BOG menu concerns..

HollyJoy

DIS Veteran
So, was very excited to land a BOG reservation for our upcoming trip to WDW, but now I'm looking at the menu and I am not sure about keeping the ADR. My concern is whether or not my kids will actually eat the food! They don't have very expansive tastebuds. While to me, the menu looks nice, I'd hate to spend all that $ and them not eat. :/ Guess part of it is the whole atmosphere, but now I'm wondering if I should release the ADR's and just stick with lunch (which also doesn't look that appealing for them. :/ ) Has anyone with picky eaters eaten here.. ?

So, was very excited to land a BOG reservation for our upcoming trip to WDW, but now I'm looking at the menu and I am not sure about keeping the ADR. My concern is whether or not my kids will actually eat the food! They don't have very expansive tastebuds. While to me, the menu looks nice, I'd hate to spend all that $ and them not eat. :/ Guess part of it is the whole atmosphere, but now I'm wondering if I should release the ADR's and just stick with lunch (which also doesn't look that appealing for them. :/ ) Has anyone with picky eaters eaten here.. ?

I tried starting at 180 days out and could not get an ADR. After looking at the menu there are a couple of people in our group who won't eat anything on the menu so stopped trying for an ADR. We are going at lunch. Reviews are better and everyone will eat something on the lunch menu.

the food at BOG isn't particularly good. the reason to go would be the atmosphere (which is very fun).

Here's a link to the menu:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_be-our-guest.html

We are on a tight budget, and though under the dining plan, I wouldn't worry about it, I don't have that option :( So $$ is a factor here. I can't pay simply for atmosphere.. thinking now that lunch may be a better option for us?

Also, I've heard that there really is no other character interaction here other than Beast walking through the room? Then you can meet him in another room? Not sure this is enough draw for us. Can't we still meet him in Epcot?

We loved BOG and thought the food, service and atmosphere were fantastic! Our picky eaters each had the steak and french fry meal and loved it! :goodvibes

Steak, and french fries...pretty simplistic. :thumbsup2

We skipped BOG our last trip and my husband really wanted to go. I had 4 different ADRs at different times for June 2013.

I regret letting all of them go because the menu didn't appeal to me but was ok for everyone else.

So I have an ADR for our Spring Break trip and we are going. We also pay out of pocket but use TiW.

I am a firm believer in taking dining reviews with a grain of salt and trying it for myself. There are so many restaurants we love that have mixed reviews.

I say try it you may love it!

I tried starting at 180 days out and could not get an ADR. After looking at the menu there are a couple of people in our group who won't eat anything on the menu so stopped trying for an ADR. We are going at lunch. Reviews are better and everyone will eat something on the lunch menu.

I heard their pork and potatoes for lunch were AWESOME. Slow cooked and garlic potatoes looks delicious

We skipped BOG our last trip and my husband really wanted to go. I had 4 different ADRs at different times for June 2013.

I regret letting all of them go because the menu didn't appeal to me but was ok for everyone else.

So I have an ADR for our Spring Break trip and we are going. We also pay out of pocket but use TiW.

I am a firm believer in taking dining reviews with a grain of salt and trying it for myself. There are so many restaurants we love that have mixed reviews.

I say try it you may love it!

i agree with this -- try what you think your family will find fun. however, i'd also say that if dinner at BOG would stretch your budget and cause you to be stressed or really disappointed if it isn't perfectly amazing, then it might be better to do lunch and be more relaxed.

You don't mention how old your children are, but I'd suggest asking them if they would eat anything on the menu. If you get their buy-in about trying something new at a fun restaurant, they may be more inclined to eat the food. If they show no interest in the menu or say they wouldn't eat anything, I'd say cancel the ADR.

We loved BOG and thought the food, service and atmosphere were fantastic! Our picky eaters each had the steak and french fry meal and loved it! :goodvibes

Steak, and french fries...pretty simplistic. :thumbsup2

I was worried about my picky eaters too but if they serve steak & fries we are all set :)

Here's a link to the menu: http://allears.net/menu/menu_be-our-guest.html We are on a tight budget, and though under the dining plan, I wouldn't worry about it, I don't have that option :( So $$ is a factor here. I can't pay simply for atmosphere.. thinking now that lunch may be a better option for us? Also, I've heard that there really is no other character interaction here other than Beast walking through the room? Then you can meet him in another room? Not sure this is enough draw for us. Can't we still meet him in Epcot?

The food is delicious. We had a fabulous dinner in May. What about the menu won't your kids eat? My Dd who was 2.5 ate the chicken and pasta and broccoli meal. That plus the bread and the cupcake were more than enough for her. Would your kids eat plain pasta? How about an app instead of a meal?

No you can no longer meet the Beast in EPCOT. His home is in his castle. He is home for dinner. He walks into each room after being announced and waves. You can choose to meet him for a photo afterward in his study.

This is exactly why we only went to BOG for lunch. My daughter isn't necessarily a picky eater, but she isn't very adventurous, either. Since we were on the DP, I ordered her the turkey sandwich with french fries. She didn't touch the sandwich but loved the fries (which is sometimes all she eats for a meal anyway). Next trip we will not be on the DP, so ordering just a side of fries will make sense if that's all she's going to eat. Well, fries and a cupcake!

I wouldn't cancel it. We didn't find the menu to our taste either, but went for cupcakes and drinks(after a long day a nice little adult beverage is needed). Our waitress even brought the kids the grey stuff. It was one of our favorite memories and having the Beast there made it complete. You cannot get that at lunch. He was one of our best character interactions. Even though he doesn't talk he was still funny(with his CM helper). I know that can vary, but my kids loved meeting him. The whole experience was magical:goodvibes

You didn't say how old we are talking about but my 14 yr old son is very picky. We went to BOG for lunch, and all he had was fries and a cupcake. NOTHING on the lunch menu appealed to him.

I had dinner later in the week and decided to keep it. I really wanted to eat there and told him if he can't find anything we will just stop and get him something later.

If you talk to the server they will work with you. My son was able to order the chicken dinner without any of the olives or sauce on it. Worked much better for him, he was also able to replace the potatoes with the au gratin macaroni (his favorite thing of the whole meal!!!)

I found at dinner they will work with you more. At lunch I had asked if they could make one of those grilled ham and cheese without ham (my son doesn't like ham) and I was told no.

Here's a link to the menu:

http://allears.net/menu/menu_be-our-guest.html

We are on a tight budget, and though under the dining plan, I wouldn't worry about it, I don't have that option :( So $$ is a factor here. I can't pay simply for atmosphere.. thinking now that lunch may be a better option for us?

Also, I've heard that there really is no other character interaction here other than Beast walking through the room? Then you can meet him in another room? Not sure this is enough draw for us. Can't we still meet him in Epcot?

This is actually the only place to see the Beast. He's no longer at Epcot.

You can eat somewhere else for dinner prior to going to BOG. Then just have dessert and drinks there afterwards. I know of some friends who did this, as they weren't keen on the dinner offerings. This way you can still partake of the atmosphere and experience of dining in the Beast's Castle. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter