• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boma - love the food, starting the hate the atmosphere

aggiedog

DIS Veteran
We just got back from WDW yesterday. We ate at Boma our last night. It has always been a family favorite because most of us are foodies. We make the trek there even if not staying at the AKL. Maybe because it was our last night after 7 days there and we were all tired of crowds, but the wonderful food was offset by the chaotic atmosphere. We tend to eat late, around 8:00pm, so I understand that younger kids eating that time are often cranky and tired. I get that, though as a parent I'd probably try to eat earlier in that situation. What really got to me, though, were the number of young kids given the run of the restaurant while the parents sat and drank their wine. I could see 3 tables from where we were sitting where this was the case. There were kids sitting on the floor by the buffet, kids twirling in the aisles, one kid waving pom-poms on a stick in the aisle that poked my ds in the cheek, and the table next to us promptly handed out 3 iPad minis to the 3 little kids then turned the volume way up so they could hear them. Which meant we could hear all 3 competing games/videos/etc. It was not a pleasant experience.

Perhaps this is more a parenting vent, since the restaurant can't really control these things (though I do think they could discretely ask parents to corral their kids.) But at this point, I'm not sure we'll go back. :(

Did you complain while you were there? Or send off an e-mail? I agree the parents could have been nicely asked (told) to get their kids under control, and that they need to look at I-pads and such with headphones of the volume off.

We just got back from WDW yesterday. We ate at Boma our last night. It has always been a family favorite because most of us are foodies. We make the trek there even if not staying at the AKL. Maybe because it was our last night after 7 days there and we were all tired of crowds, but the wonderful food was offset by the chaotic atmosphere. We tend to eat late, around 8:00pm, so I understand that younger kids eating that time are often cranky and tired. I get that, though as a parent I'd probably try to eat earlier in that situation. What really got to me, though, were the number of young kids given the run of the restaurant while the parents sat and drank their wine. I could see 3 tables from where we were sitting where this was the case. There were kids sitting on the floor by the buffet, kids twirling in the aisles, one kid waving pom-poms on a stick in the aisle that poked my ds in the cheek, and the table next to us promptly handed out 3 iPad minis to the 3 little kids then turned the volume way up so they could hear them. Which meant we could hear all 3 competing games/videos/etc. It was not a pleasant experience.

Perhaps this is more a parenting vent, since the restaurant can't really control these things (though I do think they could discretely ask parents to corral their kids.) But at this point, I'm not sure we'll go back. :(

Sorry to hear. A lot of what you encountered is exactly why I tend to stay away from buffets anymore. I just don't understand it, having 3 kids of my own. We have consistently taken our children to all sorts of restaurants, ever since they were babies so maybe they just know how to behave?? I have seen it at the Signatures as well. Sure kids, go have free reign and criss cross between tables, walk in front of servers, etc... while we all wait for wishes to start. I'd be ashamed as a parent. Sadly, I am seeing a trend with this type of (non)parenting more and more in general. Its frustrating.

My biggest pet peeve (here at home too) is parents at restaurants giving their kids ipads/smartphones/whatever with the volume turned all the way up. It's a restaurant. If you or your kids want to have your face buried in devices, that's not my business, but I don't want to hear what you're watching.

I couldn't agree more with this. I'm not opposed to people having children in restaurants, even signature ones, but if those children can't behave reasonably then they shouldn't be there. I don't expect perfection, I raised twin boys so I know kids can act out. However, if you know your kids can't behave, don't take them to such places. Or if they are just having a meltdown, which any child can do, remove them for a bit until they settle down. Don't subject everyone in to this behaviour. And please....don't ignore their poor behaviour while those around you suffer.

In October we were at Cali Grill at one of the tables that are along one of the padded benches. Beside us was a woman with her grandson, who was roughly 5 or 6 years old. He was playing on a tablet, but the sound wasn't on, so that was fine. But he was laid down on the bench, with his feet about 6 inches from me and the soles of his shoes pointed toward me, and was constantly kicking, and at more than one point put his feet against my legs. I gently moved them away, and the lady saw, and loudly asked him to get his feet down. It was very half hearted though, and she only kept an eye on him when she was actually eating and not looking at her own phone. It continued on some way all the way through the meal. In Sci Fi Diner, we were sat in the back of a car with a family of 4 in the 2 rows in front, but the adults were sat in the front, with the 2 young boys between us and them. The boys were standing up, turned round and putting their hands into our car, and shouting. We asked the children to stop, but the adults hardly ever turned round to engage with them. We would have put the kids in front, or sat one with each, and couldn't understand their thought process.

Each time we weren't sure what to do. To talk to the parents (especially in Cali Grill where we would have had to sit so close for a long while) would have felt uncomfortable to me. I guess my mind tells me that the parents should not be allowing things like this, and I guess it isn't for the server who sees it to do anything. We have just decided that resign ourselves to the fact that this is how it will be for 50% of the time we are in close proximity to children in a restaurant. It is a shame as we really like to see kids in restaurants at Disney with their families.

I was at BOG for dinner last Fall when the family at the table tight to me decided to ignore their pre-teens for the night. The son was flipping his knife onto my table. Mom was busy texting. The father quickly downed 3 belgian beer one after the other and stared into space. When I asked the father if he wanted his son's knife back, he angled his chair away from me and continued with his mental vacation. I get that parents get tired of their own children and their behaviour. But they are their children, not mine. I'm not interested in dealing with their kids' antics while Mom & Dad zone out.

OK, glad to see I'm not just a grumpy mom. We have 4 kids, including a set of twins, so I understand that not all kids are perfect and that there are times where parents really just want to ignore their kids. That doesn't mean they should ignore their kids - that's what a bottle of wine in the room is for.

I did not talk to the restaurant. Really, it was everywhere in the room. That genie was way out of the bottle at that point. I think instead it would need to be a company wide policy of politely asking parents to control their kids, which of course would probably cause riots of angry "just want to go on vacation" parents.

I have definitely given other kids "the Mom look" when I'm out and about! LOL

^^Worse than the mom look . . . I pull out the Teacher Look all the time! haha I truly do feel bad for parents if their kids look tired and cranky, and the parents just want to have a nice dinner, but you know what? If it ain't to be, it ain't to be! Bring your tired cranky kid back to the room! The whole restaurant is paying HUGE prices to dine there, and the parents should be considerate about that. But everyone on this thread is preaching to the choir. I bet you all tell you kids, like we used to with ours when they were little - "restaurant behavior as soon as we walk through the door."

Oh hell no. I'd lose my mind.

I'm not afraid to tell someone else's kid to knock their crap off, but I'm always prepared for the offended parent to come back with some attitude.

Yup. I have no problem speaking up when kids are out of control. Being on vacation doesn't give you a vacation from parenting, you're still supposed to do that part!

I used to be a server at Disney and I would always tell parents their kids needed to sit down if they were running around, it's just not safe.

Sorry to hear. A lot of what you encountered is exactly why I tend to stay away from buffets anymore. I just don't understand it, having 3 kids of my own. We have consistently taken our children to all sorts of restaurants, ever since they were babies so maybe they just know how to behave?? I have seen it at the Signatures as well. Sure kids, go have free reign and criss cross between tables, walk in front of servers, etc... while we all wait for wishes to start. I'd be ashamed as a parent. Sadly, I am seeing a trend with this type of (non)parenting more and more in general. Its frustrating.

Couldnt agree more !! Our kids are far from perfect, but we have been taking them to restaurants since they were old enough to eat !! They know when they are in a restaurant, they are there to eat ! It's not a playground, and people are trying to enjoy their meals. We've stopped going to buffets as well. Last straw was "Chef Mickeys", where my daughter almost got trampled trying to get cereal ! We now call it "Camp Mickeys" !!!

I had a similar experience last September. We tried Boma dinner for the first time and the food and the service were quite good. The atmosphere, though, was very frantic. We have two children and I did not let them go to the buffet by themselves. Therefore, I was up running around more than I was seated. It would not have been so bad if the restaurant were not so crowded, but every time I got up to get food we had to wait in line at each different food station. It was hard to move through the restaurant, too, due to the tables being close together and so many people moving about.

That is one reason I really like Ohana: the food comes to your table and you can sit and relax.

It has been 10 years since we have eaten here, but have it booked for an upcoming trip. It was one of my must do's (only 3 made the list). I can not remember the layout but is there a place to request that might be quieter than by the buffet directly?

Wow, we got lucky apparently. We ate there last December and didn't see all of that. I really wish that restaurants would ask parents to control their children.

In October we were at Cali Grill at one of the tables that are along one of the padded benches. Beside us was a woman with her grandson, who was roughly 5 or 6 years old. He was playing on a tablet, but the sound wasn't on, so that was fine. But he was laid down on the bench, with his feet about 6 inches from me and the soles of his shoes pointed toward me, and was constantly kicking, and at more than one point put his feet against my legs. I gently moved them away, and the lady saw, and loudly asked him to get his feet down. It was very half hearted though, and she only kept an eye on him when she was actually eating and not looking at her own phone. It continued on some way all the way through the meal. In Sci Fi Diner, we were sat in the back of a car with a family of 4 in the 2 rows in front, but the adults were sat in the front, with the 2 young boys between us and them. The boys were standing up, turned round and putting their hands into our car, and shouting. We asked the children to stop, but the adults hardly ever turned round to engage with them. We would have put the kids in front, or sat one with each, and couldn't understand their thought process.

Each time we weren't sure what to do. To talk to the parents (especially in Cali Grill where we would have had to sit so close for a long while) would have felt uncomfortable to me. I guess my mind tells me that the parents should not be allowing things like this, and I guess it isn't for the server who sees it to do anything. We have just decided that resign ourselves to the fact that this is how it will be for 50% of the time we are in close proximity to children in a restaurant. It is a shame as we really like to see kids in restaurants at Disney with their families.
I was about to say I saw the behaviour mentioned by the OP at Cali Grill. Then there was the Blood curdling SCREAM emitted by some creature for over 10 seconds ...then repeated over and over and over again. After a few minutes I think a CM had a word. I still don't know exactly where it was coming from it was so eerie.

I can in a way "cope" with it at somewhere like Boma...but at Cali Grill...to have it like a zoo as well is really really disappointing

It is tough work keeping your kid corralled and entertained at dinner in a place like Disney, when they are overstimulated all day long and they need to be quieter and sit and eat. But the days of you being able to sit at the table and be "off duty" while you have kids with you are over until they are old enough to sit without supervision. It sucks but... be the grownup and suck up and deal and don't let your kids disturb other people. I'm sure it feeds on itself too, some kids see other kids misbehaving so they do too and the parents are like "oh well" because theirs are not the only ones. The restaurant manager should still have said something to them, even without complaints. You can do so nicely and gently and in a disney way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter