Body Odor....Old People Odor...

I don't know where the OP lives but if it is a city it could just be a street person who is mentally ill/ alcoholic/drug abuser any combination of the 3.
That with the closing of mental health units, residential facilities is now out on the street.

We had our regulars at the ER who could have fit this bill easily. Couldn't get within 10 ft of them. They'd show up for something and we would feed them, de-louse them ,shower them, peel off their clothes and throw them out, give them all new ones, feed them and let them sleep the night to send them out in the morning till the next time they stumbled in.

If he is as bad as the OP said I kinda doubt he is just an older gentleman who has forgotten to shower a couple times. So I won't jump all over her.
Believe me some of these people you wouldn't want to be near either. I'm curious to how much he was buying, that would tell a lot.

I have to say, now that I'm in my 50's, sort of take offense to "old people odor". What exactly is 'old' people odor? My grandmother didn't smell, the 80 year old I work with doesn't smell. Couldn't you just have said, a man was in the store and smelled?

DH an I went grocery shopping this afternoon there was an old man in store that was very stinky in desperate need of a shower an some clean clothes. DH an I passed him once, then the old man caught up with us I had to leave the area because I had to go outside an be sick.

DH decides lets kill some time read the ad again go back see if we missed anything trying to let the old man an his body odor get way ahead of us. NO such luck every where we went in the store there was the stinky old man.

We been home an hour an still feeling ill. We did notice there was no crowd around the stinky old man NO one could stand to be within 20 feet of him.

My own grandfather only bathed and changed clothes once a week had no a/c an in the summer could get pretty stinky. Mom did his laundry for years an often would sit his laundry outside in the summer.

This old man in the store made my grandfather an his summer time laundry smell like the best perfume ever.

I feel sorry for the cashier who had to ring up this old mans order as they did not have the option the rest of us in store had of running away.

Through previous jobs and volunteer work I've been around some pretty horrid smells, some that took my breath away even. But I've never once had to go outside and "be sick" or still have been ill an hour later. I'm not even sure you could smell body odor from 20ft away. Maybe human decomp but body odor?

Why did you go outside to "be sick"? Maybe it's regional but "to be sick" here means to vomit, puke, throw up. Are you saying his smell made you vomit? If so, why would you vomit outside instead of using the store's restroom? That seems kind of gross.

I'm not even sure you could smell body odor from 20ft away. Maybe human decomp but body odor?

Oh you can definitely smell some people 20 ft away! Yep. Now it isn't all body odor, throw in some urine and vomit, and maybe a bit of feces, liquor, sour wine, and rotten teeth, breath.

Originally Posted by dyna:
DH an I went grocery shopping this afternoon there was an old man in store that was very stinky in desperate need of a shower an some clean clothes.
DH an I passed him once, then the old man caught up with us I had to leave the area because I had to go outside an be sick.

DH decides lets kill some time read the ad again go back see if we missed anything trying to let the old man an his body odor get way ahead of us. NO such luck every where we went in the store there was the stinky old man.
We been home an hour an still feeling ill.

We did notice there was no crowd around the stinky old man NO one could stand to be within 20 feet of him.
How in the world did you know this? Did you interview the other shoppers?

...This old man in the store made my grandfather an his summer time laundry smell like the best perfume ever.

I feel sorry for the cashier who had to ring up this old mans order as they did not have the option the rest of us in store had of running away.

I bolded the "old man" references because I am disgusted not only with the lack of empathy, but with the OP's apparent attempt to disrespect this gentleman.

For those saying that the police should have been called for a welfare check how does that work? Its not like the store can force the gentleman to wait for the police to show up and its not a crime to smell bad. Unless he was exhibiting some type of behavior that made him seem unstable, I would think the police would not be rushing over. But, I don't know and since so many seem to offer this advice just wondering how it works.

OP, your post is truly sad on many levels. I know an older gentleman that people have issue with is body odor. However, he has dementia and feeds every feral cat in the city. Not sure how many he has had home. The odor isn't pleasant. He is always wearing the same clothes, and probably in his 90's. Probably the most gentle and sweet man you will meet in your life.

Kelly

Let me guess...you're in your 29s or 30s, right?

Remember karma OP. Sometimes she's a "witch".

Other PPs have outlined the reasons why he may have had an odor. If an odor causes you to be sick outside for an hour, I'm guessing you didn't empty the bathroom buckets from the wedding.

I'm also kind of curious as to why you'd be sick outside for an hour and not just go home and come back at a later time? If I was outside for an hour "being sick" the LAST thing is want to do is schlep around a store.

Interesting perspective you have about who to feel sorry for.

I don't have much to add, but I do find it more than a little humorous that OP was "sick" for over an hour after being close to this "old man", but was righteously defending a wedding where people used a bucket as a bathroom. :rotfl2: Really? Standards, people, standards.

LIKE!!

Isn't the OP the one who once threw an outdoor party where people went to the bathroom in a bucket?

I'm not sure I even want to know or read about that... :eek:

Well thank heavens it wasn't a stinky, pregnant 15 year old because that would have been much, much worse!

Now my nose hurts from snorting so loud!! :lmao:

My grandfather doesn't smell all too fresh.
He has dementia. He doesn't remember what happened an hour ago. However, he does remember what happened many many years ago. Especially that he has been in a camp during WWII.
Bathing, other care at the nursing home, ... somehow bring back bad memories from that time :(
So, they don't force him to do it as often as he should. It's too traumatic. Good thing he has better people around them than the OP.

Other PPs have outlined the reasons why he may have had an odor. If an odor causes you to be sick outside for an hour, I'm guessing you didn't empty the bathroom buckets from the wedding.

I'm also kind of curious as to why you'd be sick outside for an hour and not just go home and come back at a later time? If I was outside for an hour "being sick" the LAST thing is want to do is schlep around a store.

Actually if I recall correctly I think she is older, maybe 50s.

I don't have much to add, but I do find it more than a little humorous that OP was "sick" for over an hour after being close to this "old man", but was righteously defending a wedding where people used a bucket as a bathroom. :rotfl2: Really? Standards, people, standards.

Can we get a link?

:rotfl2:

This has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the OP being immature and lacking in compassion. As a pp stated, the op is in her 50's anyway.

For those saying that the police should have been called for a welfare check how does that work? Its not like the store can force the gentleman to wait for the police to show up and its not a crime to smell bad. Unless he was exhibiting some type of behavior that made him seem unstable, I would think the police would not be rushing over. But, I don't know and since so many seem to offer this advice just wondering how it works.

I agree with this. Youre really going to call the police for every old person that smells bad?? Simply because they smell bad and look unkempt? That’s rather insulting. Lol. Poor guy is minding his business shopping, when all of a sudden an officer comes along to ask him some questions. For me, the man would have to look obviously unkempt/homeless in order for me to call police to do a wellness check. I mean really unkempt. I wouldn’t assume he’s in distress or has alzhiemers etc simply because he smells, as other posters are suggesting (but pls correct me if im wrong).

I cannot believe an adult would write such a thing. OP, thats very immature of you. Both you and your DH should be ashamed. The post disgusts me on so many levels. I hope you smell like a bucket of roses for the rest of your life.

I wonder if it is generational thing. When I was a kid my parents had me take a bath once a week. :eek: Thinking back to m own Grandfather he was a farmer so I am sure he didn't smell that great either. :confused3 Maybe it is just a waste of water to shower or take a bath daily. I also think when I am retired what do I have to get all ready for. Maybe it is freeeing not to have society standards on you anymore.

oh another one.....maybe he was one of those dirty hippies of the 60's why change now:lmao:

I'll admit that severe body odor is unpleasant but you could have just gone elsewhere for a bit. I can't believe that you can't easily avoid someone in a place as big as a Wal-Mart. As for getting sick for an hour, are you really that sensitive? That seems a bit overly dramatic.

It's funny to me that on another thread discussing if CM's are forbidden from helping people, the OP said, "....it's sad that we have be come so sue happy in this country that we are afraid to help 1 another".

I'm wondering where the help was for this poor guy.

I don't know where the OP lives but if it is a city it could just be a street person who is mentally ill/ alcoholic/drug abuser any combination of the 3.
That with the closing of mental health units, residential facilities is now out on the street.

Yeah, her description made me think of some of the local chronic homeless population. They tend to leave a trailing cloud of odor that people avoid and obviously look much older than they are. Some of the smell that follows them is clearly decay.

The chronic homeless I've seen in stores are usually better off though. They're at least oriented and capable enough to go to the local shelter once in awhile for a shower and some help.

Even in the most extreme cases though - an hour of choking and gagging and carrying on seems excessively dramatic. Usually shifting a few feet to one side or the other is sufficient. If it isn't, use a mint or leave the store - the homeless population has enough of the deck stacked against them already, they need the cheap prices at walmart more than I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter