Blue Zoo - the ups & downs & why I'd go back

PrincessAurora

<font color=blue>Hmpphh! Who needs that boy in gre
I have heard from posters here on DIS that this is an exceptional dining establishment so I decided to try it.

As it is over at the Dolphin, it is a little bit of a trek to get to and they do not take Disney Dining. However since this trip I was solo and was paying out of pocket this trip as I determined it was cheaper than DD, I was just very excited to eat here.

I got there right when they opened and was seated right away. The restaurant itself is gorgeous and my server was very fun and professional.
IMG_1765.jpg
[/IMG]

I started out with a Cable Car:
IMG_1764.jpg
[/IMG]

This was a recommendation from my server and it was yummy. It is a rum drink with a cinnamon rim.

I ordered for my Main Dish:

Simply Fish - Our daily selection of finest fresh fish selected from coastal waters around the world, simply grilled on our teppenyaki grill. Served w/ choice of sauce...warm crabmeat, dijon mustard & chives or cucumber vinaigrette or red curry coconut, parsley & lemon. Sauce supplements: lobster $5.00 or caviar buerre blanc $8.00 - $32.00
DSC00056.jpg
[/IMG]

They had a choice of four fish to choose from. I chose the one I had never heard of, Covina. It is a thick fish, almost cod like in appearance. I ordered the crabmeat/dijon sauce and had them add the chunks of lobster to it for an additional $5. This was the best $5 I spent. The pieces were large and succulent. However, ... Houston, we have a problem.

Fish, unless it is sushi, should flake when it is done and be moist. The edge of my fish was lovely and I went to break it in the middle and thought "o no he didn't". This is what I said to the server when he came to check on me.

My fish was raw. Not moist, not undercooked, it was 80% raw. This should NOT happen especially at this level. The Chef really needed a boot in the junk. The server asked if I wanted another fish. I told him, no I would give the Chef the opportunity to get this right.

In the meantime, the Chef sent over this appetizer:
DSC00057.jpg
[/IMG]
Teppan Seared Jumbo Sea Scallops - Served with a braised beef short rib, & silky cauliflower puree. - $14.00

This was amazing. I know the picture is blurry but I was so into eating I near forgot to take the picture. I cut each of the scallops in half. They were on the thin short rib. The scallops were perfectly cooked as was the beef. It was tender and juicy. The cauliflower was so creamy and paired so well with this mini "surf & turf". This was an amazing dish! A+.

So my fish returns:
IMG_1767.jpg
[/IMG]
The flavor was delicate, the sauce was soooooo yummy. Creamy with lots of crab and lobster, just amazing but... I couldn't cut the fish. It was cooked but there was skin on the bottom and I couldn't cut through it. I though perhaps my knife was not serrated. Nope. I couldn't get through the skin with a buzz saw.

I told the server that the taste was good so I was keeping it as they did offer to replace it. The manager came over, told me that the fish was new and it must have been "stressed" which is why the skin was so hard to cut. They have pulled it from the menu for the evening. Stressed when it died = impossible to cut skin? huh?! Ummm, I've fished. You either catch fish with a line or a net or a cage. They are all equally stressed so unless they tortured this fish for fun, I fail to see how a fish being "stressed when it died" has anything to do with my dinner.

I asked the manager if the Chef cooked it during his prep this afternoon since it was new. He said no. I told him that Todd English would have. Gordon Ramsey would have. If a Chef is working with a new dish and new ingredient, they would cook it first to see how it works.

My entree and the appetizer were on the house so I just paid for my drink and a good tip for my waiter. I would go back here on my next trip in a heartbeat.

Why? The scallop was amazing, the service was stellar and the manager did the correct thing and "made it right". Hopefully this was a learning experience for their Chef when he gets new items. Next time I think I am going to order their Soy Lobster and am looking forward to it.

Thanks for your review...we love BlueZoo and I know it is supposed to be a "seafood" place but the filet that I had was the most amazing filet I have had anywhere on WDW or in any other restaurant I have been to.

Thanks for the review! Blue Zoo was awesome for an anniversary dinner we had there last year. I am glad the manager did what was right. Hopefully, you will enjoy it next time!:thumbsup2

The last time I dined at the Blue Zoo I had the Soy Lobster. It was a beautifully presented dish and it was cooked well. However, I felt the soy glaze was overpowering on the lobster. I wanted more lobster flavor and less glaze flavor. I would not order that again. When it comes to lobster, you can't beat the steamed whole lobster at Narcoossees. Pure lobster flavor at its best.

Thanks for the suggestion. I also like a more pure flavor to my food. I was thinking of Narcooses as well as the surf & turf at Blue Zoo.

Thanks so much for your review - I appreciate all the details and photos!

This is one place I definitely must go...

Nicole

Thanks for the detailed review!

A question --- didn't the mustard overpower the lobster? I've never heard of that combination. I love the sweet, delicate taste of lobster, but I would think it would be overwhelmed by mustard. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter