Blue Bayou early January - what's up?

How early is early? If you arent on right at 6:00am Pacific time, they will be gone in minutes. Same for Trader Sam's. If you wait until 6:05 they will be gone for those two places. The both have very few tables so they go fast
I was on at 6 AM Pacific today. Actually started a few minutes prior. And nothing.

If you click through the Blue Bayou page directly, the last 2 days (1/7 and 1/8) that are supposed to be available, are not even highlighted to search.

If you click through the Blue Bayou page directly, the last 2 days (1/7 and 1/8) that are supposed to be available, are not even highlighted to search.
Yup, we understand. It’s not you… it’s “them”.

And unfortunately there’s no rhyme or reason to the discrepancy.

The dates and times may begin showing up this afternoon… or at midnight, 2 am or 6 am tomorrow… or the next day… or maybe next week. There’s no way to know. 🤬

When the system works— and it does, at least slightly more often than not— it’s great. But when there’s a problem, it’s utterly maddening, because there’s absolutely nothing you can do. Even calling DLR (or WDW) won’t get you anywhere because they don’t know why some calendars get out of sync either. Like, why BB & not Oga’s? Or next month, why Oga’s and not River Belle Terrace? It’s so random.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble. :tinker:Sending some pixie dust your way that your sought after ressies will appear soon, and you’ll be able to get ones that work for you.

What’s weird is that Epcot at Walt Disney World is having similar issues with the same dates and some restaurants. I wonder if it’s a fluke or some upcoming changes are to blame.

I guess you could call it a coincidence…. At any given point in time, there are a number of restaurants in either DLR or WDW which are out of sync with the 60-days-out system. Sometimes there’s a few more days visible to book than you would expect. Other times, like now, there are several days that are unavailable which should be showing up on the calendar.

The entirety of the problem is caused by the individual restaurants deciding when they will open their calendar. Will they drop the dates day by day, so that there’s always dates available at the magic 60-day threshold? Or will they open their calendar in chunks or batches, leading to issues like we see in this thread? For many restaurants, they seem to flip-flop between the two “models” leading to lots of confusion.

How early is early? If you arent on right at 6:00am Pacific time, they will be gone in minutes. Same for Trader Sam's. If you wait until 6:05 they will be gone for those two places. The both have very few tables so they go fast
Thanks for the response! Referring to the image below, if a particular day is, or has been, open for reservations, even if it is completely booked, choosing that day on the BB cover page will show lunch and dinner times (see Jan 6 example). However, what I'm seeing for January 7-10 is the message "No Times Available". Also, if you click on "Check Availability" and select a party size, I'm seeing that January 7-10 is not available for selection (all images were taken today, January 11). Puzzling what's going on, will keep trying.

Rezzie4.jpg

Attachments

• Rezzie4.jpg
    Rezzie4.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1
BB underwent pretty major renovations not too long ago, so I’d be very surprised if they were already doing more. I mean the recent redo was the first time in forever (oops —wrong franchise :rotfl:) that the restaurant had anything major done. Mostly just freshening up before the refurb ~2 years ago.

Have you tried to book via the Disneyland app instead of the website? Disney as a whole does not seem to be able to correlate the info shown on the website to what is in the app & vice versa.

There’s a better than fair chance that BB just hasn’t opened the dates in their calendar yet. It’s a maddeningly inconsistent system. :furious: The restaurants seem to each get to play by their own rules, despite Disney’s “promise” of being able to snag your ressies at 60 days.

The only thing you an do is keep stalking both the app and the website, or sign up for a paid dining alert service and be ready to jump on any alerts.

True.

Don’t give up hope though…. On multiple trips, we’ve been able to get into BB same day by going straight to BB first thing in the morning and asking at the hostess desk.

Also, check your app shortly after midnight the night before you want to go. A lot of people end up cancelling the day before when they realize it either doesn’t work with their plans, or the decide that it’s not in their budget after all. Sometimes, they realize that they don’t actually like the menu (although the Monte Cristo sandwich is to die for. :faint: Lol.)

Check again as soon as you wake up in the morning.

We’ve only done Trader Sam’s once, but we got in as walk-ups. It was about 4 months after DL reopened after Covid, and we had a strange experience, because they weren’t back to regular operations yet. I was recently talking with some friends who say they’ve never done ressies ahead— they’ve always been able to do walk-up, although they’ve sometimes had a wait of well over an hour. They just use the time to explore the hotel and shops.

BB underwent pretty major renovations not too long ago, so I’d be very surprised if they were already doing more. I mean the recent redo was the first time in forever (oops —wrong franchise :rotfl:) that the restaurant had anything major done. Mostly just freshening up before the refurb ~2 years ago.

Have you tried to book via the Disneyland app instead of the website? Disney as a whole does not seem to be able to correlate the info shown on the website to what is in the app & vice versa.

There’s a better than fair chance that BB just hasn’t opened the dates in their calendar yet. It’s a maddeningly inconsistent system. :furious: The restaurants seem to each get to play by their own rules, despite Disney’s “promise” of being able to snag your ressies at 60 days.

The only thing you an do is keep stalking both the app and the website, or sign up for a paid dining alert service and be ready to jump on any alerts.

True.

Don’t give up hope though…. On multiple trips, we’ve been able to get into BB same day by going straight to BB first thing in the morning and asking at the hostess desk.

Also, check your app shortly after midnight the night before you want to go. A lot of people end up cancelling the day before when they realize it either doesn’t work with their plans, or the decide that it’s not in their budget after all. Sometimes, they realize that they don’t actually like the menu (although the Monte Cristo sandwich is to die for. :faint: Lol.)

Check again as soon as you wake up in the morning.

We’ve only done Trader Sam’s once, but we got in as walk-ups. It was about 4 months after DL reopened after Covid, and we had a strange experience, because they weren’t back to regular operations yet. I was recently talking with some friends who say they’ve never done ressies ahead— they’ve always been able to do walk-up, although they’ve sometimes had a wait of well over an hour. They just use the time to explore the hotel and shops.
Great info, thank you!

Thanks for the response! Referring to the image below, if a particular day is, or has been, open for reservations, even if it is completely booked, choosing that day on the BB cover page will show lunch and dinner times (see Jan 6 example). However, what I'm seeing for January 7-10 is the message "No Times Available". Also, if you click on "Check Availability" and select a party size, I'm seeing that January 7-10 is not available for selection (all images were taken today, January 11). Puzzling what's going on, will keep trying.

View attachment 809605
Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing.

View attachment 809605

January 7th is the last day of the holidays at DLR and that usually means the park hours will change. It doesn’t explain why the reservations for the 7th aren’t dropping, but it’s possible park hours haven’t been set for beyond the 7th.

January 7th is the last day of the holidays at DLR and that usually means the park hours will change. It doesn’t explain why the reservations for the 7th aren’t dropping, but it’s possible park hours haven’t been set for beyond the 7th.
Other restaurants have opened for reservations on time.

I just went on my desktop and was able to try to book things through January 7th. Blue Bayou goes super fast so most likely it's already gone.
When i go on the app and search blue bayou and try to reserve, no days are available to open past 1/6/2024. I woke up prior to 6 am each day to book it for 4 days in a row and nothing. All day at 6 am at any party size. So it is not going that fast. That is when i tried to go to the blue bayou page and book it that route and it did not allow for searches past the 6th. Guessing they are doing something to the restaurant or perhaps pirates starting on the 7th.

When i go on the app and search blue bayou and try to reserve, no days are available to open past 1/6/2024. I woke up prior to 6 am each day to book it for 4 days in a row and nothing. All day at 6 am at any party size. So it is not going that fast. That is when i tried to go to the blue bayou page and book it that route and it did not allow for searches past the 6th. Guessing they are doing something to the restaurant or perhaps pirates starting on the 7th.
More likely they just haven’t opened their calendar yet past the 6th. Thing is, they don’t have to open their calendar on time, because they will still fill all the avail. spots. DLR restaurants are maddeningly inconsistent in how they drop their ressies. Often they will be days or even weeks late. Sometimes they might not open at 6 am either. Sometimes restaurants have been known to open at 12 am, occasionally at 2 am, and sometimes at various times throughout the day.

The only things you can do are #1) check back everyday, and throughout the day. And #2) sign up for a dining reservation finder service similar to Touring Plans (theirs may not be working anymore, but there are others).

If you sign up for a service, make sure you drop everything to jump on any ressies if you get a notification. Hundreds of others are looking for the same reservations, and many will be getting the same notifications.

More likely they just haven’t opened their calendar yet past the 6th. Thing is, they don’t have to open their calendar on time, because they will still fill all the avail. spots. DLR restaurants are maddeningly inconsistent in how they drop their ressies. Often they will be days or even weeks late. Sometimes they might not open at 6 am either. Sometimes restaurants have been known to open at 12 am, occasionally at 2 am, and sometimes at various times throughout the day.

The only things you can do are #1) check back everyday, and throughout the day. And #2) sign up for a dining reservation finder service similar to Touring Plans (theirs may not be working anymore, but there are others).

If you sign up for a service, make sure you drop everything to jump on any ressies if you get a notification. Hundreds of others are looking for the same reservations, and many will be getting the same notifications.
I just checked and on the website it shows not available Jan. 7th to the 12th. It says open on Jan. 13th but no availability

Remember a few years ago when getting an ADR even 5 days out was easy to do? I miss those days. Luckily for me, hardly anything that requires an ADR appeals to me anymore. It ain't like WDW where an ADR is a must nearly every day if you want good food.

Just tried to get Blue Bayou for Sunday Jan 14th. As soon as 9 am (EST) hit, the day popped up, I hit it, and it was immediately sold out. Within literally 5 seconds of it opening.

Well, this isn't encouraging. If it's closed for a bit, I just wish they had said that before. First, I could have stopped babysitting this crap site to see what's up. And second, I could have booked on arrival day of 1/6 but had it planned for one of the other days.

ab2Capture.JPG

Just tried to get Blue Bayou for Sunday Jan 14th. As soon as 9 am (EST) hit, the day popped up, I hit it, and it was immediately sold out. Within literally 5 seconds of it opening.
I could be because it is closed in the days leading up to that (assuming that it is anyway). But I still don't think those surrounding days have been loaded. They are clickable, but I don't think they have been loaded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter