Boma, Jiko or Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge?

sweetpea904

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney again Labor Day weekend and staying at AKL for the first time. I want to do a sit down restaurant but need to know which one is the best as we can only afford one. This is our 1st stay at a Deluxe Resort so we are super excited!!!!!!!! We have stayed at almost all Values and Moderates so we are upping our game this time. Please let me know your thoughts. TIA

Depends on who is in your party and what their tastes are. All are good. Boma is a buffet, so even the finickiest ( I don't care if that's actually a real word or not) will find lots to eat. And we think it's the best buffet on property.

Sanaa has a great ambiance and we like their take on Indian/African fusion. There are a few menu items for those with more limited taste preferences. One of our favourite non signatures.

Jiko is a very good signature restaurant that we like a lot. I never recommend going to a signature with young children unless they are capable of behaving themselves for the typically 2 hours that a good signature meal can take.

You cannot go wrong with any of them. The food and atmosphere is top notch at all of them. It just depends on what you want; like the previous poster said, Boma is a buffet, Jiko is a very nice, elegant restaurant with South African inspired dishes (short ribs and steaks with spice rubs and sauces, amazing wine list, etc), and Sanaa is kind of in between those - sit down table service, but not as fancy as Jiko. Their bread service and butter chicken are fabulous.

Just depends on what you're looking for! All are fabulous :thumbsup2

I have enjoyed dining at Boma multiple times and have eaten at Sanaa. Both are very, very good and are at the top of many guests' lists. In general, I would recommend Boma for families with young children and teens because of the many different dishes including African-themed takes and a number of tasty, North American comfort foods and staples. Something for everyone. Definitely take a look at Sanaa's menu and online food pics to get a sense if it would be a good fit for your family. I enjoyed it as a solo diner and it is popular with couples. While there were definitely children eating at Sanaa when I was there, I got the sense they were more interested in looking out the window to see if they could spot a bird or other random wildlife.

While Jiko is my favorite restaurant on property, it is pricey. Since cost is a consideration, I'd do Sanaa. The food is great, be sure to get the bread service, and the ambiance can't be beat. I've never done Boma, but largely because buffets don't appeal to me

I would probably go with Boma or Sanaa. We've enjoyed Boma when we ate there. I'm not a big fan of buffet meals but Boma is one of the better buffet style meals at WDW. We haven't tried Sanaa yet but it is on my list to try one time

We did try Jiko on our last trip. For me it was just ok, the meal in itself wasn't bad but it definitely not as great as everyone raves about. My steak was really stringy and not that great for the price. Plus we were seating in an area with a big party and the adults were letting the kids run around all over the place...very unexpected and not appreciated at all. Not sure if we were just there on a off night or what. But we were very disappointed with our dining experience there compared to all the rave reviews Jiko gets on the DIS. That said I will give it another chance sometime in the future.

Last edited:
We are going to Disney again Labor Day weekend and staying at AKL for the first time. I want to do a sit down restaurant but need to know which one is the best as we can only afford one. This is our 1st stay at a Deluxe Resort so we are super excited!!!!!!!! We have stayed at almost all Values and Moderates so we are upping our game this time. Please let me know your thoughts. TIA

I'd say all honestly..I know you can only afford one, but all 3 are excellent, & each one different & unique.

If I had to pick one w/ price being an issue, I'd go w/ Boma's
It's a buffet ( but shouldn't be called that ) It has sooo many options to choose from. I don't think I eat less than 3 or 4 plates when I dine there. And the desserts...:cake: DELISH!!!

We did the Wanyama safari, which is at Jiko. The dining was one of the most elegant and unique meals we have had at WDW ever. We have never just gone to Jiko. The safari was a combination late afternoon safari with a several course meal afterwards with wine matching for each of the dishes. Would love to do it again, but, was about $100 or so per person. Because of the wine tasting, wouldn't really want to bring young children, although there was a tween at the safari when we went. I like all of the restaurants. If I had to choose only one, and money was my primary consideration, and there were several people who may not all like adventurous meals, I would choose Boma. My son used to tell me he didn't like curry. Now he likes Sanaa, which has a lot of curry offerings, but, it probably isn't his favorite.

I enjoyed Boma and Jiko, liked them both. Check out their menus under dining and youtube should have videos.

We've been to Jiko and Boma numerous times and like them both. I'd love to try Sanaa some day. Jiko is more of an elegant dining experience. Check out the menu online to see if the choices and prices appeal to you. Boma is a nice buffet, in fact the only one we go to at WDW (in general, I'm not a fan of buffets). It's a good option if you want to try lots of items... there is so much to choose from and so many items that you can only find at Boma. It's not your typical WDW buffet.

There is a restaurant tour at AKL (at least there was when we stayed there last time) that takes you into both Boma and Jiko during off-hours. They discuss their menus and even let you have a taste of something!

Agree with so many others/ Boma is best buffet on WDW property IF you are more adventurous in eating. DH is strictly meat and potatoes and it was a total waste taking him there. TOTAL waste.

Jiko is DINING at its best (ask for Nasser to be your server) but it is very pricey.

Saana has outstanding bread service and butter chicken. I found everything else to be "meh", but it is probably the best choice for those who prefer very conventional food choices.

As others have said, albeit in different ways, these are vastly different restaurants.

Boma - buffet.
Sanaa - casual sit-down.
Jiko - Signature sit-down.

---------
Excellent description:

Depends on who is in your party and what their tastes are. All are good. Boma is a buffet, so even the finickiest ( I don't care if that's actually a real word or not) will find lots to eat. And we think it's the best buffet on property.

Sanaa has a great ambiance and we like their take on Indian/African fusion. There are a few menu items for those with more limited taste preferences. One of our favourite non signatures.

Jiko is a very good signature restaurant that we like a lot. I never recommend going to a signature with young children unless they are capable of behaving themselves for the typically 2 hours that a good signature meal can take.

--------

I'll add to Minnie Mum:

- Disney does offer a 'Camp' if you'd like to drop off the kid(s) while you dine. There are age restrictions, etc.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/animal-kingdom-lodge/simba-cubhouse/

- Sanaa has a lovely view out their window of animals on the Savannah if dining during daylight at lunch or early dinner (depending on time of year). Of course, these Savannah views may be part of the view from your room or at vista points throughout the AK resort.

In our family's opinion, Boma is the best buffet anywhere, not just WDW. Good opportunity for a non-adventurous eater to try something different. He can always fall back on the simpler fare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter