• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Body books for Young Girls

LuvBaloo

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for recommendations on good books about bodies and puberty for my DD7. She isn't showing any curiousity yet, but she's tall for her age and I'm don't want her to be an early bloomer and not be aware. I know there's lots of books out there, and I think something written for kids with pictures will be simplest for me. She is a very visual child and loves books, so if anybody has any suggestions that would be great! :goodvibes

I recommend checking out the book by American Girl called something like The Care and Keeping of You.

Yep... that's the one I was going to recommend. I used it with my 9 yo and am starting it with my 7 yo.

Wow ... brilliant minds and all that. I whole-heartedly say the American Girl book others mentioned as well. I bought it from my daughter and "hid" it in the bathroom to give to her when she was 8 or 9. She found it as a 7 year old and promptly un-hid it. She's 10 now and stil refers to it!

Another vote for AG! DD now 15 was an early bloomer too and really enjoyed having that as a reference. They also have a good book about skin/hair care and friends. Guess I should pull those out for DD9 now.

Absolutely American Girls "The Care and Keeping Of You"! The best out of all the books I checked over for my daughter a few years back.
I ordered mine from Chapters.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a 10 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I'm going to buy the book. :thumbsup2

i will also recommend the care and keeping of you, my dd is 9 and entering puberty but still very little girlish, this is the only book i found that didnt get into sex but still explained everything else. she loves it, didnt freak out or anything

I agree w/ everybody else LOL. For parents of kids w/ special needs, I'll add that it's been a great book for me to use w/ DD9 who has high functioning autism and other disabilities.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a 10 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I'm going to buy the book. :thumbsup2

I really liked the Care and Keeping of Me, but at 10, you really need to go beyond hygiene. That book doesn't even deal with menstruation. At 10, my kids get pretty much all the information they'll need throughout JH/HS (it's MUCH easier discussing it before puberty, when they don't want to talk to you). We use the book It's So Amazing, which talks about puberty, sex, birth control, STD's, homosexuality, masterbation, etc., (but surprisingly omits oral sex, so I was on my own there). Most childhood experts recommend discussing these subjects before the child turns double digits. Now that my kids are a bit older, we can talk about these issues without embarrassment on either of our parts. I was very surprised at what my kids knew (and thought they knew) at 10, from other kids.

I really liked the Care and Keeping of Me, but at 10, you really need to go beyond hygiene. That book doesn't even deal with menstruation. At 10, my kids get pretty much all the information they'll need throughout JH/HS (it's MUCH easier discussing it before puberty, when they don't want to talk to you). We use the book It's So Amazing, which talks about puberty, sex, birth control, STD's, homosexuality, masterbation, etc., (but surprisingly omits oral sex, so I was on my own there). Most childhood experts recommend discussing these subjects before the child turns double digits. Now that my kids are a bit older, we can talk about these issues without embarrassment on either of our parts. I was very surprised at what my kids knew (and thought they knew) at 10, from other kids.

It's So Amazing is, I think, a "watered down" version of my favorite book, It's Perfectly Normal. We used that book when we moved past the need for a basic hygiene book and into needing information about sexuality in all its forms. Both of my daughters loved this book and it led to many great conversations.

I found that you can expose a child to written material and use it as a starting point for a discussion about your own beliefs and morals.

Now, years later, both of my girls laughed and said the thing they remembered most was the page with the naked bodies on it (in cartoon format) and how they and everyone they knew had matched up all the naked boys with all the naked girls( there are cartoon pictures of all sorts of body sizes and colors, from a very young girl to an old woman, thin to overweight, etc.) I knew they had done that because I remember listening to them outside their door!!

I also think The Care and Keeping of You is a GREAT starter book. For the record it DOES go into menstration (WARNING__MAY BE TMI: even an illustrated guide on how to wear a tampon which is done quite well).

The next step up would be It's So Amazing and then It's Perfectly Normal (we just skipped over It's So Amazing all together--but my kidew grew up knowing the mechanics of making babies so it was not really needed and I tend to err on the side of too much info so I know skipping that one and moving into the last is not for everyone).

All 3 are excellent books.

I also think The Care and Keeping of You is a GREAT starter book. For the record it DOES go into menstration (WARNING__MAY BE TMI: even an illustrated guide on how to wear a tampon which is done quite well).

The next step up would be It's So Amazing and then It's Perfectly Normal (we just skipped over It's So Amazing all together--but my kidew grew up knowing the mechanics of making babies so it was not really needed and I tend to err on the side of too much info so I know skipping that one and moving into the last is not for everyone).

All 3 are excellent books.

I always meant to get It's Perfectly Normal, and might for the younger ones when they're a little older, but is there anything in it that I might not have covered with my 2 older kids? Maybe I'll check it out at Barnes and Noble.

I always meant to get It's Perfectly Normal, and might for the younger ones when they're a little older, but is there anything in it that I might not have covered with my 2 older kids? Maybe I'll check it out at Barnes and Noble.

Honestly we accidently left It's Perfectly Normal in the U.S. when we moved (we only had 16 suitcases so we really had to pick and choose but I did intend for it to come) and I will get a replacement copy next time I am in the states (it is the kind of "reference" I like to have always available) so I am working off of memory here.
I think it would be great for your older kids. It is written with young teens/teens in mind and covers EVERYTHING (intercourse, masterbation, same sex couples, STDs, protection, oral sex, etc.). It is really very thourough. It might well cover things you haven't--or cover it differently--or be something they can look at when they have a question and are too embarrassed to ask, etc. Most people who do not like it do not like it because it does cover so very much. It is worth looking through when you are at the library or bookstore to see if it one you would want.

Basically It's So Amazing covers the Birds and the Bees
It's Perfectly Normal covers all the issues that go along with sexual activity (big on protecting from diseases and explaining how activites otehr than just basic intercourse can also put one at risk).

I think I'll get the Care and Keeping of You for now, since my oldest DDis only 7, and I'll think about the other ones for later. My girls haven't really shown any interest in the birds and the bees. They know babies come out of Mommies and they haven't shown any curiousity about anything else.

I think I'll get the Care and Keeping of You for now, since my oldest DDis only 7, and I'll think about the other ones for later. My girls haven't really shown any interest in the birds and the bees. They know babies come out of Mommies and they haven't shown any curiousity about anything else.

Not according to my son, who at 3.5 told me to stop being a trickster when I told him that babies come out of their Mummies tummies, he declared, they do not they come from the shop......

No telling him could get him to believe me. Might try again if we get pregnant.

Kirsten

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter