BOC Bar Final Bill

vlkleinh

Mouseketeer
Grr...this might just be a vent. We had our 11am-3pm awesome reception in The Attic. The day was a bit odd to us in the at the end, we felt like no one was really drinking..most people were just chilling out, getting a caricature...chatting...it was nice. 20 adults, 6 kids under 6. At least 4 adults not drinking (or so we thought). So, we thought our bar bill wasn't going to be that big. We didn't really care what it was...but we chose BOC so that we only paid for what was actually drank.

We got our final bill today and it said that we had consumed 105 alcholic drinks in total. This would mean that between 16 drinking adults, each guest averaged 6.5 drinks. This is a lot non?

So my question is ...did any of you have discrepancies in your bar bill? Would we have been charged for bottles that had been opened?

It's a couple hundred dollars more than expected...no big deal in the grand scheme...but we just don't want to feel like WE needed to keep better track of what people were drinking.

As far as I can think of, there is no way for us to prove that less was consumed.

???

A similar thing happened with milk at the DP. I was told they were BOC...1 was on our BEO @ 4.25. In the end, the kids all stayed home and the adults either drank beer from the UK pub or coffee/hot chocolate. We were charged for 4 containers of milk....we only had 16 people at the DP, so it wasn't really hard to see that no one was drinking milk.

Again..there is no way for us to prove this now.

Hhmmm... that is odd about the milk. All I can think is that maybe people used the BOC milk in their coffee instead of using the creamer? I'm such a tightwad, I'd be combing through pictures from the dessert party looking for proof that no one opened any! :rotfl:

As for the reception, you are charged for any opened bottles, unfortunately. Also, Disney warns that people are apt to open drinks, lose/forget about them, and then go get more, which may be what happened at your wedding. What a drag!

Lurkyloo....any idea how many glasses of wine are in a bottle? I could prob dig this info out somewhere. It just says "house wine" on our bill...45 glasses!

So, I really feel like this would have mean that everyone drinking wine chose a different type and then didn't finish the bottle. lol..whatever I guess...but it's really bothering me!

Oh...and the opened bottles thing...that's just for wine right? ...or would we get charged for other types of alcohol (ie. vodka)? The bartender even admitted to having brought a concoction from some other event...some people tried it just for kicks...but I bet someone else paid for that along the line already!

ha...as if this is irritating me so much.

Well, the only time you have to pay for the whole opened bottle is if A) it's a specially requested brand of liquor not on Disney's list or B) if you arrange to buy the wine by the bottle—meaning that instead of offering a bar with a number of different wines and letting people get anything on the list, you ask for X number of bottles of a certain kind(s) of wine and then Disney charges you for however many are opened.

So in your case you were just billed for however many individual glasses of wine people took from the bar, which may be where the "setting it down, forgetting it, and getting another" thing came into play.

If it really does bother you, I say talk to your planner about it. I guess the only proof is whatever the bartender wrote down, but maybe they could just look at the calculations again and be sure there was no error.

Thanks Lurkyloo.

Okay...So of the guests we know for sure:

guest 1 - 1 glass of red wine
guest 2 - 2 diet cokes, 1 blue drink with vodka (hm. I wonder if the blue drink had extra alcohol in it...and therefore they charged us the wine price??)
guest 3 - 3 import beer, 1 domestic
guest 4 - underage...not drinking (pop)
guest 5 - coffee
guest 6 - 1 coca cola
guest 7 - 4-6 beers
6 kids under six...all drinking juice or water.

So...this leaves us with 13 guests not accounted for and 92 alcoholic drinks..plus some pop and water. That means that every single other guest drank at least 7 alcholic drinks. I'd buy the "setting the drinks" down thing for a few...but it was the attic...our group was very small...it's not like anyone's drink was getting lost.

I have emailed my planner and the billing folks..who say they will check with the food & beverage folks.

Ok...so with all of our guests polled but 4, 2 glasses of wine are accounted for. I think this can eliminate the idea that 43 glasses of wine were put down and forgotten about. I still don't have a response from Disney, although I did already get back my deposit (according to the bill in question). I'm wondering if the bartender wrote 4, then maybe someone ordered wine last minute...and forgot to scratch out the 4...so it looked like 45. Geez. I wish now that I had asked the bar totals at the end of the reception.

V
and ps. I am happy that I hadn't lost my mind and somehow missed our entire guest list getting hammered at brunch.

guest 1 (an aunt) - 1 glass of red wine
guest 2 (bride) - 2 diet cokes, 1 blue drink with vodka (hm. I wonder if the blue drink had extra alcohol in it...and therefore they charged us the wine price??)
guest 3 (groom) - 3 import beer, 1 domestic
guest 4 - underage...not drinking (pop)
guest 5 (parent) coffee
guest 6 - (bridal party partner) 1 coca cola
guest 7 (bridal party)- 4-6 beers
Guest 8 (bridal party) - 1 diet coke, 1 mixed drink
Guest 9 (parent) - 4-6 beers
Guest 10 (parent) - 4-5 beers
Guest 11 - 2 glasses of wine, 1 import beer (just added this...this was one of the missing 4)
Guest 12 (cousin) - ?
Guest 13 (friend)- ?
Guest 14 (friend) - ?
Guest 15 - beer only
Guest 16 - mixed drinks
Guest 17 (bridal party)- 2 mixed drinks, beer
Guest 18 - (bridal party spouse) beer only (4-6)
Guest 19 - 1 glass of wine, mixed drinks
Guest 20 - beer .NO WINE.
6 kids under six...all drinking juice or water.

Okay. 3 guests left...so far 4 glasses of wine accounted for.

All I can say is: Good luck. If there was an error along the way, I doubt Disney will correct it willingly. If you do have to fight to get money back, may I suggest asking to speak directly to management and skipping the three or four conversations with your planner - who won't be able to fix it anyway.

I think I am dealing with whoever sent me the bill. They said they are waiting on a response for backup from food and beverage.

3 more glasses of wine accounted for (5 total)...so we are only 40 glasses out with two guests a mystery.

at $7 plus a glass, that's roughly $300 of wine...probably more than I have spent on wine in my life. lol.

I wish this did not happen. We are planning on going to Disney for a honeymoon in March...but I think the few things that have happened like this along the wedding planning route will deter me/us from going completely head over heals for WDW. It's really too bad too, because the day was great..and our planner did an excellent job. There seemed to be problems when other people/depts. came into play.

Please keep us up to date with what happens. After my recent experience with the legendary customer service of Disney, I'm curious to see how other departments handle issues when they arise.

I really do hope things work out, without any hassles or having to fight for your rights. :flower3:

I'm curious to hear how this comes out too. I am planning on a similar event, with a similar amount of people in 2012 and trying to decide between BOC or a flat rate per person.
We will have approx. 24 adults and 7 children (under age 9) with several wine drinkers.

Still "awaiting back up from food and beverage". Not sure how long that will take. I'll keep you all posted.

Okay. No one told me exactly what happened, but Disney credited me the money I felt was incorrectly charged for drinks. So...way to go Disney for getting it right. I ended up dealing with a different person (prob. someone who deals with billing errors). She just emailed me one day (it took a couple weeks, and a bit of harassing) and said she had the authorization to credit a certain amount to my credit card on file. They ended up only charging me for one container of milk and 5 glasses of wine.

Except for the lack of communication throughout, I feel happy with the resolution!

Yay!

Okay. No one told me exactly what happened, but Disney credited me the money I felt was incorrectly charged for drinks. So...way to go Disney for getting it right. I ended up dealing with a different person (prob. someone who deals with billing errors). She just emailed me one day (it took a couple weeks, and a bit of harassing) and said she had the authorization to credit a certain amount to my credit card on file. They ended up only charging me for one container of milk and 5 glasses of wine.

Except for the lack of communication throughout, I feel happy with the resolution!

Yay!

Yay! Total bummer you had to deal with it in the first place, but I'm glad they fixed it!!

That's wonderful! I'm so glad they stepped up and corrected the error and that everything has worked out okay. :thumbsup2 Thanks for keeping us updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter