• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boggy Creek Airboats??

cslogg

Earning My Ears
Anyone been on these?
Any comments?
Planning to give it a go on one of the Sundays we are there followed by something to eat in their restaurant.
Anyone eaten there and could comment on the prices quality etc?
We have a couple of veggies in our party,are they catered for?

Thanks in advance
cslogg

We did the Virgin "Gator Night" excursion to Boggy Creek (the one you get to from 192) in June this year.

One of the most fascinating nights of my life, despite the quite awful weather which had already caused a postponement once.

Airboat ride was awesome, timed just as the sun went down and with plenty of gators on show. Doing the excursion meant we had an hour out on the boat as opposed to the 40mins anybody just turning up would get.

Then back to the ranch for a BBQ, fantastic food, plenty of Busch beer and some interesting entertainment.

Night was topped off with a visit by Gator Steve, who talked about his experiences of Gators and even allowed us to hold a little un and have our pictures taken with it. Fantastic end to a brilliant night.

Regarding your question about the restaurant I think this must be at the other Boggy Creek site as there was no restaurant visible that night.

Tour is operared by Gator Tours and was expensive, but really cost doesn't come in to it for an experience like this.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a trip, you won't regret it.

Regards,
Julian

jwhiting,
thanks for the reply.Sounds interesting although we will be doing a daytime trip.On the website it just says there is a restaurant,no mention of what location its on.

cslogg

CS, you don't mention the time of year you are visiting? We went to Boggy Creek in April and already it was too hot during the day to see many gators, although we did see a lot of birds. The guide did say that once it warms up your best bet to see a gator is to do a night trip as Julian mentions.
The restaurant (at the original Boggy Creek) didn't look to be the type of place I would travel to eat at. The area is a camping area and looked pretty much to be driven by budget considerations first and foremost. It's certainly not a "special" place to eat. If you've ever eaten at the Fort Wilderness camp ground restaurant I would say it's similar style but about four levels lower in terms of quality. JMHO. I would find a restaurant along the 192 to eat at on your drive home.

Vernon,
we are going next month and plan to take a 9am trip and have some food aftwerwards but if I get some negative comments about the food we shall just do the ride.

cslogg

We did two trips with them in July - first one was at the more Northerly location - was good but not too many gators to see - there appeared to be a restaraunt nearby but did'nt give it a go. We did the location near 192 at night-time and it was excellent - we arrived early and there were gators right at the edge of the water waiting for us! Make sure you wear plenty of bite cream at night - we got eaten alive!! Make sure you wear the goggles as well - bug city - but lots of fun!

Nick

Hi,
We returned three days ago. Did Boggy creek in week 2. We found it an exhilerating experience. My children loved the handbrake turns!

You do wonder how they find their way around the water. I was lucky enough to sit with the driver so probably got a better view than some. I saw one large alligator and a baby of 12 months. When it's hot they tend to stay under the water and emerge at night.

We didn't eat there so I cannot comment on the food but our driver Chad made it a marvellous experience. He also offered to take a pic of us on the top of the boat.

We would fully recommend it!

Boggy Creek have two completely separate operations, one at East Lake Fish Camp (east Lake Toho) and the other at Davenport Park, way to the south of Kissimmee (about 20 miles south on Poinciana Boulevard). The former is their main area, with their biggest boats and usually a no-wait for the daily rides, while the latter is a smaller and quieter location (and prettier in many ways). East Lake boasts the Fish Camp restaurant, which is real down-home Florida style cooking. I rate their breakfasts very highly, even if the surroundings are not exactly high on style, and have also enjoyed their Friday night buffet (featuring catfish, frogs legs, gator nuggets, plus more regular offerings!) several times. Not sure about options for vegetarians, though. The new Night-Time Gator Safari at Davenport Park has been put together with Gator Tours (www.gatortours.com) and looks like being very popular with the British tour operators (as it involves inclusive round-trip coach transport from your hotel). The Boggy Creek airboats remain, IMHO, by far the best in the area and a great (and essential) Florida experience, light years removed from the usual theme park hustle-bustle. Look up www.bcairboats.com for more info, or Gator Tours for the Gator Safari.

We went on one last year, I think the original one. Great fun, did not see a gator but then again with the noise of the boat did not expect to. Plenty of wildlife and loads of scary 90 degree turns.

We all got wet though the spray, a great day out for minimal money. See the various coupon booklets for discount vouchers.

The restaurant is a real US roadside type cafe with real golden girls waitresses. Not something I would take very young kids to and not for a special night out. However the lunchtime burger was good (and cheap). We had to have 'to go' due to the boat departure. Service was quickish and good though.

Would I go again ? You bet....

C

We've done the morning ride and it's great!

However, not so keen on the place to eat, we went there for a drink and kept having visions of the film 'Deliverance'!!! I'm sure it does fab food but it wasn't a place we particularly felt comfortable in. Very American rather than touristy which made a change, but a bit too much of a change for us!! :)

Astrid

We plan to go to Boggy Creek in January.
Have we much chance of seeing any gators?
We will be going in the daytime.
Also we have kids with us, the youngest will only be 15 months old, is this way too young for him to ride on the airboats?.
We don't want to scare the living daylights out of him!!.
Lin

Linclaire,
that reminds me one of our party is 70 years old,but sprightly.
Would the ride be too much for her?
Anyone know??

cslogg

Did the ride (again!) in July with friends and her parents, aged 80 & 81 - and they loved it. It's one of Jock's favourite things. Also did the parasailing which was great, so long as you don't look down! (although not the 80 yr olds!!)

Lin, our guide said that you have a very good chance of seeing the gators during the day in winter as they have to sun themselves to get warmed up, in summer they lurk underwater and in the shade to keep cool ( which is why you don't see them so much) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter