Bloody nose prevention - Florida heat?

kaze1sd

If you see my Alien Green paint chip tags, say hi!
Hi all!

Sorry if this is sort of a grotesque subject but I frequently get bloody noses when it gets very hot.

My wife and I are planning to have are Disneymoon (and first WDW trip) in September [edit: orignally said "December"] and from what I understand the temperatures will still be in the mid-90's and above.

Do you guys know of any precautions that I can take to help avoid this? I would hate to ruin that magic for the other vacationers by having a nose bleed in the middle of a queue.

Thanks in advance for the advice?

Are your nose bleeds a moisture thing? I frequently got nose bleeds as a kid during the summer in CA. I remember that applying a little vasaline with a q-tip helped quite a bit. I didn't have problems after moving to the more humid mid-west as a teen, nor do I have problems now living in humid New England. I also have never had a problem in hot and humid FL, and I'm guessing that if your issue is moisture related you will probably be fine in FL. Another option for moisture would be a saline mist.

Good Luck!

kaze1sd said:
My wife and I are planning to have are Disneymoon (and first WDW trip) in December and from what I understand the temperatures will still be in the mid-90's and above.

I live in FL and although I have never had a problem with nosebleeds myself I have several friends that have had them. From what I hear it is a lack of moisture problem, not heat related. Usually here it is from the indoor AC, not the outdoor humid heat.

That being said, even if your problem was heat related, whoever told you that the normal temperatures for Orlando in December was in the mid to upper 90's lied to you!!!! :rolleyes: Unless there is some freaky weird weather thing going on, the average temp is the mid to upper 70's in December. I do live north of Orlando, so I confirmed this through google (look around and see for yourself).

Relax and enjoy your trip. Bring along some vaseline or nasal saline solution for peace of mind, but you should be fine :thumbsup2

My DD gets frequent nose bleeds in our dry southwest climate. She also gets them with more frequency when she catches a cold or during allergy season. She didn't have any problems while in Florida though since the air was so moist. When at home though, she puts a very tiny amount of Vaseline inside each nostril before bed. That seems to do the trick. This has been going on since she was 2 years old. Her doctor recommended using K-Y Jelly since it's safer than Vaseline, but it didn't help. The Vaseline is safe if you use it in tiny amounts. The danger is that you could inhale it into your lungs and it won't go away in there! So, just use enough to lightly coat your pinky.

Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon!

KY in your NOSE?! ACK!!! :rotfl: I actually had a doctor tell me the same thing and all it did was result in KY sliding from my nose all day. It was beyond gross. I've suffered from nosebleeds all my life and will also be on my honeymoon in August...I usually get nose bleeds as a result of the back and forth of AC and brutal heat...my problem is that the veins in my nose are very close to the surface and when it gets hot and/or dry things just crack and gush. Yes it's gross...keeping your nose moisturized and a big ol supply of kleenex is the best you can do. (okay this is a further gross thing, but it works...if you cut a tampon in half and stuff it up your nose when it's bleeding, it really helps the bleeding to stop quickly as it adds needed pressure. It can mean the difference between a few minutes and an hour of bleeding) ACK hope I don't get censored!!

good luck!!!

lisabelll said:
That being said, even if your problem was heat related, whoever told you that the normal temperatures for Orlando in December was in the mid to upper 90's lied to you!!!! :rolleyes: Unless there is some freaky weird weather thing going on, the average temp is the mid to upper 70's in December. I do live north of Orlando, so I confirmed this through google (look around and see for yourself).

I aplogize, I meant to say... er, type September instead of December.

It sounds like I got the same nose as you do littleladykaty. Your description describes my problem identically.

I guess I'm going to have to pick the way I kill everybody's magic...
a) have a bloody nose in a queue
b) have a bloody tampon coming out my nose in a queue
c) have vaseline (which probably looks alot like mucus) come sliding out my nose in the middle of a queue

So sounds to me the only viable solution to use without getting banned from the parks is the SALINE SPRAY. Yeah, I think we have a winner. :thumbsup2

If it is a heat related thing, I am taking a O2cool mini misting fan, a Misty Mate, and a Camelback.

Thanks all for the help!

If I get one that I cannot stop, I put an icy cold washcloth on the back of my neck for a few minutes. That seems to help me.

You could pack a washcloth in a baggie full of ice. Or better yet, get those 1$ instant ice packs. I think you shake them and they get cold. I bought a couple at the dollar spot in the Target for our trip.

stay hydrated on the inside. drink LOTS of water. this will reduce or prevent nose bleeds.

good luck and take care!

My 14 yr old DS just had surgery 3 wks ago for this problem (too many veins in nose), poor kid has suffered nose bleeds since he was a toddler. Anyway, K-Y jelly in nostrils, before bedtime (not in the morning), saline spray to keep moist, I guess you won't have a humidifier, Afrin nose spray-in case of a bleed, also a trick I learned, and have taught many others(actually taught his nose surgeon too, LOL), take a small piece of clean gauze, roll/fold it up, put it under top lip, over the gums, and apply pressure to it(hold fingers below nose, above lips), I guess it's an acupressure point, but it works!!!

Best of luck!!

Oh, I forgot, keep the pressure on and you will feel a clot form, my DS would feel it back of nose/top of throat, and then spit out the clot/sorry if this is gross for some people.

It could be the heat, but could also be the chlorine (if you swim). If it is due to lack of moisture there is a saline nasal spray that you can use whenever you need. (its just saline so you cannot spray too much). It is located with the other nasal sprays..one brand is ocean, but as long as its just saline the brand doesn't matter.

*also helps if you are prone to sinus infections as a precautionary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter