Boat from DTD to POR :(

CindyIsMyFave

DIS Veteran
This was on our to-do list, so we did it tonight to see Yeeha Bob for the first time. I thought the ride was noisy and completely unrelaxing. All you could hear was the engine. The music was drowned out - except when he docked. DH and I had to shout to talk, as did everyone else.

I'm wondering if we just had a Speedy Gonzalez captain b/c we kept "bumping into" other boats at the docks. And - he arrived at DTD for a pickup well before a 10 min. circuit was up. So maybe he just likes to go fast? That or our boat needed a tuneup!

I just wanted to post b/c we were disappointed. So, like anything, an experience can be poor if you have a less than stellar CM or equipment.

JohnO said:
You don't go on boats very often I take it....
I was gonna say the same thing. Lol. Perhaps a bus would be better for you. Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

The boat ride is much noisier than I expected as well (and i am around boats a lot). However, I wish we had speedy gonzales driver. Ours the other day was so slow and when he docked at POFQ to pickup people there, he stood on the dock for a good seven minutes talking to another boat driver. It was over 100degrees out and no wind and we were all sweltering. Finally some woman yelled out "can we go" and he finally got back in boat and we took off. Maybe he was ahead of schedule, but I think some consideration should be given to the temperatures and the sitting passengers. I think it is a nice option in the evening and when you are not in a rush, but I think next time if its during the day, I will take the bus

We love the boat ride to DTD! That one of the best parts of staying at POFQ/POR!! It sure beats the bus! :goodvibes Mind you this was 2005 and before. Maybe it's time for them to check the engines or maybe replace them. We'll be there again next year, so hopefully it's smooth "sailing". :)

Ya, the boat is going to be rather loud. It's not a gondola. Although that could be kinda neat :).

OP should write Disney and ask for their money back for the boat ride.

... Oh, it's free Disney transportation. NEVER MIND!

Good grief guys. Grew up boating in FL actually. But when an experience is described as "so relaxing" and even "romantic" on many a post, I expected something different. I simply would not describe our ride as either. Was it a nice change of pace? Sure. But it was built up on here a different way, so my expectations were different.

POOHsie said:
OP should write Disney and ask for their money back for the boat ride.

... Oh, it's free Disney transportation. NEVER MIND!

This is particularly cute. I think I know now why I'm not on the resort board very often.

Good grief guys. Grew up boating in FL actually. But when an experience is described as "so relaxing" and even "romantic" on many a post, I expected something different. I simply would not describe our ride as either. Was it a nice change of pace? Sure. But it was built up on here a different way, so my expectations were different.

Hmm. I'm not sure I would ever call in romantic, but I do find the boat ride much more relaxing than the bus ride. I'm sorry you feel a bit misled, but did I don't think I would ever call any type of public transportation romantic.

OP: I do think you got some tongue in cheek comments that maybe sounded a bit harsh. But some of us really love those boats even though we know they are just another form of public transportation.

The boat is loud, but we really enjoy it. The boats that POR, POFQ, OKW and SSR use to DTD are all different I think than the boats used at the monorail resorts over to the MK. But we do really enjoy them and they are a big factor and plus to us when we stay at those resorts.

I am appalled he ran into other boats? That is unacceptable and dangerous. I have had drivers that hit the docks a bit more than others but never a boat at the dock.

I will say that the boats between the Epcot resorts and Epcot and DHS are also very loud and being inside with the barely felt ac is like being in a stuffy oven. I hate those boats and rarely take them. The open air boats at the DTD resorts are much more to my liking.

At least you have now tried something you have been wanting to try and can say for yourself its a go or no go! I do think any "beauty" in WDW transporation is in the eyes of the beholder. I for one find the monorail to be the most overrated form of transporation at WDW. I think the resorts on the monorail are great for many things but the monorail isn't one of them in my book. Just me I know. But the smell alone inside those monorails is not something I look forward to. And I have had the bad luck to sit in one for about a half hour once or twice when they were experiencing problems. So like you, when I see people tout them, I scratch my head and wonder why!

The boat ride is much noisier than I expected as well (and i am around boats a lot). However, I wish we had speedy gonzales driver. Ours the other day was so slow and when he docked at POFQ to pickup people there, he stood on the dock for a good seven minutes talking to another boat driver. It was over 100degrees out and no wind and we were all sweltering. Finally some woman yelled out "can we go" and he finally got back in boat and we took off. Maybe he was ahead of schedule, but I think some consideration should be given to the temperatures and the sitting passengers. I think it is a nice option in the evening and when you are not in a rush, but I think next time if its during the day, I will take the bus

Lmao what day was this?!?! If it was 8/30 then the lady that said "can we go" was me!!!!

And to the OP, I also laughed at this post because we have stayed at POR two years now and we decided to take the boat home one night from downtown. I don't know what I expected, but it was not what it was. I likes that it was different than a bus and it was nice to see ssr, however that was it.

Sorry you were disappointed.

I have been on many boats over the years and have to agree with other posters, I don't think they were any less quite than the Disney boats. The boat ride has always been enjoyable to us. It's the only mode of transportation we took to and from DTD.

We loved our boat ride and can't wait to do it again in February. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I am appalled he ran into other boats? That is unacceptable and dangerous. I have had drivers that hit the docks a bit more than others but never a boat at the dock.

I don't think the OP meant he literally HIT another boat (at least I hope not!) I took it to mean that when they arrived at a dock, a boat was already there, so he was catching up to boats ahead of them on the route, which lead the OP to question if the driver was going faster than normal. I think that would have been a larger complaint than the noise issue!

DH and I usually enjoy the boats when we've stayed at POR. They are loud, but I think they're more relaxing than the buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter