• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BLT Decision Help!

Cindaddy,
If I were in your position, I would wait because:
1. You're thinking it may be difficult to use the DP incentive (although you could put the points on deposit on RCI and have 2 more years to use them).

2. You're not planning a visit in the near future. So, buying early will not benefit you in making a reservation.

3. BLT is not open yet. Your points are in limbo 'til the resort opens.

4. With 3 chilren, you might want to change the number of points you are buying. If you had them re-write the contract (at a later time) you could add just a few more on. If you do an add on, it will be another 100 points minimum.

I am thinking about doing an add on. I have a June UY. I could wait until Sept when BLT opens and I would still get Jun '09 points and not have my money tied up during that time frame.. Or, I could wait until Dec (and I would still have time to bank my points).

But, if Disney increases the price it might be worth it to buy before a price increase takes effect.

If you can afford it, you better get on the waitlist before the kid is born. I had to waitlist my toddler(he's 12 now) to get into a good daycare center.

You start doing the happy dance once your toddler gets potty trained because the price goes down dramatically. :cheer2:

:offtopic: 2 weeks to the Bud Shootout. :cool1:
Oh yeah, and Tony Stewart weazled his way into the race!! I know, really..:offtopic: . I misread the OP's first post....see that you already have children!(Been a long day!). Anyhoo....take the above advice as well, get on that childcare waitlist!!!

Oh yeah, and Tony Stewart weazled his way into the race!! I know, really..:offtopic: . I misread the OP's first post....see that you already have children!(Been a long day!). Anyhoo....take the above advice as well, get on that childcare waitlist!!!

Thanks all! I think it's great the way everyone is going above and beyond providing the financial and schooling advice for my child. :goodvibes It's my third child and we are extremely prepared. We have a years worth of diapers already, won't be using formula and we won't need daycare/preschool. I've also put enough away in my flex spending to pay for the hospital expenses. I'm in great shape, but I appreciate the love. :grouphug:

Anyway, it seems like the general consensus is to wait. BLT is my first choice, but the idea of resale SSR does have merit. Convincing my wife is another story. :) I'll talk it over with my better half and see where we go. I'll probably give my guide a call as well. Thanks, again, to everyone.

Anyway, it seems like the general consensus is to wait. BLT is my first choice, but the idea of resale SSR does have merit.

Note that the newest resorts (AKV, BLT, and VGC) will accommodate 5 in a 1BR. For my family of 5, that's become really important.

Congrats, and good luck!

Note that the newest resorts (AKV, BLT, and VGC) will accommodate 5 in a 1BR. For my family of 5, that's become really important.

Congrats, and good luck!

Thanks! This is why I was thinking about adding some more points, but I may add them later. I wouldn't mind another incentive. :)

First of all , congratulations! I guess the one decision you will have to live with is - will you later regret that you didn't purchase now? We own at BCV, AKV, SSR, and recently added on at BLT. The reason we added on at BLT is the ease of getting around on the monorail (especially with children). Ours are grown and hopefully they'll be grandchildren in our future, but we are really concerned about being able to get into BLT during high times (like school breaks, summers - I am a teacher). By owning there, we can book at the 11 month window. I realize that you might not be able to use the developer points. We couldn't either so we booked vacations at SSR for family members. You might want to call your guide and increase the number of points if you are very close to the max for the room you want and the time you want (again, with kids, plan on going during school vacation time). Like DH says, I know the deal being offered now, it may be better later down the road, but we are happy with the decision we made now. It is also finished and off our plate. We don't have to think and watch and wait for the new incentives (if there are any). We can spend that time planning our next trip!

I wish you the best of luck with your decision. Buying into DVC was one of the best decisions we ever made.

:cool1: Then I would DEFINITELY buy!!!! If you are going to Disney at least once a year and possibly more, the value is definitely worth it. In our case, we could not secure fifty years of vacationing in this style for the price that we financed at SSR.

I believe, though, at some point you will be adding on because of the size of a studio and the size of your growing family.

Also, do not forget the flexibility of DVC. You can bank or borrow points from other years in order to meet your desires for a specific trip...travel during different seasons which will require a different amount of points, etc.

We and other families we know have added on time...that is proof in itself...

I really do not think that you will be disappointed with a DVC purchase...maybe disappointed in the future that you did not purchase more points...Again, congrats and good luck!

If you based your purchase on staying in a studio and now will be a family of five, I'd cancel at this point. Find a nice member who rents reservations and pay them.

For a family of five, these one bedroom villas get a bit crowded, even if they do have places for everyone to sleep. This means you have three in the living room. One in the living room is bad enough for me (but not bad enough to get a two bedroom for my son at this point).

Congrats! My first thought is now with three kids you REALLY can't afford a trip to Disney without DVC!!!! Take it from a family of 5!!! Not to mention the kitchens(kitchenettes) are invaluable with small children!
Unfortunately for us, we did not buy in until after #3 was born! Had we done it before, we would have had it paid for and then some with what we spent on hotels!!!! :sad2:

The point change had me a little spooked too, but then when you realize that they've only done this once before (1996, I think I read), I don't think it's going to be a recurring event.

During our 2003 trip, I was 6 1/2 months pregnant. DD was due in Sept, too! I was very worried about the heat and such, but it turned out to be one of our best trips ever! DH rode the bigger rides with our two sons, and I would walk through the shops or sit in the shade. Obviously, it's your DW's call.

If you can't manage a trip with developer points this year, why not rent them out and save the cash for next year's trip? Or, help offset your costs from this year? Just a thought!

Good luck with your decision!:goodvibes

IF you're having serious reservations, then why the rush? Chances are you can't use it for quite some time anyway. I would think chasing two little ones in WDW while pregnant would be hard. And chasing two little ones @ WDW with a newborn in tow wouldn't be a cakewalk either.

BLT isn't going anywhere, your peace of mind is worth a lot.

DO IT!!! You and your family will be so happy with it. If you already have two kids, your pretty much financially set. Did you get in before the price increase? If you really aren't interested, don't.

The Dev. points you get, sure you can use anytime before the expiration, or place them into RCI. Your 50 years hasn't even started yet. Points on a chart will always remain the same, meaning total number.

Price per point, it used to be half what it is now. 15 years ago granted. Prices have gone up in the last 2 years at an increasing rate.

Look at resale options to. If Disney is good for your family now, DVC will be GREAT!!!

Thanks for all the great viewpoints! You guys(and gals) are great! I'm still trying to decide. I'm thinking that a studio at BLT won't be a good choice for long with our growing family, but adding points should be easy. I really need to make a decision in the next day or so. DW is going to kill me. :) She just left for the store and told me that she wants a decision when she get's back! :scared: When I look at my spreadsheet showing dues increasing at 3% over 50 years, it makes my eyes bug out.

I know you have a lot of replies already but - IMO I would buy - we bought akv in Sept and just called this past week to add on at BLT. Our decision was more points at AKV or BLT add-on - I chose BLT for the monorail & lower MF - We have 3 kids all girls under the age of 5 - (congrats its great having 3) So I also liked that the newer 1br sleep 5 not counting a child under 3. We like to go to DIsney at least once a year for more than a week - work permitting. So the add-on made sense to us. Plus I had called our guide before the price increase inquiring about adding on so we got the lower price since we called back with in 30 days of talking to her about it originally. We are also like you $wise - no daycare, $ is fine & was not the issue. We wanted the 11 month advantage at the monorail resort and we wanted the same UY so that all our points would be able to be used for resorts that we not our home - ( i want to stay everywhere at least once including DL) SO that is why we bought now & from Disney(no closing costs either plus DP) oh and on the DP note - you could rent them out:) or bank them in RCI for 2 yrs.

Thanks for all the great viewpoints! You guys(and gals) are great! I'm still trying to decide. I'm thinking that a studio at BLT won't be a good choice for long with our growing family, but adding points should be easy. I really need to make a decision in the next day or so. DW is going to kill me. :) She just left for the store and told me that she wants a decision when she get's back! :scared: When I look at my spreadsheet showing dues increasing at 3% over 50 years, it makes my eyes bug out.

So what did you decide?

FWIW, a lot of us got spooked by the sudden 2010 chart changes. I expect that issue is a long way from being settled however. DVC management has a lot more explaining and settling of ruffled feathers to do.

Given the size of your new family, I'd listen to BWV Dreamin's advice. The studios will be fine for a few years but they'll get cramped fast. And a 1bedroom is a lot nicer with the in-room laundry and small kids.

If you had purchased just enough to cover a studio in September (Adventure season), then I'd give some serious planning to possible point increases. If they decide to rebalance the charts again, they'll probably find it easiest to shave a bit off the more expensive seasons and add it to the cheapest ones. You'll want/need a cushion to guard against that. Budgeting for the smallest unit in the cheapest season leaves you only with the flexibility of reducing vacation days.

Keep in mind that while SSR can be had for a nice resale price, the 1bedrooms and studios only accommodate 4 people. AKV has a larger 1bedroom that can suit 5 people like BLT.

Of course if you're able to bump up your purchase to afford a 2bedroom, SSR & AKV will be a lot cheaper. And SSR has just started selling the newer Treehouse Villa units (three bedrooms that sleep 9). A lot of us expect those to be very popular with families, especially with schoolage children.

Last, you're not alone in hesitating on a BLT contract. If you're over 100 points then it pays to just wait a bit. Only those with under 100 pt contracts are under the gun due to the raise in the minimum add-on.

And good luck and congratulations! New babies are a blessing for everyone.

My DW and I talked it over last night. I believe that we're going to cancel and not move forward. I haven't officially canceled, yet. I agree with the sentiment that the studio will not be enough in the long run. We would really need to up the points to make it worthwhile. Looking at the maintenance fees for that number of points over the life of the contract is a bit intimidating. I've wanted to buy BLT ever since I heard it was coming, so it's kind of tough. I know I've said this many times already, but thanks to everyone. Maybe I'll rent some points and get to stay there some day.

I will put my case here to see if it helps you:

I purchased on Feb 2005 at SSR, but the units were not ready until August (that ended up being my use year). However, I was able to make my reservations for thanksgiving of 2005 in feb once I closed my contract.
I found out I was prego with DD#2 on that particular trip. Had planned another trip for May 2006.
Went on my May trip, 6 months preg and one two year old: doable, but at very, very slow pace (afternoon naps, pool, just a couple of hours/day in the parks during mornings and another couple late in the afternoon if necessary)
Went on Jan 2007 with my 2 DDs (baby was 6 months old), again, doable, but tiring.

With that in mind, if you have your mind set on buying, don't do it thinking about going into a studio. With a baby, you want that 1 bd where you can put the baby to sleep while the others are in the living room watching TV, playing or eating. Even if the occupancy of the studio allows it until the baby is 3, you will have a much better time having the privacy of the bedroom.

I will put my case here to see if it helps you:

I purchased on Feb 2005 at SSR, but the units were not ready until August (that ended up being my use year). However, I was able to make my reservations for thanksgiving of 2005 in feb once I closed my contract.
I found out I was prego with DD#2 on that particular trip. Had planned another trip for May 2006.
Went on my May trip, 6 months preg and one two year old: doable, but at very, very slow pace (afternoon naps, pool, just a couple of hours/day in the parks during mornings and another couple late in the afternoon if necessary)
Went on Jan 2007 with my 2 DDs (baby was 6 months old), again, doable, but tiring.

With that in mind, if you have your mind set on buying, don't do it thinking about going into a studio. With a baby, you want that 1 bd where you can put the baby to sleep while the others are in the living room watching TV, playing or eating. Even if the occupancy of the studio allows it until the baby is 3, you will have a much better time having the privacy of the bedroom.

Thanks. This does help. I agree that I need the 1 BR at minimum. Over the life of the contract, the 1BR comes out to about $449/night (MK view). That's actual money assuming the MF goes up at 3%, not point value. A great deal, for sure, on a suite like that. You could get a standard view 2 BR for that rate as well. It appears to make more sense for me to rent 2 rooms in a moderate/value on discount and do a deluxe once in a while.

There is one alternative that I'm still looking at. I could sell the contract by halfway through. This brings the cost down substantially. That's the only thing that might save this.

If you can afford it(and it looks like you can) do it and worry about adding more points on later(there will probably be another incentive) You seem like you really want to do this and the location of the BLT would be prefect for your family especially with the new baby. Also the fact that it would accomodate 5 in the 1 bedroom is the icing on the cake.

NO matter how hard you plan there is going to be a wrench thrown in somewhere. Look at the poor DVC owners who bought exactly enough points to meet there needs and then BAM! the points change. I bought 150 in 2005,made my 1st trip, LOVED it and then added 30 more points and waited patiently for the BLT and bought more points.

If worse came to worse you could alway use the DVC every other year and stay in a 1 bedroom standard view room and then stay in a hotel the other year if you don't have enough points. And who knows you could have twins!!!:rotfl: or 2 more kids in the future.

Congratulations!!! and GOOD LUCK

Thanks. This does help. I agree that I need the 1 BR at minimum. Over the life of the contract, the 1BR comes out to about $449/night (MK view). That's actual money assuming the MF goes up at 3%, not point value. A great deal, for sure, on a suite like that. You could get a standard view 2 BR for that rate as well. It appears to make more sense for me to rent 2 rooms in a moderate/value on discount and do a deluxe once in a while.

Did you decided already? It looks from previous posts that you already decided to wait.
I just wanted to give you another example, in this case financial:
This summer we are going with my stepson, we are 5 in total, so I have a reservation on the beach club for 6 nights in a 2 bd for a total cost of 275 points.
There are some people that calculate de $ value of their points at $10, but I do it at what it actually cost me in monthly fees + the cost of the points themselves divided by the amount of years I have in my contract, not how much they are worth if I rented, so my $ cost per point is about $6. That is a total of $1650 for a 2 bd villa or $275/night for 6 nights in a deluxe resort, with a great pool complex.
I just quoted how much would it cost for the same time period to stay in 2 regular rooms at Port Orleans ang got a total of $2,520 (just the rooms). So, you will have to wait for a discount of about 35% to come about for things to be economically equal, and you will be staying in a modarate instead of a deluxe!!
Probably your own calculations on the cost of points will be higher because, well points are more expensive now than 4 years ago, but in four years, if not sooner, you will start looking at the price of cash reservations and thinking how cool it is that you no longer have to worry about the increasing cost of hotel rooms. (You will still worry about ticket and food cost, but that would be another thread)
Well, that is my take on things financially and what it helped me at the end to decide to buy.

Hope it helps and don't confuse you more ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter