Body Image - I cannot see how I really look!

DVC Daisy

DIS Veteran
Ok, over several years I have lost quite a bit of weight. My size has dropped down to what I am (very temporarily) happy with at last! I finally fit into a size 4!!!!

I am VERY short, so really a size 4 is much bigger than I should be - but at least it sounds good :cool1:

My problem is, I can't tell what makes me look big & what does not & I can't really SEE how I look! I know by the charts, I am at the tip top of the "normal" range for my height. I know I need to lose about 25 more lbs to be closer to the bottom 1/3 of normal. I KNOW I am still way too heavy! :worried:

Does anyone else have a problem really SEEING themselves? I look in the mirror & think :cool1: I look at a picture & think :scared::scared::scared:

Any suggestions on how to accurately "see" myself?

Ok, over several years I have lost quite a bit of weight. My size has dropped down to what I am (very temporarily) happy with at last! I finally fit into a size 4!!!!

I am VERY short, so really a size 4 is much bigger than I should be - but at least it sounds good :cool1:

My problem is, I can't tell what makes me look big & what does not & I can't really SEE how I look! I know by the charts, I am at the tip top of the "normal" range for my height. I know I need to lose about 25 more lbs to be closer to the bottom 1/3 of normal. I KNOW I am still way too heavy! :worried:

Does anyone else have a problem really SEEING themselves? I look in the mirror & think :cool1: I look at a picture & think :scared::scared::scared:

If you are within the "normal" weight range, then you are NOT too heavy! Everyone has different body types ... not everyone can be at the "low" end of the normal weight range. And a size 4 can be healthy no matter how tall or short you are!

If you are within the "normal" weight range, then you are NOT too heavy! Everyone has different body types ... not everyone can be at the "low" end of the normal weight range. And a size 4 can be healthy no matter how tall or short you are!

Thanks :-) But this is not about what I weigh, how much I need to lose, or not lose, etc. but really just about how we see ourselves!

But I am 100% sure that I have more to lose to look like I want to look. I want to look great, not good enough. I feel like am finally at good enough (I hope), but I WANT fabulous! :thumbsup2

That is what I cannot SEE. Am I looking good enough to pull off this cute outfit, or not so much :rotfl: I really don't want to appear on What Not To Wear :lmao:

And I meant the VERY top of "normal". At 5'2", there is I giant range (30+ lbs?) between the top & bottom :confused3

I just wanted to know if I am the only one who feels that they have a problem really seeing how they look? Like when you see a picture of yourself & go .... ack!

I can't be the only one? I just want to know that good or bad, I am not alone in not being able to really SEE how I look. :confused3 Or is this terribly abnormal?

I understand completely what you mean! When you look in the mirror before you leave the house everything is in place and where it should be bit then you walk past a store window reflection or unannounced mirror and you really SEE what you look like! I have actually put on outfits, walked around and then taken a picture. That way there is no pulling at clothes or sucking in your gut! Try it!

Are you me????

I seriously have no idea what looks good on me -- and this has been a problem for most of my life. I remember looking at a wedding dress on a mannequin and thinking I couldn't pull it off, or it wouldn't fit. Luckily future DH saw me looking at it and convinced me to try it on -- it was MY dress. Fit perfectly too.

Now since I've had a kid and then major back problems, I've gained weight -- about the same as you and also 5'2". It's too much weight for me and I know it because pictures just look bad (especially from behind). So now I'm worse than I ever was.

My only solution is to never shop alone. Other than that I'm at a loss.

Thanks :-) But this is not about what I weigh, how much I need to lose, or not lose, etc. but really just about how we see ourselves!

But I am 100% sure that I have more to lose to look like I want to look. I want to look great, not good enough. I feel like am finally at good enough (I hope), but I WANT fabulous! :thumbsup2

That is what I cannot SEE. Am I looking good enough to pull off this cute outfit, or not so much :rotfl: I really don't want to appear on What Not To Wear :lmao:

And I meant the VERY top of "normal". At 5'2", there is I giant range (30+ lbs?) between the top & bottom :confused3

I just wanted to know if I am the only one who feels that they have a problem really seeing how they look? Like when you see a picture of yourself & go .... ack!

I can't be the only one? I just want to know that good or bad, I am not alone in not being able to really SEE how I look. :confused3 Or is this terribly abnormal?

I look at myself in a mirror and see a nicely shaped woman. Then look at a picture or step on the scale and get the true picture. I have much more to discard than you do.

I look at outfits on the hanger and they look so very attractive UNTIL I put them on and then nothing looks attractive.

I have resorted to asking my DH if his mother would like me in this outfit. If the answer is yes then I know it is a go if no then off it comes.

And then there is the occasional day that I just don't care what others think and I think that may radiate out of me because those are the days that EVERYONE leaves me alone.:lmao:

Are you me????

I seriously have no idea what looks good on me -- and this has been a problem for most of my life. I remember looking at a wedding dress on a mannequin and thinking I couldn't pull it off, or it wouldn't fit. Luckily future DH saw me looking at it and convinced me to try it on -- it was MY dress. Fit perfectly too.

Now since I've had a kid and then major back problems, I've gained weight -- about the same as you and also 5'2". It's too much weight for me and I know it because pictures just look bad (especially from behind). So now I'm worse than I ever was.

My only solution is to never shop alone. Other than that I'm at a loss.

Yea - I have a twin :goodvibes. Perhaps we need to shop together.

I so want to drop those last 25(?) whatever lbs! :cool1: but until then, I want to at least dress to look as best as I can, given what I do have to work with.

Yup - a shopping buddy is what I need. DH is beyond useless! No matter what I try on , 2 sizes too small, 3 sizes too big "wow - that looks great"! :rotfl2: I guess that is what 25 years of being married gives you - DH is playing it safe, but not helpful when I want an honest answer. ::yes::

I have a great shopping buddy - very reliable, but she has been traveling for 6 weeks & I need help! pixiedust:

I look at myself in a mirror and see a nicely shaped woman. Then look at a picture or step on the scale and get the true picture. I have much more to discard than you do.

EXACTLY what I was trying to find out - am I the only one? I am so glad to hear I am not alone.

I just can't judge how I look. I KNOW what my # on the scale needs to be from past experience, and I am so not there yet - quite always to go to get there. But then the cute outfits call & I can fit in them. So, SHOULD I???? :rotfl2:

One of my favorite lines on What Not To Wear.... Just because you can wear something, does not necessarily mean you should! :clown:

:confused::confused::confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter