BOB or Ergo?

RachSal

Earning My Ears
So we are going on our first trip with kids in about 6 months (yay!!!) I am the planner and had always thought we would bring our BOB revolution and put an Ergo carrier under it in case DD3 needed to be carried while DS5 wanted to ride in the jogging stroller. Last night on our walk DH says he thinks we should just bring 2 Ergos and try to pack lighter. I had not really considered this and challenged him with where will we put snacks and water and changes of clothes and ponchos and... and.... and.... you get the point. Then I couldn't help but wonder am I over packing for in the park? I was planning on using one of my old large diaper bags to hold the stuff that isn't super valuable and leaving it on the stroller. DH said that he didn't think we should bring any more than we could put in the Ergo pockets. The 5 year old will probably be doing a lot of walking, but the 3 year old isn't as good at staying with us. Sorry this got so long. Which way would you do it, or do you have some other suggestion?

I would not rely on just an ergo. We do the back pack rule. We bring one back pack of stuff into the park. If it doesn't fit we don't need it and leave it. Usually it's a change of clothing, some water, ponchos only if it's suppose to rain and some snacks. We had room to spare last time. I may end up buying and extra snack or water bottle but worth it

I would take both. We are going in 2 weeks and ODS is 7 and YDS is 3 1/2. I'm taking both. We like having the stroller so the youngest can sleep and to put snacks and a change of clothes in it. I carry everything of value in a bag.

I always bring a change of clothes for the boys. There is lots of water stuff, plus you never know who will have an accident. Sunscreen, water, a few snacks etc. At this time I couldn't go without a bag!

Also, even if they walk a lot at home, Disney is a whole different thing. We went last summer and I actaully rented a double (ODS was 5 1/2) It was hot, he got tired and actually napped in it a few times....he never naps! A few times YDS was asleep and one of us would find a shady spot while one went with ODS.

I don't find the stroller that inconvient, yes a slight pain on and off the bus, but when they and you are tired it can be a life saver! Don't forget that if they are tired you could be carrying them a while!!

I agree with Gracie. My guy was great in the stroller (his first time at 6 months) and gave our backs a break but didn't want to go to sleep or wanted to be held so we then used the ergo and it was great for that but then when he wanted to have a snack or get squirmy, he'd go back in the stroller and was very happy. Good luck!!

People won't agree with me, but I would rent a disney double stroller. No folding it to get on the bus. Kids are located in one place, in front of you. Your bag, will fit between them. When it rains, we just covered the entire stroller with kids in it. We would gift it to another family entering the park. We would pick up another one at the next park.

I have brought our own single strollers, baby carriers, double strollers, etc. I could not wait to get to the point where I did not have to drag all this stuff on the bus.

Last trip the 2 youngers were 3 and 6 (turned 6 on the trip). We rented the double, and brought 1 back pack with 7 poncho's, 2 waters, and no change of clothes, as the kids did not need them, autograph books for younger 2, pens, and a few packs of crackers. I believe that was all. Some days, we left the backpack, some days we took it.

I agree with all the PPs.
You should def bring a stroller. I find the stroller more of a help than an inconvenience.
I think carrying around a 5 year old in an Ergo would get tiresome after only a little while.
When we went last month, I was surprised at how much DD walked. She'll be 3 in Jan. But she did ask to sit in the stroller for snacks/drinks and just for a break.
Maybe buy or borrow a used stroller that is smaller or lighter than your current one.
We bought a used Combi on ebay for $30. It folds small and easily, reclines and has a decent canopy and was in great condition. Well worth the $ for us.

Sheaboys-how did you keep them from finding water LOL!!! I swear mine are attracted to it! THe spray park in MK last year was a hit. Some water fountain outside a bathroom in AK! There were 2 days they end up soaked!!

Ergos aren't really designed for 5 year olds.... Just because they have a weight limit doesn't mean you can put any kid that weighs less in them.

There is no way *I* would take a 3 year old to WDW without a stroller. We took our kids to DL when they were newly 6 and about to turn 3 and it would have been a disaster for us without the stroller. DD was still napping at the time so she napped in the stroller. We had an inline double (Phil & Ted's Sport) and DS actually fell asleep in it the night we stayed until midnight for Mickey's Halloween Party. We went again when our youngest was 11 months, DD was almost 5 and DS was 8. That time we took a side by side Mountain Buggy double and my Beco carrier. On our 4th day even my 8 year old needed a break so I carried the baby and the older 2 rode.

Before we had kids we went to WDW with my SIL and BIL and their 4 kids, ages 18 months, 3, 5 and 11. They brought a single crappy umbrella stroller and after the first day of that they gave up and rented a Disney double. The 3 year old just could NOT keep up.

Take 1 stroller and 1 Ergo. We did run into our 2.5 year old refusing to ride in the stroller and refusing to walk and having to be carried in the sling. Since I wasn't used to slinging him at that point, this wasn't exactly easy but it was the only way we could handle it. Our 5 year old was going to walk the entire time - and I know she could have handled it. After a while, we realized we were pushing an empty stroller so we let the 5 year old have a ride. It made it so our pace was much faster. Also, it's really nice to have a place to stash some stuff!

On one trip, our middle child was 3 years old. So the 11 month old got the sling and the 3 year old got the stroller. Though she has amazing endurance, she needed the security the stroller gave her. I think she could have walked and been okay - but she has always had better endurance than the average child despite being petite. But there's a lot of things going on at Disney and she felt safest sitting in the stroller. So, even for a child who is a great walker, a stroller can be a nice place to hide out if needed.

I think you're more than covered with the Ergo and the stroller both. I would have taken just the stroller and not the sling on the trip with a 2.5 year old and 5 year old if I knew the 2.5 year old would have sat in the stroller. (We don't usually use a stroller. I did a practice beforehand and it did not go well - so I threw the sling in just in case, and was so glad I did!)

Thank you all for re-enforcing what I thought in the first place. DH made me doubt myself, but I have been doing the research. If worst comes to worst we will have both Ergos and a smaller stroller since we are taking our camper (staying at fort wilderness) and we can change it up if we need to while we are there.

we leave in 10 days with our 16.5 month old - we are bringing the Ergo for DH, Beco for me and we rented the city mini. 2 carriers bc I think it is a PITA to adjust and readjust when we are both using it. I feel like we could probably do the parks switching off in carriers but I think he might like having a little independance in the stroller. Plus if he wants to nap I think he'd be more comfy?

I did buy a few of those velcro cup/snack holders for the stroller so that if he tosses cup/snack cup we won't have to chase it :):cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter