Boardwalk Inn vs. Beach Club Resort

flipflops42

Earning My Ears
I'm taking my DH and two college kids to WDW in January 2017. (One kid will sleep on the day bed.) We are considering Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club Resort. (We spend more time at Epcot.) Which resort would be best? I would love to hear your experiences with these two resorts.

Depending on if you or your kids would want to swim (if it is warm enough), then I would select the Beach Club. Personally, I grew up always staying at the Beach Club in my younger years, but since I have become a DVC member at the Boardwalk. I love the Boardwalk because of the location. I find the lobby of the Beach Club can somewhat loud. I personally think the Beach Club is geared a little more towards younger kids and the Boardwalk has a more adult feel. The Beach Club is closer to Epcot if that matters, but if you plan on going to HS, then the Boardwalk is closest.

I love them both, but I lean toward the Boardwalk. With teens, I would probably lean toward the Boardwalk as it is definitely more lively at night. It's also closer to DHS if you want to walk (which is typically faster than taking the boat), but still very close to EP. Honestly, I would check to see which one prices out the best and pick that one. That's what we did for our December trip as I would be happy with either resort!

We are fans of the BWI. We like the theming and the feel of the Boardwalk. We enjoy getting an ice cream, sitting on the Boardwalk and watching the world go by. We are not interested in the pool so no attraction to Stormalong Bay and not bothered by the Clown.

But as others noted, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

We've stayed at both. We love both. I think we prefer BCV simply because Epcot is literally in the backyard. It is a slightly longer walk to HS from BCV, but not by much. We do pop over to the Boardwalk quite a bit for sticky buns at the bakery, ice cream at Ample Hills and dinner at the Trattoria.

For definite swimming times of the year I would say BC at it has the best pool area on property. Since you are going in January, and swimming weather is very iffy, I would say it does not matter much. If your college kids have hit 21, they would probably prefer BW because of the clubs there. They are both in a great location which is an easy walk to either EPCOT or DHS. BC is a little closer to EPCOT and BW is more central between EPCOT and DHS.

I really really love both resorts, and would have a hard time picking. At the moment, I like the room decor much more at BC, but the rooms at BWI are lovely, and depending on which room category you're planning on booking, I think there are more really nice standard views at BWI than there are at BC, which has some really lousy views. Also, all but about 3 rooms at BWI have a balcony or patio, whereas 50% of rooms at BC have very small balconies that only one person can stand (not sit) on. Dining-wise, they both have their strong points (remembering that at BC, you have YC right there and available to you for dining), and for location, BC is a bit closer to Epcot, but BWI is closer and more walkable to DHS, whereas it would be a pretty good hike from BC.
And then there's the pool.
If you're going anytime between May and October, it would be a very easy BC decision for me, as the pool really can't be beat, and it just exemplifies summer sun and fun. I really like the pool at BWI also, and don't mind the clown at all, but the BC pool can't be beat.

Overall, I'm more of a BC fan, but you really are scoring a big win with both.

Unless one of the college kids is relatively short, I wouldn't think that they would get much sleep on the day bed at the BW. At least unless something has changed since the last time we stayed there.

We have stayed at both and loved them both!

I have only the slightest complaint about the Boardwalk. The hallways seem like they go on forever! We would come back from the parks and enter the resort only to have to take the "walk of death." (This is what my husband called it!) :P

Happy Planning! I am super jealous of the decision you have to make!

We have stayed at both and loved them both!

I have only the slightest complaint about the Boardwalk. The hallways seem like they go on forever! We would come back from the parks and enter the resort only to have to take the "walk of death." (This is what my husband called it!) :P

Happy Planning! I am super jealous of the decision you have to make!

So true about the hallways...esp on the villa side. we once had the very last room at the end of the hall and I felt like I walked back to Disney Studios. Ha!

That said I still love and prefer the boardwalk. I love the atmosphere, decor, the pool and the boardwalk itself with the dining, entertainment, etc.

We've stayed at both many times and enjoy both. Our kids are ages 17, 16 and 9. In the end, we often let the discounts decide. :)

BC: Room decor is probably my favorite in all of WDW. Rooms on the second floor near the lobby are really convenient to everything - BC Marketplace, transportation. If staying CL, food offerings were probably my favorite of all the CLs (as of 2015, at least.) Our youngest loves SAB, but our teens are not as crazy about it as they were when they were younger. BC Marketplace is really convenient for a number of different things - quick food, refill mugs, to-go items, merchandise and it's nice to have it all under one roof.

BWI: Full balconies / patios for nearly all rooms. Standard views are generally much better at BWI than at BC. We prefer BWI water views too because they are generally closer to the water and I prefer to overlook BC/YC from BWI. Great atmosphere on the Boardwalk at night - so fun and lively. Great quiet pool - my favorite on property. Outstanding CL CMs - if staying CL, we're more likely to choose BWI. Our older boys prefer BWI for overall vibe and atmosphere.

This may be a small thing, but we prefer BC because you can squish your toes in the sand there because the pool has a sandy area.

To me, it comes down to which is more important; access to Stormalong Bay or the Boardwalk view. Mind, you we stay in the villas, so that could make a difference, but I love sitting on our balcony at the Boardwalk. Beach Club is a little easier access to EPCOT, but both are walkable. Boardwalk is closer to DHS, about a 10-15 minute walk.

I'm taking my DH and two college kids to WDW in January 2017. (One kid will sleep on the day bed.) We are considering Boardwalk Inn or Beach Club Resort. (We spend more time at Epcot.) Which resort would be best? I would love to hear your experiences with these two resorts.

We like both! We've stayed at Beach Club once and Boardwalk 3 times. However, it's usually based on price, not which one we like better. I'm more often able to get a good deal at Boardwalk.

BC pros:
Closest to Epcot
One of the best pools & only lazy rivers on property
Decent quick service with limited indoor seating

BW pros:
A little more "adult" and quieter lobby (the character dining at BC creates a lot of noise)
Better bus service (again I think the character dining at BC creates more "traffic" especially for MK buses plus it shares with YC)
A true balcony for every room (many BC rooms only have a Juliette balcony - one person can stand on it)
Great "streetmosphere" at night on the Boardwalk (but you can walk over from BC to enjoy that easily)

If price is the same I would choose BC but it's not a landslide. For us we don't use the balcony a ton, we love Epcot so being slightly closer is a plus, and I can't eat gluten and BC QS has MUCH better gluten free options for me and even my DH likes the QS a lot better at BC. Also, all BW QS seating is outside which is fine if it's nice but if it's 100 F and 100% humidity not so nice. :) Also, if the bus is really backed up for MK at BC, you can walk to BW and catch the bus there!

I have only stayed at BC and while the pool is great the weather might not be. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. The weather in January can be not very friendly for people who want to swim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter