Blood Donation?

-DisneyFreak-

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at
Hey guys,
So here lately I've been wanting to donate blood. I have to wait until February to donate,due to the fact that you have to be 17. But I was wondering have you guys ever donated... If so your experience,pictures,things I should know? and if you don't know your blood type will they tell you?

btw I'm terrified of needles but I know it's worth it to save 3 lives!<3

:goodvibes:goodvibesThat's awesome that your donating blood! I'm not old enough nor don't think I could do it but I have had many friends who have done it. If you ask some places will tell you your blood type after. I know the Red Cross will. They just have to test it in a lab first. Also there are some kits. I know too my friends got free juice and a tee shirt. Good Luck finding out your blood type and kudos for donating blood! :thumbsup2

Thanks! Our school has two blood drives a year and I think if you can you should... you know what I mean? If I was in the situation that I needed blood I would hope someone would donate for me so I think I should only return the favor, even if it means conquering my fear of needles!:thumbsup2

Thanks! Our school has two blood drives a year and I think if you can you should... you know what I mean? If I was in the situation that I needed blood I would hope someone would donate for me so I think I should only return the favor, even if it means conquering my fear of needles!:thumbsup2

i can't, too skinny.......

ive had to do it for medical work.......not fun.

I've never donated blood. I wouldn't be able to, first of all. Second of all, I'm not old enough yet. You have to be sixteen or something? My brother has though, and he seemed to think it was pretty easy. I couldn't do it though... I'd pass out or something like that. :blush:

Honestly I'm super scared but I know it will benefit someone's life and to me, that makes all the difference. Hopefully I don't pass out or something to that nature... That would be embarassing infront of all the upper-classmen haha.

My dad donates blood (well platelets, but it's the same thing basically except they take the blood out in one arm, sort the platelets, and put it back in the other arm) regularly. Now that my brother is 16 he also has been into it too. I'm too young but my dad says it's really nothing, and it makes it 10x easier knowing your saving someones life. The only advice I can give you is don't look at the needle! :goodvibes
Congratulations on doing this, several of my friends have needed blood from a donor. I don't know if I would be brave enough! Good Luck! :thumbsup2

Thanks! I'm pretty sure my eyes are going to be closed the whole time hahaha,:-)

Make sure you drink some juice and have some sugar biscuits or fruit before you go in. They usually give you those after you donate, but the first time I had a blood test I passed out because I hadn't eaten (I had to fast for the test though) but the person told me if I ever donate blood to make sure I eat/drink before! And make sure you remember to breathe. It sounds silly but if you don't breathe you'll pass out too haha

Thanks for your advice! I'm pretty sure I'll be eating a lot iron and fruit a week or so before! Like I said before I really hope I don't pass out in front of the upper classmen considering I'll only be a Sophomore haha:-)

I'm 16, and my parents signed paper work so I was allowed to donate blood this past February. I am also terribly terrified of needles. I just don't look while they put the needle in and then just keep breathing and listen to what the nurses say. It is not as bad as people make it seem! Trust me! I drank tons and tons of water two days before and had a ginormous breakfast. Everything went well the first time I donated. I have donated blood 3 or 4 times already and its fun:) There is free food! And last time I donated I got a free shirt!! Don't be too afraid, the worst part is the finger prick at the 'pre-check up' to make sure you have enough Iron in your body! After the prick its not bad! Hope all goes well!

I tried giving blood but there's an issue with my veins, plus we think I may have had a blood transfusion as a baby and if I have, I'll never be allowed to donate blood :( still, that's a really great thing you're doing! My mom and fiance do it and I'm so proud of them, I wish I could too!

I've donated before. I am unable to now though because I am anemic. I have to take iron pills or else my body wont have the necessary amounts of iron. Even if I eat a lot of food with iron, my body still doesn't keep it.

Anyways, eat before hand, but not a lot. Since they are removing a large amount of blood from your body at a fast rate, it can make a lot of people very sick to their stomachs. Also, when they tell you not to move after they take the needle out, don't move. You may feel fine sitting there, but when you get up, you will feel very weak. I've never been bothered by needles but a few of my friends are. They say when they donate they don't even notice the needle being pushed into their arm. The people who put the needle in are very experienced. The finger prick to see if you have enough iron in your system actually hurts the worse. Since it's a very sensitive part of our hand. My finger always stayed sore for a few days after.

I donated blood once last February at our schools drive and it went great till I had to go to the bathroom right after donating. I collapsed on the way, I remember a bunch a paramedics being around me and like every school administrator and they had to take me to the hospital via ambulance. I got a blood transfusion there so I can never give again. I know my experience is rather rare another girl had to go to the ER via ambulance too but other than that everyone did great. Don't be afraid because of my one freak experience.

I donated blood once last February at our schools drive and it went great till I had to go to the bathroom right after donating. I collapsed on the way, I remember a bunch a paramedics being around me and like every school administrator and they had to take me to the hospital via ambulance. I got a blood transfusion there so I can never give again. I know my experience is rather rare another girl had to go to the ER via ambulance too but other than that everyone did great. Don't be afraid because of my one freak experience.

I am almoost 16 and im extra skinny for my age. I only way 82 pounds for a junior this year. This causes me to not be able to donate for the school, even when I become old enough. Every doctor's visit I have to take blood. I used to be extra scared up until about a year ago. I don't look ( it kind of pysics me out ) but yes stay hydrated and if you need to hold on to something with your other hand feel free to ask if the nurses have anything. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter