Blue Bayou...is it worth it??

chrissiecutie

Once a Princess, Always a Princess
I'm thinking of splurging and eating at Blue Bayou on our upcoming trip. I haven't been in well over 15+ years when I was a child. I thought it was pretty cool eating inside the Pirates ride and remember nothing about the quality of the food except that my little brother fell asleep face first in his spaghetti!:laughing:

I just looked over the dinner menu and was shocked by the prices. Clearly, if we choose to eat here, I wouldn't worry about the prices and just go for it! But is the food really worth the price? Or are you really paying for the location of the restaurant? I've had some good steak in my day, but really??

I know the Blue Bayou is a favorite here on the boards but why? Anyone care to share why they love Blue Bayou SO much?? Is it worth the price and has this become a MUST do on your list of Disney attractions? Or are there other "fancy" restaurants that you prefer over the Blue Bayou?

TIA!

Ah, the $64 billion disboard debate.

Is the Blue Bayou "worth it"? Well, depends on what that means to you.

Is the food A-MAZING? No.
Is the ambiance incredibly unique? Yes.
Is there anywhere else on Earth that lets you eat inside Pirates of the Caribbean? No.

Is it worth it? Depends on what that means to you. :goodvibes

As for why I like it? I could stare at the little fireflies all night long! :rotfl: For me, I love the ambiance and the uniqueness. To me, it's "worth it." I know others who agree - and still others who don't.

I think you have to eat there once (every 15 years?) and decide for yourself.

- Dreams

We had a wonderful time waving at all the boats and soaking up the atmosphere. Was the food amazing? By no means. Will we go back? Yes! But, not every visit.

Yep, you are totally paying for the location, ambiance, uniqueness of the restaurant. The food is fine, not special not terrible. The service has always been wonderful when I have been.

If you want a total foodie experience, go to Napa Rose. If you are willing to pay for a unique and memorable experience, eat at the Blue Bayou. After all, you remember how special it was all these years later, right? It is doing something right to have so many fans. ;)

As Dreams says, this is a never-ending debate on the DIS. You'll get strong opinions on both sides of the question. As for myself, yes, it's worth it! At least once every couple of years. It's been 15 years?!! :eek: You're overdue.

Yes, it's pricey. Personally, I like the surf 'n turf. Great filet, perfectly done. You say you've eaten great steaks before. So have I. But if you go to a major steak eatery, e.g. Morton's, you'll find prices pretty close to those at BB. And at Morton's you can't see the POC boats go by :rotfl:

I think it's worth it for the ambiance and the experience. And the prices? A little high, but not out of line considering the venue.

-Bob
P.S. The third (green) line of my tag-fairy tags, under my name, is from a BB review.

I love it, I think the filet mignon is delicious; as is the ambience and the experience all together. I would go. It's an annual thing for my trips

Is it worth it? Depends on what that means to you. :goodvibes

- Dreams

"Worth it", good point. What maybe worth it to me may not be to others. We have always enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Can we find better food, Yes but this is a tradition for our family and is a line item in our budget.

Jack

"Worth it" for us depends on the budget for the trip each time. It used to be the only place to get the Monte Cristo (another hotly debated item) and DH and I love that sandwhich. But when Cafe Orleans was renovated and started serving the MC (and the 3 cheese version too!) we pretty much stopped doing the Blue Bayou except for special occasions. We love the atmosphere and always make the first lunch reservation and then wait for a water table but sometimes we have more limited funds for the trip and would rather spend the money elsewhere.
As far as food quality goes I can't say much as I have never had anything but the Monte Cristo but for me the Blue Bayou is all about the atmosphere and for that it is without a doubt "worth it".

DD and I loved it! And as long as we do it will be something we do each visit. :) IDK how well DD would have done at the other two fancy resturants as she was just turning 4, but she was my perfect kid in BB. She loved the whole experience. even now at 5, she gets bored at fancy places, so I feel with BB I can get fancy, and she is entertained :)

We make a point of going as a family each time we go to the park. It is our tradition and soooo worth it for us. We love the atmosphere and the service. We split the plates so that it is more affordable, which is an option for others on a budget. Very "worth it" for us!

I think if it has been 15 years since last visit to BB, then for sure make lunch/dinner there a special treat.

Make this meal an attraction in it self. Figure out the best time for your meal and have a wonderful time.

We plan on having an early lunch there that will cover breakfast and lunch. Dinner this day will be very light ( and cheaper for sure)

I have a don't do it -----If you are going to think about the price over the experience DON'T DO IT.

I know I am both sides of the fence.

Not Much Help, Patty

IMO, at Blue Bayou, you're paying for atmosphere, not a stellar meal. Is it worth it to me to go? Yes; there's nothing like eating inside the POTC ride, with the boats going by & the stars & lanterns overhead.

What is the best way to enjoy it without spending an arm and a leg. Splitting a plate & getting dessert? Are there appatizers & salads or smaller portions?
What about dessert & coffee?

I have walked up to that place every time and wanted to go in but turned away because of the price. ;)

I went to BB this last trip after wanting to my whole life. I had built the experience up to the point that I at times was afraid even Disney couldn't live up to it. They did I really enjoyed it! Is it now an every trip for us? No, but we will do it again. Likely every 2nd or third trip, for example on our next trip we are using that money to go to Mickey's TOT party and do a Fantasmic dessert seating.

Here is the section of my TR that deals with my 1st ever BB experience.

OK so we arrived at Blue Bayou with 2 minutes to spare upon exiting Pirates of the Carribean without having to use the crazy route to get through crowd control thanks to a delightful last minute ride on POC.

Went to check in and they said we would have about a 20 minute wait. Asked for the coveted waterfront table (after all I waited almost 40 years for this meal I wanted it to be just as I imagined it) and they said it would be more like 35 minutes No problem an extra 15 for my perfect experience we will be happy to wait.

Now comes my 1 real complaint about the Blue Bayou experience. The waiting area is small with minimal seating and the place was busy. My leg was killing me and had been most of the day ( I have severe arthritis in my left knee) and I really needed to sit if we were going to be waiting 35 minutes also Brants back was sore & Colton was tired. We ended up finding a spot on the steps near where they park strollers & wheelchairs etc low to the ground & we were not at all sure we would be able to get back up again so Brant stood while Colton & I sat. 10 minutes later they called us to our table!
Brant had to help me get up off the steps my leg was stiff already.

Our table was right on the railing just to the right of center a beautiful spot.
The atmosphere exceeded my expectations! I don't know if I can even describe it well enough to do it justice. The beautiful faux sky above (I really don't spend too much time looking up when I am on the ride too much to see but when at BB I had plenty of time to really appreciate it..amazing!) The sounds of the water and the blinking fireflies amazing again this is a very romantic spot and since this was my belated anniversary gift wonderfully appropriate. My DH made an aside to me that it would be the perfect anniversary dinner if we were alone.

For appetizers Brant ordered the salad I ordered the gumbo and Colton had carrots & celery sticks with Ranch dressing (one of his favorite snacks!) Brant & I shared so we could try both. Colton dug into his while watching the boats. They were only about 15 feet away but through the entire meal I never was able to hear conversations from the boats so they were just the perfect distance away. It was blissfully peaceful especially after such a busy day in the park.

As soon as his appetizer was done Colton rested his head on his hands and watching the boats he fell asleep. I mean truely asleep not just dozed we could not wake him to eat his entree. Our wonderful waitress offered us the choice of either packing his food to go or removing his meal from the bill. Since I could not imagine carrying food around the park I asked for it to be removed. Mind you the entrees had arrived at this point so his dinner had already been made and was at the table, they did not have to do this.

So our wonderful kid had just given us our romantic anniversary dinner alone (sort of) after all.

There are no pics of the food or atmosphere at Blue Bayou I may do this on other trips but on our first ever visit we did not want to ruin the atmosphere and the unexpected adult time snapping pics.

Brant ordered the Buccaneer's Beef Short Ribs - Slow-roasted, then finished in a Zinfandel demi-glaze. with Blue Bayou Potatoes & seasonal vegetables he loved it the ribs literally melted in his mouth.

I ordered the Bayou Surf and Turf - A succulent, sweet petite lobster tail from the Pacific Northwest, paired with an expertly broiled filet mignon, sauce bearnaise. with Blue Bayou Potatoes & seasonal vegetables the lobster was cold but good the filet was wonderful.

Once we had eaten dinner we discussed dessert and had decided to share something. Our waitress came by with Colton's birthday dessert and advised since he was sleeping she brought it for us to share, would we like anything else for dessert? Wow we didn't even pay for sleeping birthday boy's meal and we still got his free birthday dessert? It was a perfect light chocolate mousse just enough to share and be satisfied.

Now BB was expensive in comparison to the food but add the atmosphere and the nearly perfect experience I had imagined coming true I was not at all sad about passing over the dough.

What is the best way to enjoy it without spending an arm and a leg. Splitting a plate & getting dessert? Are there appatizers & salads or smaller portions?

I have walked up to that place every time and wanted to go in but turned away because of the price. ;)

You can go and just get dessert. I have done that a time or two. We love to go there. It is more for the experience then for the food. A pricey meal was not in the cards so we just got dessert and had a great time.

If you split a plate they charge a split plate fee and you both get appetizers and sides and split the main dish. I do not know what the fee is as we have not done this.

Our original plan had been to go just for dessert to experience the place not the price but, things fell into place and we got to do the whole dinner.

As others have said, yes, there is a $12 charge I believe for splitting an entree if you both want the sides and gumbo or salad. They no longer offer appetizers on the menu, nor do they have the impressive desserts that they used to offer (cookie boat, creme trio...). Now the desserts are pretty generic, stuff you could get elsewhere in the parks. I think their idea in making those changes was to essentially stop people from coming for just apps and dessert (they are a business after all).

Regarding the OP's question of "is it worth it", I think everyone should go at least once to try it out. When we went, I had hyped it up based on these boards, but we had a horrible, rude, rushed server, and they didn't have the signature potatoes the day I went, so I didn't get the full delicious meal that everyone raves about. I'd be willing to give it one more chance, but if it disappointed me that second time, I'd never go back.

If you split a plate they charge a split plate fee and you both get appetizers and sides and split the main dish. I do not know what the fee is as we have not done this.

If anyone knows the cost I would like to know as this sounds like a good option.

If anyone knows the cost I would like to know as this sounds like a good option.

Not sure if you saw my post above but if you choose to split a meal, it is a $12 charge in addition to the cost of the entree. That will get each person a choice of house salad or cup of gumbo. Then you will each get half of the main entree with your own potatoes and veggies.

Not sure if you saw my post above but if you choose to split a meal, it is a $12 charge in addition to the cost of the entree. That will get each person a choice of house salad or cup of gumbo. Then you will each get half of the main entree with your own potatoes and veggies.

Oh thank you, :thumbsup2 I am going to do that for sure. We like to share anyway or order something small because we don't want to carry leftovers and we don't like to stuff ourselves:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter