Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter question

Momof2MSgirls

Earning My Ears
After going back and forth between Blue Lagoon and Atlantis Dolphin Encounters, we have decided to book the Blue Lagoon. Our window to book opens in a few weeks :cool1: and I have a few questions so I will be prepared when I go online to make excursion reservations.

We want to optimize as much time on Blue Lagoon Island as possible. We will do the Dolphin Encounter as a family and also want to enjoy the beach as much as possible too. Bottom line, we want to get to the Island as early as possible and stay as late as possible.

What are the different times for the Dolphin Encounters? Earliest, latest?

What is the earliest you will arrive on the island and what is the latest boat you can take back to the ship?

Also, if you book a later encounter, can you take the earliest boat to enjoy the island first, before your encounter?

Thanks for your insight to help us prepare!

We booked the earliest encounter they had, which I think was at 9:30am. It takes a little while for everyone to get organized and to walk to the boat. Then the boat ride takes about a half hour. By the time we got done with our dolphin encounter, purchased the pictures and looked in the shop it was already close to 1. There are return boats at 1, 2, and 4. We wanted beach time so we stayed all the way to 4 and we pretty much had the beach to ourselves after 2. It was a nice day. The dolphin encounter was fun and my kids loved playing in the water and on the beach afterwards.

Question...If you took the return boat at 4, could you make it back in time for early seating dinner? TIA :)

We did the encounter last April on the Dream. I believe you have to meet at the time of your excursion (i.e. you can't go early.) It may be something about space on the boat - you are going over on the same boat at the same time with the people booked on the Blue Lagoon Beach Day and Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim, so it is not just your group. Definitely get the earliest time you can.

As an aside, when it was our time to book excursions online, the Dolphin Swim for the earlier time was sold out. We had no idea what the times were prior to the time we got on the computer. So, we ended up doing the earliest Dolphin encounter, and I believe it was at 9 something. We met in the theatre, and then we all walked out of the ship and then like 20 yards to the dock where the ship picked us up (but please note the ship does not return you to the same spot! It will return you much further away, so you will have to walk through a 2 block shopping mall to return to the ship, so be prepared to walk this far after a day at the beach.)

When we got to Blue Lagoon (and we were doing our pre-encounter "talk" by the guides, they had spaces open for the Dolphin Swim, so my husband and son went off and did that. They loved it.) So, if you have any who are interested in the swim, know that there may be an opportunity once you get there. It is just on the other side of the huts, so it is not far. The area is private and it seems like there are no outsiders/locals there, so we felt completely and 100% safe.

My daughter and I did the encounter, and we loved it as well. It was perfect for us. I highly recommend betting the Sony Cybershot waterproof/freeze proof/sand proof/ drop proof camera. We got the TX10 one in bright green and got AMAZING pictures of the dolphins. It also takes HD video - Note - they don't like for you to take pictures because they have their own cameras, but they didn't stop us becuase I think they didn't know that our little bitty camera took as good of pictures as it did! It's around $300 and worth every penny. BTW, also get a flotation strap with it - we got one for $7 and it has been amazing. We bought both on Amazon.

After we finished our dolphin encounters/swims, we met up at the beach area. LOVED IT. Had a fabulous time at this beautiful, serene beach. We grabbed chairs and I dare say that we enjoyed this more than Castaway Cay! (heresy, I know!) Seriously - it wasn't nearly as crowded as Castaway, and the waves were nonexistent - this made for great playing in the sand for our young kids. They had inflatables in the water that the older kids could use for free, and it was a safe, no-shark area that was well patrolled by lifeguards. The only thing that wasn't as good or better than Castaway was the food - the food is RIDICULOUSLY expensive (we're taking $8 for a hot dog, $2 for a bag of chips, $3 for a can of coke) So be sure to order "room service" of those PBJ sandwiches and any kind of portable drink and throw them in your bag.

We took one of the last boats back around 4:00 p.m., and we were able to get ready and make our early dinner seating time.

All in all, I loved our day at Blue Lagoon and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone with elementary age kids or younger. It blew the doors off of our experience a couple of years ago doing the Atlantis beach day.

Also, if you book a later encounter, can you take the earliest boat to enjoy the island first, before your encounter?

Thanks for your insight to help us prepare!

You have to meet on the boat for your excursion. Therefore if you do the afternoon encounter you will not be able to enjoy the beach before your time. If you do the morning one, which I believe is 9:30, can can stay there and enjoy the beach all afternoon.
We did the encounter last June and loved it!

Thank you all for yor replies! We really appreciate it and am glad to know to book the earliest excursion so we can to get on the first boat over! Thanks for the heads up on being dropped off further away, actually that will be great as our 15 year old daughter will want to see some of the "shopping" area, so she can see it briefly on our way back to the ship.

I think where they drop off and pick up is dependent on where they can get a spot on the docks. For us, we had to walk through all the little shop tents on the way to the boat in the morning. On the way back the boat was able to get a spot much closer so we didn't have to walk much at all.

We're booked on the 9:30 am one, so sounds like it will all work out.

Thanks for the walking afterwards warning, sounds like we should bring a stroller with us. My kids are 6 and 7, so should be fine, but my niece and nephews are 1, 2 and 3, so that would be a hike!

I enjoyed reading all of the past experiences. This is something we are planning on doing in June.

We have actually booked the sea lion encounter at Blue Lagoon - we definitely want to spend time at the beach after the encounter, but I can't find anything with regards to cost. I know there is a Blue Lagoon Beach Day- does the sea lion/dolphin encounter include the use of the chairs, unbrellas, and floats that are included in the beach day excursion?

We have actually booked the sea lion encounter at Blue Lagoon - we definitely want to spend time at the beach after the encounter, but I can't find anything with regards to cost. I know there is a Blue Lagoon Beach Day- does the sea lion/dolphin encounter include the use of the chairs, unbrellas, and floats that are included in the beach day excursion?

As long as you booked the earliest sea lion excursion, beach time afterwards is included for free. There are plenty of lounge chairs to use. I couldn't remember any umbrellas, but I just looked at my pictures and it looks like there are a few scattered around, but not many. Food and drink is not included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter