BOG - can I change number of people?

rileyroosmom

DIS Veteran
I have a dinner reservation for my dd16 to celebrate her birthday. Our trip was all planned out for the 2 of us. Well 60 days out she decides she wants her brother to come on the trip. There are no ADRs for 3 on the night of our dinner. Does anyone know if he can join us when we arrive for dinner?

I have a dinner reservation for my dd16 to celebrate her birthday. Our trip was all planned out for the 2 of us. Well 60 days out she decides she wants her brother to come on the trip. There are no ADRs for 3 on the night of our dinner. Does anyone know if he can join us when we arrive for dinner?

I doubt it. It never hurts to ask, but they do have two-top tables, and adding a third will not work. Keep trying to make the new ADR, but be ready to cancel it 24 hrs out.

Good luck with the but I doubt that they will be able to seat the extra person. This place books up fast and generally does not have the extra space for walk up or add on the day of.

You will need to get him added or make a new reservation for the three of you. They most likely will not be able to accommodate an extra person, especially at dinner. You will most likely be turned away.

Keep checking for an ADR for three, or an ADR for one around the same time as the one you have. Showing up with an extra should be the very last thing you do, as odds are they will be turned away. BoG is hugely popular and going from 2 to 3 you would need a different sized table as the one they have ready for you.

Capacity at BOG dinner is limited by the ability of the kitchen to keep up, not by the tables. I think this is one of the easier places to show up with an extra person, since the number of seats at a table won't be an issue.

Capacity at BOG dinner is limited by the ability of the kitchen to keep up, not by the tables. I think this is one of the easier places to show up with an extra person, since the number of seats at a table won't be an issue.

Why wouldn't it be? Dinner is not a seat yourself affair.

You will probably be turned away, so if you can't get a new reservation for 3, don't have your heart set on eating there.

1) You cannot simply add another person, or more, to an existing reservation.
2) The reservation must be new.
. . . the old ressie is cancelled
. . . the new ressie is made for the number of folks you want
. . . if you or the CM mess-up and cancel first, then you might not even be able to get the new reservation
. . . lots of people have literally been not able to get back into their eatery
3) It is better to try for a single person ressie, as ADR's for BoG are hard to get.
4) If not able to get the ressie, someone is going to stand outside and wait while you eat.
5) Basically, make the initial ressie for those you really want.
6) All too often, especially at popular eateries (like BoG), adding people is not possible.
7) See the notes below regarding extra people.

************************************************************************************

THE QUESTION OF AN EXTRA PERSON or EXTRA PEOPLE (the "411"):
1) Disney is getting wise to the "but, they decided to join us" or "I miscounted".
2) People can't always get the ADR they want.
3) So, they under-count to get a table.
4) Then, they show up with "unexpected" additional people.
5) In a team meeting, CM's have been told to warn guests against this.
6) If there is room, WDW will not turn away revenue.
7) But, if busy, they will turn away the additions.
8) Go ahead and arrive with the extras, if you like.
9) Just be prepared to have someone stand around OUTSIDE while you eat.
10) I have heard explanations such as . . .
. . . "but, Aunt Suzy decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, two friends from off-site decided to join us and we need two extra seats"
. . . "but, brother-in-law decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, the entire Boy Scout Troop decided to join us and we need 14 extra sets"
. . . "but, my baby is so small that I didn't count her in the number of eaters"
NOTE1: It is far easier going from an odd-number to an even number, such as from 7-people to 8-people, adding a person to an even number of diners, such as going from 6-people to 7-people. Adding odd person can mean adding a table, and this might not be possible. Going from an odd-to-even might only mean adding a chair or using an empty seat. So, if going from even-to-odd, you might not get the extra person a seat. It is always better to get another ADR with the proper people-count.
NOTE2: Frequently a party-of-two will try to add a third person at the podium. This can be risky, because many eateries do have tables-for-two. If the guest was slated for one of these, there simply might not be a table available to seat the third person - even if an infant. The extra chair location might extend into an aisle and block access for other guests or Servers.
NOTE3: Sometimes it is a threesome adding a fourth. Unfortunately, there are many eateries that do have 3-top tables - usually against a wall or pillar. They can't add a fourth chair, since that would invade the aisle and be unsafe for SERVERS.
NOTE4: The final question is that of how many people are in the eatery. There are Fire Codes which dictate the maximum amount of people. If the capacity is exceeded, there are some big fines possible. And, Disney will not violate the max-capacity of an eatery.

Why wouldn't it be? Dinner is not a seat yourself affair.
Since the restaurant isn't limited by seating capacity, you'll find many empty tables during dinner. It's probably the most frequent question people ask afterwards, "why was it so difficult to get an ADR when half the tables were empty." They are very likely to have a larger table available.

Since the restaurant isn't limited by seating capacity, you'll find many empty tables during dinner. It's probably the most frequent question people ask afterwards, "why was it so difficult to get an ADR when half the tables were empty." They are very likely to have a larger table available.

Every restaurant is limited by seating capacity. I've not yet had a meal there where I haven't heard them turn walk ups away. The OP could be fortunate and get their extra guest seated, but it shouldn't be counted on.

Every restaurant is limited by seating capacity. I've not yet had a meal there where I haven't heard them turn walk ups away. The OP could be fortunate and get their extra guest seated, but it shouldn't be counted on.
I don't think @supersnoop was suggesting it was a sure thing, or to count on it.

I do agree, though -- if you could do it somewhere, it would be BOG due to the very strange seating logistics of dinner there.

If you're prepared for the possibility of not eating at Be Our Guest that night, this all sounds pretty simple:

If you can't snag another reservation for three people either online or on the phone, simply show up with the extra guest. If you're seated, glorious! Enjoy your meal. If you're turned away, oh well. You knew it was a possibility. Hopefully there will be other opportunities to eat dinner there in the future.

I have no idea whether you'll be accommodated or not. I've never had a problem with an extra guest magically appearing at the last moment, but Be Our Guest is decidedly more popular than most other Disney restaurants. Good luck!

Every restaurant is limited by seating capacity.
Be Our Guest is restricted by kitchen capacity at dinner. They purposefully leave seats empty because the kitchen couldn't feed everyone if they filled the seats. My point being, you wouldn't have any trouble getting a 4-top with a reservation for 2. They'll have plenty of extra tables. Whether or not they have kitchen capacity to accommodate the extra person is the question. That's certainly a risk.

- Keep trying until the night before
- Folks always cancel, I've cancel dinner week of 5-6 times
- Anyone who has to cancel a package at payment due will cancel all their ADRs
- When folks make their FP+, 60 and 30 day, they will cancel ADRs they double booked until they knew where they were going
- Keep trying for 3
- Also try for 1 and 4
- Get 1, all show up and ask to be seated together, as explained it's not a table issue but kitchen issue so ADR count is important
- Get 4, all show up and say one couldn't make, no penalty
- Can't get any, go by earlier in the day and see if they can change your ADR right there at check in podium
- Worse comes to worse, you girls go eat and let DS go off and grab a QS and meet you (we've done that)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter