• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOG hype

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
Last year we tried to get BOG and never could. We figured with it so hard to get it must be pretty awesome! So, we had BOG for breakfast and dinner in September, it was okay food. Breakfast was good. I mean, it was as good as any normal breakfast but no where close to The Wave or Rain forest Cafe'. Dinner was okay food. Not something I will ever waste an hour of my time to eat at again. So why all the hype over this restaurant? Everyone seems to rave about it but I just don't see it. My girls liked it just because they were in Beast Castle but even the deserts were not that good.

This was the best part lol. My daughter, Belle, with the beast.

MK_BEOURGUESTCHAR_20170912_404824284633small.jpg

Last edited:
You mean it wasn't "amazing" food in the most beautifully decorated and perfectly themed room you have ever seen? I don't understand the hype either. If you check out the restaurant review sites you'll see the reviews tend toward the two extremes. Either the most magical experience ever or a cafeteria like setting that isn't worth the price or the effort to get in.

I think a lot of people expect a fine dining experience, but fail to realize it is not a signature restaurant and therefore has good/decent, but not amazing, food. From the many stories I've heard, this is where a lot of people's let down comes from.

Overall, I think the experience and atmosphere is what draws people. BOG really takes you into the Beauty & The Beast movie, which is something that no other restaurant can do besides BOG.

Also, individual tastes do differ. I enjoy the restaurant, only for dinner, but also don't have unrealistic expectations for it.

Hope you had a great trip!

You mean it wasn't "amazing" food in the most beautifully decorated and perfectly themed room you have ever seen? I don't understand the hype either. If you check out the restaurant review sites you'll see the reviews tend toward the two extremes. Either the most magical experience ever or a cafeteria like setting that isn't worth the price or the effort to get in.
Right. It is a beautiful castle and you feel like its actually snowing outside! So why would they spend so much on the theme and not pay attention to the food? I didn't feel like I was in a cafeteria though. I did feel like I was in the Castle but the food at dinner was not what I expected.

I think a lot of people expect a fine dining experience, but fail to realize it is not a signature restaurant and therefore has good/decent, but not amazing, food. From the many stories I've heard, this is where a lot of people's let down comes from.

Overall, I think the experience and atmosphere is what draws people. BOG really takes you into the Beauty & The Beast movie, which is something that no other restaurant can do besides BOG.

Also, individual tastes do differ. I enjoy the restaurant, only for dinner, but also don't have unrealistic expectations for it.

Hope you had a great trip!
We always have a great trip when we go to Disney :)

My kids absolutely loved it. It was the one request they had for our return trip of all the things we did and places we ate.

And, of course, despite constant stalking I am having zero luck getting a reservation. :sad1:

I thought the food was good. And the atmosphere just can’t beat.

The food is good but not great. The atmosphere is great (though opinions vary lol). But...what are your other options at MK? It’s by far the best theme there. MK is fairly weak in the food department so this is a good one. If you didn’t like it, try something else next time. No restaurant appeals to everyone.

I think a small part of it is also the (severe?) lack of quality dining options at MK. Relatively speaking and taking all factors into account (setting, atmosphere, food quality, etc) BOG is one of the ‘better’ options park wide, especially for dinner. If it had any decent competition I think you’d see the hype fall off a bit.

I think a small part of it is also the (severe?) lack of quality dining options at MK

For dinner, I can buy this. For a table service option it isn't that bad of a value but for lunch I think Columbia Harbour House and Peco Bill are both far superior.

Right. It is a beautiful castle and you feel like its actually snowing outside! So why would they spend so much on the theme and not pay attention to the food? I didn't feel like I was in a cafeteria though. I did feel like I was in the Castle but the food at dinner was not what I expected.

Because they don't have to. The atmosphere alone will fill the seats, and the profits are higher with full seats and mediocre food than they would be with full seats and high-quality food.

We don't love BoG either. We've only been for breakfast, and we're going back for breakfast again because it is the best PPO option at Magic Kingdom. They don't need to give us good food to get us to come back. We're paying that $24 per meal as much for the head start on Fantasyland touring as for the meal itself. (That said, there is one thing I love about it - the option of a charcuterie plate for breakfast. As someone who doesn't eat eggs, that's something I wish more places would offer).

Last year we tried to get BOG and never could. We figured with it so hard to get it must be pretty awesome! So, we had BOG for breakfast and dinner in September, it was okay food...My girls liked it just because they were in Beast Castle but even the deserts were not that good...This was the best part lol. My daughter, Belle, with the beast.
That picture of your daughter with the Beast pretty much says it all. BOG is the only place in the world that can happen.

People need to remember: if it's not a signature restaurant, it's not fine dining.

I understand how you feel. I am doing it this trip because 1) I scored a before park ADR, and 2) We enjoy the atmosphere. If it wasn't for those two things, I'd probably skip it.

I've tried lunch, hated the food. Tried dinner, the food was ok, but nothing I'd care to have again. We will see how breakfast goes, but I'm not holding my breath.

We go for the experience of eating in the castle and know what we are getting into. We don't go expecting amazing food and service.

Also, as pointed out earlier, there aren't a lot of great options at MK to eat at. CRT is ridiculously expensive, so if your child wants to eat in a castle and you can't afford CRT, you're left with BOG. I think that's one of the biggest reasons right there that it is so popular. It is an inexpensive way to eat in a castle, and who doesn't want to say they have eaten in a castle?

I thought about going but I don't know what my 11 year olds would eat there. Everything seems too fancy, or "frou-frou" for them.

Part of the hype is really the weakness of the dining in MK.

BOG doesn't serve "weird" food like Skipper Canteen. They serve french fries. So.

(SC is good, but people freak out about the menu and where are the nuggets.)

I've only gone for lunch.
I've been 8 times and will be 9 as of February.
I would not go for breakfast or dinner.
I really enjoy the food especially the dessert!
Its also such an amazing atmosphere for someone like me who absolutely adores BATB.
My entire family loves it even my parents in the 70's are drawn to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter