I hear is served at Ohana, Boma and Tusker House breakfast? I don't see it on the menu but can I request it?
Just ask for "frunch" and you're good to go.
I just hope you're not on a low-sugar diet - the stuff is glorious, but it may do weird things to your blood chemistry for an hour or so.

Just ask for "frunch" and you're good to go.
I just hope you're not on a low-sugar diet - the stuff is glorious, but it may do weird things to your blood chemistry for an hour or so.

Weirder things than drinking around the world in Epcot?

Our Ratings of Boma - Dinner: (*rev 4/26/2015*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: A
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: D
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: C
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a
Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Soup
. . . entree:.. ANY Soup, Durban Style Roasted Chicken
. . . dessert:. Cinnamon Chocolate Mousse, Bread pudding
NOTE1: Boma is outstanding for breakfast. For dinner it's below average and worth
passing by. I've worked in Africa, and menu items are highly Americanized, which
distorts the flavor - it is neither African no American and coms off as a mish-mosh.
African and Middle Eastern are spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cardamom,
which can make food appear sweet. If doing dinner, go for the soups. There are
fifteen different soups at five per night. Leave the meats, salads, the desserts,
except for the Zebra Domes. FYI: bring the ear plugs, as it does get REALLY noisy;
we think AKL was a good location - it sounds like a herd of elephants coming through.
NOTE2: We always ask the waiter what he recommends. Much to our surprise was
is comment was, "taste all of our soups, as they are terrific, and leave the rest of
the buffet to the tourists." This was our birthday dinner, so the statement really
stood out, and it was true.

I went w DH who is strictly "Meat and Potatoes" kind of guy. He ate about 300 calories and $5 worth. He ate a little of the beef and some of the pita type bread. That was IT. It was a total waste. He went back to food court and got a burger and fries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter