Blue Bayou with a 6 year old

lunaland

Mouseketeer
As a childless adult who first found Disneyland as an adult, I have many many trips under my belt. However as my nephews each turn six, they get a special trip to Disneyland all about them with Aunty and Grandma. The last two enjoyed our meals at Blue Bayou, but I would label them fairly adventurous eaters for children (one happily ate an alligator entree during a trip to Florida!). We are heading back with brother #3 for his solo trip, and I would describe him as being more child-food oriented. I have reservations for Blue Bayou, but looking at the kids menu it's a little....adult. Chicken, shrimp or steak entrees. I take it there is no hope of Mac and cheese or chicken tenders here? I'm debating canceling the reservation but BB is such a fun atmosphere I'd hate for him to miss it. Thoughts? Is there off-menu options I'm missing?

I'm going to the Blue Bayou with a five year old next week, but it is NOT FOR HIM lol.
Get those kids some red wagon corn dogs and watch all the smiles.
We took him when he was 2 years old and it was not great.

It's not a fixed menu if you don't have a package, correct? So if you are just going to experience the ambiance, if he's not super hungry but is patient enough... would he enjoy a fun drink/dessert while you guys eat more food? Or maybe an appetizer he would taste? If you think he would enjoy the scenery itself for a little while, you could make it a shorter visit instead of a full meal.

I recently dined at BB with my 3-year old nephew who is extremely picky, and unfortunately no chicken fingers or fries (we asked). They are, however, very happy to do a plate of “sides” like the fruit and mashed potatoes, or do the pasta with just butter (that is what my nephew had, he mostly ate his fruit, lol.) That said I think it is definitely worth it for the ambiance, just make sure he had a good breakfast and there is something truly for him at dinner. Oh, and you can add the glow cube to the kids drink if you ask. I think it‘s required for kids of all ages (yes, I had one too.) ;)

Dinner or lunch? We used to do it for the Fantasmic seating package. DD would typically enjoy the boats for a couple minutes and then it was so dark she would fall asleep on the table- sometimes in her food. It was comical. We would be trying to wake her up to get her to eat something. Her favorite part was always the bread- which I hear they don't have anymore. She would have a second wind after that nap though and be good for the rest of the night. LOL. If it is for Fantasmic - it is worth it with a young one. If it is for you- it is worth it with a young one. If it is just for the young one for a meal and nothing else-- just ride POTC a couple times.

We are going in a couple months with our picky 6 year old. He doesn’t like things with sauces really, and doesn’t like potatoes much, so French fries are not usually an option. We have had luck with plain meats, like a steak or a chicken option. Surprisingly he also likes salmon or prawns sometimes? Pastas with sauce on the side have also been good options for us.

When my now 20 year old daughter was around 5, we just fed her chicken tenders before our reservation. Then she just ate bread and butter and a glass of milk while we enjoyed our meal.

When my now 20 year old daughter was around 5, we just fed her chicken tenders before our reservation. Then she just ate bread and butter and a glass of milk while we enjoyed our meal.
They nixed the bread service during COVID and haven’t brought it back, sadly….

I went with my 6-year-old grandson in January. He's fairly picky, but he loved the kid's steak dinner. It actually was very good. He also loved the desserts him mom and I ordered that we all shared--a creme brulee and a Basque cheesecake.

I think you've gotten lots of good advice! Get him a special drink with glow cube (if you want to save some money, you can bring your own glow cube) and see what happens with the food. It's possible he'll love it. If he doesn't, then there's always dessert, sides, or you can grab something later. Would he like the Monte Cristo? Those are good for sharing. But he just might surprise you and like something you wouldn't have expected.

Have fun!!! What a nice Auntie you are!!

If you aren't sure of the menu I'd just make sure he eats ahead of time and he could just enjoy a snack or drink at BB. Could you show him the menu ahead of time and see if there's anything he'd like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter