• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boardwalk v. Saratoga Springs

HulaHoopy

Mouseketeer
I am planning a trip for May 2011 with my DS3.5 and DD2. I am trying to decide between the BWV and SSR. I like the closeness of the Boardwalk to the parks, but I think the pool/slides would be better for my kids at SSR. Any thoughts?

We're staying at BW in Oct. There is SO much to do at that resort. That and the closeness to Epcot were the deciding factors. There is a TON of things to do at this resort. Very family friendly and right in the heart of it. You'll love it. I have to say, last trip, we ate dinner at SSR and though dinner was great, the resort is VERY spread out. It's not easy to get around and I felt like of all the resorts, its' the most plain. I can't say enough about BW! :thumbsup2

We have stayed at both and we love both! That's a tough choice! If you plan to spend a lot of time at Epcot then the boardwalk is the way to go. We enjoyed how close SSR is to DTD and we liked taking the boat there. The kids also really loved high rock springs pool!

There's certainly a lot to do at BW for people of all ages. There is also a pool slide that your kids should enjoy. About the only thing that SSR has over BW is the ability to walk to DTD.

I am planning a trip for May 2011 with my DS3.5 and DD2. I am trying to decide between the BWV and SSR. I like the closeness of the Boardwalk to the parks, but I think the pool/slides would be better for my kids at SSR. Any thoughts?

the slide is kinda big for little ones. that say it has a great playground - with water features - it is next to the pool and hardily ever busy (which is probably why DVC never did this again)

so would go with BWV too.

I vote for Boardwalk too for the location. Especially with little ones and strollers, it's great to be able to walk or take the boats to two parks.

Have you looked into Beach Club/Beach Club Villa as an option? The pool there is great with its sandy bottom.

I also love them both so it's a hard choice!

SSR has a few different pools to choose from. The main pool has a small slide for the little ones, and a big slide for us older kids.;) The pool is also zero entry. The water play area is great and my kids have had so much fun there. Also, the food is very close to the main pool. You can walk or boat to DtD. The rooms are really nice and so is the whole resort. You have bike and surrey bike rentals, community hall, games around the pool, movies at the pool. So much fun!

BWV main pool has one big slide, and the pool is not zero entry. There is a kiddie pool. For food you have to walk to the BW which can be a pain while spending the day at the pool. The rooms are beautiful. The resort is beautiful. There are a ton of restaurant options with the other resorts being so close as well as 2 parks. The location is fantastic for going to Epcot and DHS. The BW at night is so much fun and there is a lot to do and keep little ones happy. There is also a community hall.

Look at my signature and you can tell we love both and have stayed at both numerous times! Personally I like to do SSR when we plan on relaxing and either not going to the parks, or just spending a day or two in the parks. I love the BW when we are planning to hit the parks daily because Epcot is our favorite and the one we visit the most.

Either one you choose you will enjoy and have a great time at!

My two cents is that BW is superior to Saratoga. Each hotel has very cool things available however BW is part of what I call "the hub" in WDW. What I mean by that is BW has activity going on all day and late into the evenings actually down on the walk. The Boardwalk bakery is a must do, not just for sweets, but you can get a quick, filling breakfast there as well. ESPN club is also there as well as other shops. It is also a quick walk to any of EPCOT, The Yacht & Beach Club resorts (which also have things to do and see). You can also walk to the Swan and Dolphin resorts. If you don't want to walk you can rent bikes or take a boat. You also have a walkway to go over to DHS or (again) just hop on a boat. You can even walk down to Fantasia Gardens for a round of putt putt golf. Saratoga has a very cool pool and is close to Downtown Disney (which is always fun). It also has a family oriented atmoshphere, but IMO BW just has much more to do and much easier access to many other things.

I am a DVC member, have stayed at both. Like both but they are different. We usually drive to WDW and I won't stay at BW again. Parking too far away, valet costs too much and takes too long. SSR is condo style so this works for us. If you park and leave your car or have no car that part makes no difference. As for pools I prefer SSR, zero entry good slide. BWV, clown slide. Not into clowns, a little freaky for me. With the age of your children have you considered BLT for it's proximity to MK? Just a thought.

Just got back from BWV with my DGD, age 6. She loved the slide but did not like the boat ride to HS or the bus ride ( 35 min.) to MK> there are four other stops to either of these parks via boat or bus. With little ones in tow, I personally would either go back to our roots, the Poly, or Pop Century ( which has their own bus with no other stops.) Saratoga Sp. is beautiful but too removed from everything. It is all a matter of where you think you will spend most of your time. No matter where you choose, you will have a wonderful time.. Research, research and plan. that is the key to a successful Disney trip and half the fun!

For kids that young, I'm not sure proximity to Epcot and Studios is all that important---when my kids were younger, they enjoyed MK and AK more than either of those. I'd go with BLT or maybe VWL before either of those two with younger kids.

Will you have a car? If so, you will be able to park very close to your unit at SSR.

Thank you all for your suggestions. We will not have a car, and will probably spend more time at MK then Epcot. I was looking at pricing as well and I think BC would just be to much. I still have not decided....

Have you considered Wilderness Lodge? They are the closest "Low Cost" deluxe to MK (they have a boat to MK!) I believe it will be less expensive than either SSR or BC.

Kerri

Have you considered Wilderness Lodge? They are the closest "Low Cost" deluxe to MK (they have a boat to MK!) I believe it will be less expensive than either SSR or BC.

Kerri

I'd have to second the WL for your trip. It isn't quite as expensive as most deluxes, and it's close enough to MK. We prefer BW because there's nothing like adding park hoppers and walking over to Epcot for the evening. It really depends on how your family will do WDW.

Kerri

Actually, SSR and OKW are the lowest price, then AKL and VWL. Boardwalk and Beach Club Villas are the same price, then BLT can be a little more or a LOT more, depending on the location of the room.

If you want to spend a lot of time swimming every day, then I would recommend either SSR or OKW.

A PP mentioned the boat and bus taking too long at BW. You will have the same experience at almost every resort to at least one or two parks. The advantage of BWV for many people is walking to Epcot and DHS. If you are staying on the villa side, then you could also walk over to the Swan and catch the bus there, which would be quicker than riding over there from the boardwalk, to the Dolphin and then the Swan. Or at the very least, less aggravating ;)

SSR is a glorified moderate. I would not choose to stay there over any deluxe, except maybe OKW.

Actually, SSR and OKW are the lowest price, then AKL and VWL. Boardwalk and Beach Club Villas are the same price, then BLT can be a little more or a LOT more, depending on the location of the room.
It seems as though the OP was talking cash prices. A WL room is less than OKW or SSR studios, a VWL studio is more.

OP: without a car, I'm not a big fan of SSR (or OKW). I'd go WL.

We are DVC owners at SSR and love it. We have stayed a number of times at Congress Park and have stayed in the THV. While some think that SSR is a large spread out resort I counter that you are no more that a 5-10 minute walk from anywhere to the carriage house except from THV but that is a different story. Or you can jump on just about any bus to get the carriage house in a matter of minutes. The pools are great and have entertainment in the evenings that your kids would love. Another thing that we love about SSR is the close proximity to DTD. We spend as much time there as we do in the parks. You can also catch a bus at DTD to just about anywhere on property. We love that convenience.
I am not sure how anyone could compare a SSR One, Two or Three Bedroom Villa to a moderate. That must have been a reference to a studio?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter