boardwalk view and smoking

pixiechick

<font color=teal>will work for disney dollars<br><
Are any of the Boardwalk view rooms smoking? I'm planning a stay with my in-laws, who smoke. I reserved 2 studios and requested that one or both be smoking. (Both if necessary, to keep us close together.) MS booked the rooms without comment. I recently read somewhere on here that all of the Boardwalk rooms were nonsmoking. I checked my confirmations and there is no mention of smoking preference which leads me to believe that there is no choice.

Does anyone know for sure? I may have to ask MS to switch one of the rooms to preferred, non Boardwalk with smoking allowed. Which floors are smoking at BWV?

The other option is to convince them to smoke in other allowed areas. I know they won't be thrilled with that choice though. Smoking on the balcony is a no-no, right? Where are they allowed to smoke?

Thanks for the help! We don't smoke and have no idea about any of this!

Let me start out by stating that I do not know for sure.

However, I cannot believe that all of the BW view rooms are non-smoking. It is possible that all of the BW Grand Villas are non-smoking, but I doubt it.

All of the smoking rooms at BWV are on the second floor (lobby level). But not all of the second floor rooms are smoking. That I do know for sure.

While many here strongly prefer that no one smoke on the balcony of non-smoking rooms, it is not prohibited. In fact, the front desk CMs will tell you that it is OK.

My advice to you is to call the resort directly and ask if there are any smoking studio rooms with a Boardwalk view. The resort front desk employees / room assigners are the ones who will know for sure. Based on the info they give you, you can decide what you want to do as far as changing (or not) to a preferred Garden/Pool view.

FWIW, if I were in your position, I would just plan on asking the smokers to smoke outside on the balcony. I wouldn't give up the opportunity for a BW view. And this is coming from someone who positively HATES to be around smokers. But sometimes, you just have to deal with other people's bad habits, especially if they are family!

Enjoy the trip!!

I know of atlease one studio BW view that is smoking, so it is possible. But, that studio is handicap and is part of a 2BR, so it may be difficult to get.

See that's interesting California Dreaming. When I made my BW view ressies for July, I has asked (as I always do) for a guaranteed non-smoking room, since my DS has asthma. The CM told me that it wasn't necessary to note (he did though) since all BW rooms are non-smoking. If I were you pixiechick, I'd call MS tomorrow morning. Get their take on this and if they say all BW view rooms are non-smoking, I'd probably move the smokers so they can feel more comfortable.

As a non-smoker, I'd give the nod to smoking on the balcony if that solves your problem. Yes, there's the possibility that a waft of second-hand smoke would bother somebody on the next balcony, which is something to be careful and courteous about. But the most important thing is to keep the smell and the allergens from smoking out of the room furnishings, where they could distress the next occupant.

::MinnieMo
Keeping in mind people who require a non-smoking room because of severe allergies, I beg you to please, please, please contact MS and place "smoking" as your first preference on the rooms and be sure to get it on your confirmation. When smoking people stay in non-smoking rooms, all their clothing, etc. creates a lasting residue, plus some smoke from the balcony could always get into the room, as well. Your vacation will be so much more relaxed if you are in a smoking room and you do not have to constantly remind your guests where they can or can't smoke.

Thanks everyone! As I said, we don't smoke so we've never thought about it.

For the non-smokers out there, don't worry! They would never smoke if it is not allowed. I just want them to enjoy their stay as much as possible.

I'll definately call and ask. I assumed, correctly, someone around here would have a suggestion!

Any idea about where they can smoke "legally" outside of the room. With current legislation, I'm not sure where it's okay and where it isn't! At least in the parks, we can use the maps to find a smoking area.

When booking a Grand Villa this week, which I understand are all BW view, I was asked whether I wanted smoking or non, so I must assume there is at least one smoking Grand Villa.

I thought I heard there was one smoking GV but they changed it to non-smoking because there was low demand for smoking. I think "smoking or non-smoking" is a standard question MS asks, I wouldn't take it as an indication of anything since it is a request, not a room category. MS deals with so many resorts, it would be difficult for them to remember which has what.

There are BWV smoking rooms in all the various villa sizes, and all the views: standard, preferred and boardwalk. I know this because I have had smoking rooms at BWV many times. I often travel with a smoker and we have had smoking rooms in all the different views and size villas at BWV. I just returned from WDW and BWV has smoking rooms, whomever was told they do not was talking to a CM that was misinformed.

Originally posted by pixiechick
Thanks everyone! As I said, we don't smoke so we've never thought about it.

For the non-smokers out there, don't worry! They would never smoke if it is not allowed. I just want them to enjoy their stay as much as possible.

I'll definately call and ask. I assumed, correctly, someone around here would have a suggestion!

Any idea about where they can smoke "legally" outside of the room. With current legislation, I'm not sure where it's okay and where it isn't! At least in the parks, we can use the maps to find a smoking area.

You can smoke legally outside on the balcony, any open area, unless marked otherwise and in designated areas in the parks.
To date there are no mandates against open air smoking outside the parks.
All FL restaurants are non smoking. Thank goodness ( I smoke but hate it around my food).

I missed calling MS today, so I called BWV directly this evening. I got the front desk and then was connected to "Chuck" (a room assigner maybe?) I mentioned that I had conflicting information about the status of Boardwalk view rooms. He confirmed that all Boardwalk view rooms were nonsmoking. He said that the confusion may be because they are continuously decreasing the number of smoking rooms. Currently, according to Chuck, only 3% of BWV rooms are smoking. I guess some smoking rooms have been redefined as nonsmoking.

So, I'm thinking maybe we should try to switch them to a reg. preferred view. Figures! I manage to get two Boardwalk view rooms at 7 months out and now have to give one back! :headache: Someone on the waitlist should be happy!
No matter what--I'm keeping my Boardwalk view! :p

Originally posted by pixiechick
I missed calling MS today, so I called BWV directly this evening. I got the front desk and then was connected to "Chuck" (a room assigner maybe?) I mentioned that I had conflicting information about the status of Boardwalk view rooms. He confirmed that all Boardwalk view rooms were nonsmoking. He said that the confusion may be because they are continuously decreasing the number of smoking rooms. Currently, according to Chuck, only 3% of BWV rooms are smoking. I guess some smoking rooms have been redefined as nonsmoking......(snip)........ :p

Wow! This is a surprise to me (but not an unwelcome one). :D Thanks for taking the time to post what Chuck told you.

That 3% figure kind of makes me wonder what percentage of DVC owners actually are smokers? :confused:

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

I really hope they are not making the % of smoking rooms too small of a %, because this may very lead to guests smoking in non smoking rooms either with or without permission from the CMs. CMs have been known to tell guests to smoke in non smoking rooms and even have housekeeping bring up ashtrays for their use!!

I really hope they are not making the % of smoking rooms too small of a %, because this may very lead to guests smoking in non smoking rooms either with or without permission from the CMs. CMs have been known to tell guests to smoke in non smoking rooms and even have housekeeping bring up ashtrays for their use!!

BWVDee -- I agree with you regarding the % of smoking rooms because I want the NON-smoking rooms to stay strictly smoke-free. If they get the % of smoking rooms too few, they will continue to have people smoking in our NON rooms. When we stay at Marriott villas, they have non-smoking buildings and smoking-optional buildings...not necessarily a possiblity here at Disney when the villas are only one building at some of the resorts.

Wow, that's strange that they would do that. The villa I was thinking about was 2047 and 2049, a studio and one-bedroom, both handicap accessible, that is/was smoking optional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter