BLT Thread on DVC Mousellaneous Board has Me Worried

disneymath

DIS Veteran
The thread discusses the wear and tear on the rooms that exisits at BLT even though it is less than a year old. From the multiple pages of posts, it seems like there is a lot of wear and tear - way more than would be expected at such a new resort. There is more than one post of stained sofas and ripped sofa cushions, not to mention knicks in furniture, broken AC, and scratches on walls. (For full details, I've linked the thread below.)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2444036

We booked our stay through CRO using a 40% PIN. Because we will be travelling with little ones and are considering purchasing DVC, this seemed like a great time to try out BLT - it seems like the perfect DVC resort for us.

From a DVC standpoint, if the resort isn't up to par, there won't be any major issue. (Other than perhaps some disappointment in deciding not to buy in after all - but that is really a loss for Disney more so than for us.)

From the perspective of wanting to have an enjoyable trip and paying a pretty penny (even with the 40% off) for our rooms (a LV studio and a LV 2Bdrm), the potential run-down condiditon of the rooms concenrs me. Stained furniture and worn rooms are just gross and potenitally having the AC break during the August heat is definitely a concern.

I guess my question is, what are my options if we arrive and things aren't good? I know we can request room changes, but other rooms might not be available or might be in no better shape.

I'm going to look into seeing what kind of "equivlanet deals" we might still be able to get at a different resort. At the same time, I do want to give BLT a chance as it is the DVC resort that most appeals to us (at least prior to that thread.)

Urrrggg!

Stick with blt. Just got back and our room was very clean. Nothing I saw in the hotel appeared to be run-down. The location really can't be beat. At 40% off, that is a steal.

The thread discusses the wear and tear on the rooms that exisits at BLT even though it is less than a year old. From the multiple pages of posts, it seems like there is a lot of wear and tear - way more than would be expected at such a new resort. There is more than one post of stained sofas and ripped sofa cushions, not to mention knicks in furniture, broken AC, and scratches on walls. (For full details, I've linked the thread below.)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2444036

We booked our stay through CRO using a 40% PIN. Because we will be travelling with little ones and are considering purchasing DVC, this seemed like a great time to try out BLT - it seems like the perfect DVC resort for us.

From a DVC standpoint, if the resort isn't up to par, there won't be any major issue. (Other than perhaps some disappointment in deciding not to buy in after all - but that is really a loss for Disney more so than for us.)

From the perspective of wanting to have an enjoyable trip and paying a pretty penny (even with the 40% off) for our rooms (a LV studio and a LV 2Bdrm), the potential run-down condiditon of the rooms concenrs me. Stained furniture and worn rooms are just gross and potenitally having the AC break during the August heat is definitely a concern.

I guess my question is, what are my options if we arrive and things aren't good? I know we can request room changes, but other rooms might not be available or might be in no better shape.

I'm going to look into seeing what kind of "equivlanet deals" we might still be able to get at a different resort. At the same time, I do want to give BLT a chance as it is the DVC resort that most appeals to us (at least prior to that thread.)

Urrrggg!

Absolutely no offense intended to our fine friends on the DVC board.. but history has shown us these complaints pop up pretty much for EVERY DVC resort that ever opens.

Obviously some of these comments have merit.. but others may not be reasonable. Some wear and tear is to be expected... on any night after the 'first' night that a guest stays in a given room.

I have read complaints like the above from the opening of previous resorts. Some rooms will obviously be mistreated more than others.

I really WOULD NOT worry that much about this.. I do think it's overblown in that thread. (My own personal opinion)

I"m one of those who posted to the thread on the DVC board. Yes, there is excessive wear on the furniture and some staining on couches and it's not us "DVC members" with sour grapes over a new resort. The furniture they choose is BLACK and as most of us know BLACK things show surface scratches worse than other colored items. I was just dismayed that when we were there an 9 month old resort had these type of damages. The wall right by the luggage carrier in the one bedroom had a HUGE gouge from people putting their luggage down. Now that is something that is easy to repair and should be done. I don't own at BLT, but at BWV and VWL, we did think about adding on and the resort is lovely and the wear wouldn't have distracted us as it's easy to repair. It does just seem that they did use sub par furniture and materials in the construction process.

I wouldn't worry too much. I own at BLT and stayed there in Feb. in a studio. My unit was just fine. Loved the decor and the furniture. but i do agree that the BLACK will show more. The studio had so much more drawer storage space to me. Everything was great for me. I do worry that people that stay there and aren't owners will not take as good of care of it. As my dues will be paying for any repairs made by people being totally careless, i choose to always look for positive unless it is totally unacceptable. One good thing that i can say is that it impressed my mother who went with me when my DH couldn't. She's pretty hard to please also and very picky and OCD cleanliness and neat. Hope this helps.

Certainly the resort is not a dump, but to DVC members that have invested thousands of dollars in this resort, they have reason to be disappointed in the materials that have been selected.

Even on opening week the damage was noticeable. It is more about the quality and type of materials selected than abuse by guests or lack of upkeep by housekeeping.

In my opinion DVC has cheapened the quality of materials they purchase now and they simply do not hold up well.

If you get there and are not pleased you can certainly ask for another room.

Since Bay Lake Tower is not even 1 year old yet I would worry about it because it's still the newest resort, so my advice is have a great time staying there.

I would not worry about it.

I do agree that DVC members have shelled out thousands of dollars in the purchase of their contract not to mention dues that are for the life of the contract. So they do have a vested interest.

However, I also agree with Canadianguy that you will see more in the way of neagtivity about the various DVC resorts on that board.

Anytime Disney opens a new DVC resort, it seems to get a lot of flack. When SSR first opened my husband and I bought there and once I started reading threads on the DVC board I was convinced we had made a huge mistake. Once I got to stay there I did see that in fact, it was lovely. We never had a bad stay at SSR and never found the issues that were seemingly so rampant via the posts on the DVC board, to be an issue for us. Not that there weren't issues, we just never saw them. A new resort in the DVC family always has to make its bones with members on this board! BLT is just up to bat so I wouldn't worry about it.

I do think black was a bad choice for a color since it does show a lot of stains. That would still be there if it wasn't a black couch, you just wouldn't see them!

Enjoy your stay and remember, all resorts get heat and its best to just remember that overal, most peole stay at their Disney resort and never have a problem.

I was one of the people fortunate enough to stay at BLT opening day (for 10 days). Although many of the materials used appear to be very durable, there were a few items that I wondered how well they would hold up over time. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again though. The resort is lovely, and the huge windows in the 1BR and larger units are fabulous! I would just go on your trip and have a fabulous time!

Stick with blt. Just got back and our room was very clean. Nothing I saw in the hotel appeared to be run-down. The location really can't be beat. At 40% off, that is a steal.

Very clean ... that's a huge plus. I'm glad you ddin't notice anything amiss.

Absolutely no offense intended to our fine friends on the DVC board.. but history has shown us these complaints pop up pretty much for EVERY DVC resort that ever opens.

Obviously some of these comments have merit.. but others may not be reasonable. Some wear and tear is to be expected... on any night after the 'first' night that a guest stays in a given room.

I have read complaints like the above from the opening of previous resorts. Some rooms will obviously be mistreated more than others.

I really WOULD NOT worry that much about this.. I do think it's overblown in that thread. (My own personal opinion)

I appreciate your perspective ... prior to the past few months, I've spent very little time on the DVC boards ... so did not know that the other new resorts went through similar growing pains.

I"m one of those who posted to the thread on the DVC board. Yes, there is excessive wear on the furniture and some staining on couches and it's not us "DVC members" with sour grapes over a new resort.
<snip>
I don't own at BLT, but at BWV and VWL, we did think about adding on and the resort is lovely and the wear wouldn't have distracted us as it's easy to repair. It does just seem that they did use sub par furniture and materials in the construction process.

I can appreciate your view ... and while knicks, scratches, and gouges are disapponting, what is really bugging me the most is the reports of stained couches. Considering what people pay for the rooms each night (whether it's in cash, cash with a discount, or DVC points + dues) - that's just not right.

It's encouraging to know that the wear and tear would not have caused you to not add-on. That said, it's a bit of a concern from an investment standpoint - if they used subpar materials, it seems logical to conclude that dues will rise quickly to cover the maintenance/replacement costs.

Tinks "SS";36699345 said:
One good thing that i can say is that it impressed my mother who went with me when my DH couldn't. She's pretty hard to please also and very picky and OCD cleanliness and neat. Hope this helps.

This does help ... my mom is also a bit hard to please and she is definitely an OCD clean/neat freak. Some of this has rubbed off on my sister and I as we are both peculiar about our hotel rooms - we like them to look clean and fresh. That said, we've stayed at a bunch of WDW resorts (Value, Mod and Deluxe) and have enjoyed our stays at each one - so we're not super hard to please either.

Certainly the resort is not a dump, but to DVC members that have invested thousands of dollars in this resort, they have reason to be disappointed in the materials that have been selected.
<snip>
If you get there and are not pleased you can certainly ask for another room.

From an investment standpoint, I totally get what you are saying. Hopefully we won't have to go to the step of requesting new rooms ... but if we do, so be it. It is our vacation ... and the thought of staring at a stained couch every night/morning/naptime for 7 nights would definitely be a turnoff. (Worse would be having broken AC.)

Since Bay Lake Tower is not even 1 year old yet I would worry about it because it's still the newest resort, so my advice is have a great time staying there.

I'm sure we will have a good time, thanks for your input.

<snip>
Enjoy your stay and remember, all resorts get heat and its best to just remember that overal, most peole stay at their Disney resort and never have a problem.

Thanks for the reply ... and especially for the reminder that most Disney Resort stays go off without a hitch.

I was one of the people fortunate enough to stay at BLT opening day (for 10 days). Although many of the materials used appear to be very durable, there were a few items that I wondered how well they would hold up over time. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again though. The resort is lovely, and the huge windows in the 1BR and larger units are fabulous! I would just go on your trip and have a fabulous time!

Thanks for the reassurances!

Not to put too fine a point on this but..

- I believe it was when I first joined in 2006 or maybe in 2007.. there were endless threads on the DVC boards about the terrible quality of Saratoga Springs construction and one thread in particular about the bathroom near the lobby and how terrible it was. It was terrible, someone had done real damage in there. But it was fixed. I can't comment on the quality of the construction or the materials and furnishings there.. but the complaints for that resort do seem to have dissipated a bit.

- There were some similar complaints about AKL when the first DVC rooms opened there.. but I haven't heard much on this lately..

It may well be the quality of the workmanship and materials and furnishings selected at BLT are sub-par. I have no idea on that point.

But I don't think that you'll have to worry about this on your trip.

Add to that.. all these resorts have built into their DVC planning and dues, plans to replace most furnishings and refurbish guest areas on a schedule of every 6 to 12 years. Basically, every six years they do a soft refurb and every twelve years they do a more extensive 'hard' refurb.

So whatever furniture is there now, will be replaced at the soonest in 5 years and in the most 11 years. The stuff that's there doesn't have to last 55 years.

And when you think about the amount of use, wear, tear and abuse all the furniture, hallways, walls & door trim and everything else will take from toddlers, teens, adults, senior citizens, those in mobility devices, those on foot, running, walking, behaving and misbehaving ... it stands to reason that a 'brand new' resort is going to show that wear and tear almost immediately.

It's kind of like when you get a new car.. The first year or so.. you hover over it.. you notice every single tiny little scratch, every ding in the paint, you name it. But eventually after about 18 months or so.. it becomes simply "the car" ... and you don't fuss over the next ding, scratch in the paint, etc..

This business being discussed here is a lot like that.

What Knox said. :thumbsup2

I'd also add that just as in any resort, don't feel that you need to accept a room that's in poor condition. Any resort can have some rooms that are a little overdue for refurbishment, and furniture, etc. in rooms can be damaged by previous guests.

If you feel that the room you're assigned is in unacceptably bad shape, walk right back down to the front desk and tell them your concerns, and ask for a different room.

While I am not discounting any complaints that are posted here or elsewhere, I will say that people are MUCH more likely to complain than they are to praise. For each "the couch cushion was stained" post, there are 10 "the resort is lovely" posts that didn't get posted...

<snip>

Add to that.. all these resorts have built into their DVC planning and dues, plans to replace most furnishings and refurbish guest areas on a schedule of every 6 to 12 years. Basically, every six years they do a soft refurb and every twelve years they do a more extensive 'hard' refurb.

So whatever furniture is there now, will be replaced at the soonest in 5 years and in the most 11 years. The stuff that's there doesn't have to last 55 years.

<snip>

It's kind of like when you get a new car.. The first year or so.. you hover over it.. you notice every single tiny little scratch, every ding in the paint, you name it. But eventually after about 18 months or so.. it becomes simply "the car" ... and you don't fuss over the next ding, scratch in the paint, etc..

This business being discussed here is a lot like that.

Great car analogy Knox, it makes a lot of sense. I'm going to be optomistic and predict that we'll love our rooms. (We've never had an onsite stayed that disappointed us yet.)

(That said, I've got to say that if couches are stained and ripped after less than a year, I don't want to imagine them eleven years - or even five years - down the road!:sick::scared::sad2::scared1:)

If you feel that the room you're assigned is in unacceptably bad shape, walk right back down to the front desk and tell them your concerns, and ask for a different room.

Thanks ... this is what we will plan to do - but hopefully, we won't have to.

While I am not discounting any complaints that are posted here or elsewhere, I will say that people are MUCH more likely to complain than they are to praise. For each "the couch cushion was stained" post, there are 10 "the resort is lovely" posts that didn't get posted...

So true. Point taken.

I think b/c I am the designated Disney planner - well, anywhere trip planner - that I feel more pressure to make sure that the rooms live up to everyone's expectations. It's not that my family doesn't take an interest in the planning, nor is that they would blame a "bad room" on me - it's more that I want us all to be comfortable and share a great experience.

I wouldn't call it "overblown" unless I had stayed there and seen otherwise for myself. ;)

I HAVE stayed there and had family in another villa there. There IS wear and tear already. It wasn't extensive in the 2 villas we were in, but it WAS there. It's disappointing that the furniture choices the designers made are not holding up to normal wear and tear as much as we all would like.

I think any complaint about wear and tear by a DVC Member HAS MERIT as we are the ones paying the maintenance fees each year that go towards repairing or replacing these items.

JMO :thumbsup2

Nobody is saying complaints by DVC members do not have merit. But rather that those complaints will be more likely to be posted because of your vested interest.

And as others, including myself have said, when SSR was new, the amount of flack that resort got was amazing. There were posts that ran pages and pages long about how cheap that resort was, how it had made DVC in general a joke, how it couldn't stack up to any other DVC resorts etc. Certain posters would not end their never ending criticism and hijacking of any and all threads relating to SSR (and I am not saying at all that is what you are doing in any way, shape or form or anyone else on the BLT thread or this thread). I guess my point is that now I rarely see those types of posts. I see posts where people maybe didnt' care for SSR but more posts where people talk about what a nice resort it is and how relaxing it is. Its not the new kid on the block anymore that is under a microscope at all times.

It sounds like DVC chose some poor finishes for these units. As Knox said, the dues for this resort and its maintainence are already figured in. Its up to BLT owners to go to the meetings and voice their disappointment and anger on this issue.

I think the OP just needed to hear that wear and tear is one thing, but that overall the place is nice and she/he didn't just make a huge mistake and is paying penthouse prices for trailer park accomodations.

So if people are saying its not a big deal, they are referring to the overal experience and not the issues you and others have to deal with of investing in something that is not quite what you think it should be.

The complaints may well have merit.

I was merely pointing out to the OP that I doubt that a few dings on the furniture will ruin her stay.

Obviously if there is a whole in the wall or very weird stains on the furniture.. I'd ask to be moved... as I would expect anyone to do.

The complaints may well have merit. But the OP is not a DVC member and is asking if it's so bad to make the rooms 'unstayable'. I can't imagine at this early date that could be the case.. how could they sell the units with a straight face if they 'that bad' ?

I was merely pointing out to the OP that I doubt that a few dings on the furniture or a mark in a door trim will ruin her stay.

Obviously if there is a hole in the wall or very weird stains on the furniture.. I'd ask to be moved... as I would expect anyone to do.

I think it's very fair to state the level of acceptability for cash guests is markedly different than those who bought DVC; primarily due to the sense of ownership for owners and not so much for cash guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter