Boardwalk Vs AKL Jambo? Or somewhere else?

Wendydagny

Mouseketeer
I'm taking my daughter on a surprise trip for her 12th birthday from 11/19-11/26. This is not her first trip to disney by any means. Her favorite resort is the poly, but staying there doesn't make sense with the current discounted rates I can get elsewhere. In terms if price, I'm looking at either AKL, BWI or WL. She doesn't do rustic, so the latter is probably out. AKL saves about $300, but I love the idea of BWI. My concerns there are a) I've heard it's noisy, b) we don't love the friendship boats, c) my youngest dd (also traveling with us) is disabled and needs lots of medical deliveries, which I've heard is now a pain since it's a convention resort.

For AKL I'm just concerned re buses.

Where would you stay?

noisy - just don't get a bw view -
you don't have to take the boats - you can definitely walk to both EPcot and studios - but try the boat at least once.
BW has always been a convention hotel. what's the pain?

AKL/V isn't so bad - now if you are going mainly for the MK - definitely go with WL. but if you are going to other parks then AKL/V is only a few minutes further out than CSR or the All stars resorts.

I was typing late at night, I meant to say a pain, not now a pain. When we stayed at both GF and CR we had issue with packages. First we had to argue to get the by weight fee waived at the contemporary (not at GF), and they refused.

Second, the packages have to be released during business center hours, which can be an issue when waiting for overnighted IV solutions that can't wait an extra day in holding. So you have to basically arrange to be at the hotel for an extended period hanging out waiting for a box instead of just having it delivered when you arrive back from the parks in the evening.

Third, at the contemporary they insisted that I had to come transport the boxes to my room myself because they don't do that. The boxes are very heavy and I'm pushing a kiddo in a wheelchair.

I realize that's a novel on package pickup woes and sorry.

In general the tourist bloggers knock the boardwalk and love akl. Unfortunately my daughter really is not a WL fan.

BW hands down. Light airy rooms, little in room noise, more food options, MUCH closer to the parks.

Hard choice, love both. Actually our two favorite resorts!

BW for location, location, location. We visit HS and Ep more than MK, though. For AK and MK, the buses from BW are about equivalent to those from Jambo (because they also stop at other resorts). The rooms are light and airy, as a PP has said. Have not had to do package delivery.

AKL for overall ambiance. Goes beyond "just" the animals. Love the way the lobby looks and smells, love interacting with the CMs from Africa, love the gift shop and restaurants. If you choose here, I recommend a pool view room - not much more expensive than standard, and keeps you close to the lobby for easy access.

Have fun choosing!

We stayed at BWV in 2013 and never had an issue with noise. We had a pool view, which I'm sure is a bit quieter than a Boardwalk view and still had no noise issues. Transportation was very easy too even without the boats.

We absolutely love the Boardwalk! The proximity to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios is great. That being said, if your kids don't like either of those parks then it probably won't be that convenient for you.

I've stayed at both and like others have said, I think it depends on your park preferences. One room I had at BW was a little noisy because it looked right out over the clown pool but you could request not having that view. Otherwise, I don't think the other times I've stayed there it has been any more noisy than other resorts. As far as package delivery if you have to pick it up yourself, which I think you would have to do at any of the disney resorts, I'm thinking AKL might be the better choice. Jambo house didn't seem to be as big as BW to me, BW hallways remind me of the scene from that Jack Nicholson movies, I always expect to see twins standing at the end. That may be perception on my part but it didn't seem so far to walk at AKL to get to the room. The buses at both resorts were pretty much the same, a bus is a bus is a bus at Disney, pretty much hit or miss. If it's less expensive I would probably go with AKL unless ya'll are big Epcot/HS fans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter