BLT Stay - CR Pool?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We are renting a 2 BR at BLT next January and we are not currently DVC owners. Can we use the Contemporary pools while staying at BLT? I read somewhere that you could, but wasn't sure if that was exclusive to DVC guests?

Yes you can use the contemporary pool but honestly the BLT pool is nicer in my opinion. What you cannot do as renters is access the Top of the World Lounge (on the top floor of BLT). That is reserved for DVC owners and you are supposed to have to show your DVC member card in order to gain entry.

Yes you can use the contemporary pool but honestly the BLT pool is nicer in my opinion. What you cannot do as renters is access the Top of the World Lounge (on the top floor of BLT). That is reserved for DVC owners and you are supposed to have to show your DVC member card in order to gain entry.

Thank you! I knew about the lounge, but wasn't sure about everything else.

Unless you're from the far north, you may not want to get in the pool. Jan temps can be in the 40s, not prime swimming weather.

Unless you're from the far north, you may not want to get in the pool. Jan temps can be in the 40s, not prime swimming weather.

Yes, we are definitely from the north - 20 minutes from Canada. We did experience a 36 degree chilly day last month at our stay at the Polynesian, but we had a couple days that were close to 80 when our kids enjoyed the pool. They loved the Polynesian pool and I'm worried they won't be as excited about the BLT pool, but with 6 of us on this trip, a standard room at the Poly just wouldn't work.

People staying at BLT can use both the BLT and the CR pool but people staying at CR can only use the CR pool and are restricted from the BLT pool.

We hated the BLT pool the time we stayed there - you will enjoy the CR pool a lot. When we stayed there it was over a very warm spring break so it was definitely pool weather but by afternoon almost the entire pool area was sitting in shade of the BLT building. I like to have some sun when I'm lounging at the pool but there was none to be found. The pool and pool deck was also so small and over-crowded that all of the lounge chairs were literally touching one another. ZERO personal space to even put your bag somewhere. And I felt so bad for the lifeguards trying to watch the 2 thousand toddlers in the pool. It was so loud and overcrowded - the pool looked like one of those ball pit things. I wondered if there was a capacity limit posted somewhere. We finally gave up on trying to enjoy the BLT pool and went next door. OMG so much nicer. Lots of space, plenty of lounge chairs and thankfully some sunshine to enjoy in peace & quiet. But as already pointed out, it may or may not be pool weather in January. When we were at WDW the first week of January last month they actually closed them for about 36 hours as it was so cold. I always pack a bathing suit to bring on our January trips but I think we've only actually USED them 1 time - and that was in a hot tub.

That's funny because I really didn't like the CR pool very much. The quiet pool by the boat docks was nice but I didn't much like the main pool. However the BLT pool I did really like and find relaxing. I do agree with you about there being a lot of shade in the afternoon which can be a plus or minus depending on the person. I also liked the small kids slide for my 3 y/o which the CR pool did not have. OP not sure how old your kids are but just so you know BLT and CR do not have an awesome kids play area for 48 inches and under like the Poly. BLT and CR have some spray jets and BLT has a short slide into the regular pool for little ones but not like the Poly. The Poly feature pool in my opinion is much better than BLT or CR but also more crowded and not as relaxing. The oasis pool was under construction when we stayed there so I can't compare that-headed back there this spring so after that trip I can :)

That's funny because I really didn't like the CR pool very much. The quiet pool by the boat docks was nice but I didn't much like the main pool. However the BLT pool I did really like and find relaxing. I do agree with you about there being a lot of shade in the afternoon which can be a plus or minus depending on the person. I also liked the small kids slide for my 3 y/o which the CR pool did not have. OP not sure how old your kids are but just so you know BLT and CR do not have an awesome kids play area for 48 inches and under like the Poly. BLT and CR have some spray jets and BLT has a short slide into the regular pool for little ones but not like the Poly. The Poly feature pool in my opinion is much better than BLT or CR but also more crowded and not as relaxing. The oasis pool was under construction when we stayed there so I can't compare that-headed back there this spring so after that trip I can :)

Part of my issue with the BLT pool was with there being SOOOOO many little kids it just wasn't relaxing. It was noisy & overcrowded. My DS is now almost 20 and the time we stayed there he was probably 15 or 16. Toddler filled pools are not relaxing IMO nor was it a place my teen wanted to hang out. Also, if I DID have a small kid I would have been terrified of them being jumped on in that BLT pool because there were so many kids that couldn't be controlled. It reminded me of the very over-crowed kids pools on the Magic & Wonder back in the day when we cruised on them.

Our triplet were 7 when we stayed at the Poly, and will be 8 when we go next year. We went in January and the second day we were there it was 36 degrees. They still wanted to go in the pool, lol, but it was closed. It did open for several days on our trip, when it was closer to 80, but the Poly pool was fairly quiet during our stay. They are too big for a splash pad as are 50 inches or so. They were the most impressed with the big Poly slide. My 15 year old is impressed if the pool is big. (He'd probably love Storm Along Bay).

Part of my issue with the BLT pool was with there being SOOOOO many little kids it just wasn't relaxing. It was noisy & overcrowded. My DS is now almost 20 and the time we stayed there he was probably 15 or 16. Toddler filled pools are not relaxing IMO nor was it a place my teen wanted to hang out. Also, if I DID have a small kid I would have been terrified of them being jumped on in that BLT pool because there were so many kids that couldn't be controlled. It reminded me of the very over-crowed kids pools on the Magic & Wonder back in the day when we cruised on them.

Thanks for the feedback. This is concerning. We specifically go in January to enjoy smaller crowds. Were you possibly (hopefully) there during a more busy time?

We hated the BLT pool the time we stayed there - you will enjoy the CR pool a lot. When we stayed there it was over a very warm spring break so it was definitely pool weather but by afternoon almost the entire pool area was sitting in shade of the BLT building. I like to have some sun when I'm lounging at the pool but there was none to be found. The pool and pool deck was also so small and over-crowded that all of the lounge chairs were literally touching one another. ZERO personal space to even put your bag somewhere. And I felt so bad for the lifeguards trying to watch the 2 thousand toddlers in the pool. It was so loud and overcrowded - the pool looked like one of those ball pit things. I wondered if there was a capacity limit posted somewhere. We finally gave up on trying to enjoy the BLT pool and went next door. OMG so much nicer. Lots of space, plenty of lounge chairs and thankfully some sunshine to enjoy in peace & quiet. But as already pointed out, it may or may not be pool weather in January. When we were at WDW the first week of January last month they actually closed them for about 36 hours as it was so cold. I always pack a bathing suit to bring on our January trips but I think we've only actually USED them 1 time - and that was in a hot tub.

I agree with this 100%! I thought it was maybe because we had stayed at CR on our previous trips and loved the pool area. But the BLT pool is way too small and crowded for our taste. We tried going there a couple times but always ended up going over to the CR pool. There was way more space to spread out and I found it more relaxing. We typically go in April which I imagine would be busier than January.

Can also be in the 80s, and very frequently in the high 70s. Average is 71. When on the warm side of the average, great swimming weather, especially since the pools are heated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. This is concerning. We specifically go in January to enjoy smaller crowds. Were you possibly (hopefully) there during a more busy time?

That trip was over spring break - the week preceeding Easter. We went down on the Thurs or Fri evening of the week BEFORE that Easter week for 6 nights and then left for home a few days prior to Easter itself. So yeah, it was a busy week. But when we were there the first week of January this year it was pretty busy too. Of course it wasn't pool weather for a lot of that week...and with the pool being in the shade a lot of the day...BRRRR!! But I really don't like being squished in with my lounge chair touching someone else's lounge chair. There just wasn't any room anywhere to move to. The CR pool had plenty of personal space. Guess you'll just have to see for yourself. Maybe it won't bother you but I was appalled at how small they made the pool compared to how large BLT is. They really skimped on the size of the area.

We were down Jan 124-Feb 1, very crowded in the MK, other parks not so bad. Why, many CMs said because the Pro-Bowl was in Orlando.
It will be there again next year, plan accordingly if you're not into crowds.

That trip was over spring break - the week preceeding Easter. We went down on the Thurs or Fri evening of the week BEFORE that Easter week for 6 nights and then left for home a few days prior to Easter itself. So yeah, it was a busy week. But when we were there the first week of January this year it was pretty busy too. Of course it wasn't pool weather for a lot of that week...and with the pool being in the shade a lot of the day...BRRRR!! But I really don't like being squished in with my lounge chair touching someone else's lounge chair. There just wasn't any room anywhere to move to. The CR pool had plenty of personal space. Guess you'll just have to see for yourself. Maybe it won't bother you but I was appalled at how small they made the pool compared to how large BLT is. They really skimped on the size of the area.

We will be there the 2nd week of January, but it does sound like we will like the CR pool better.

If it's cooler the pools won't be crowded. If it's warmer then it can be at times. The BLT pool area is smaller but we've enjoyed when we've gone. Every day can have a different vibe. I for one like shade which it does get in the afternoon because of it's location but again, depending on the weather that isn't always a plus. What the BLT pool has is a nice size that it's easy to see your kids, a little splash area and a pretty cool looking slide. There's also the bar with a mug refill station and some food right there which you can walk over to without being away for any length of time. We've also enjoyed the CR pool too. Never used the new slide they added/updated but it does allow for spreading out more. Where it will be nice vs the Poly is that both pools have areas for the kids and slides vs the Poly. Not a Volcano but BLT has Mickey! We just use the BLT pool when we stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter